Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The next 5 months of Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next 5 months of Trump

The news is that the white house is worried about the upcoming election. Trump's polling numbers in general are down, his economy's in bad shape, and Biden appears to be leading on a number of fronts.

One example of this worry is that he was counselled by his administration/campaign about needing to do something re. the violence associated with the protests. This supposedly was the source of him trying to look tough last week - calling himself the law and order president, violently dispersing mostly peaceful protesters to cross the street, etc.

Trump appears to be highly motivated by a need to please his base, not to mention people who might otherwise decide to vote for him. Given that his numbers aren't looking great right now - how do folks here think this will affect the next few months before the election?

Will he try to sound different (ie. more of a tough moderate, etc)? Will he try to appeal to black voters with more than "what have you got to lose"? Will he propose populist programs, or programs otherwise designed to aid the average voter?

I'm stuck trying to figure out if he'll keep being the exact same person, or whether he'll try to reinvent himself.

Things change quickly.

CNN recently released a poll showing that Trump has now moved ahead in several battleground states.

Gaining 2 million jobs when experts were predicting that we were going to lose nearly that many indicates that the economy is turning around.

The Democrats have positioned themselves as the pro-riot/insurrection party and are pushing to disband the police -- which polls show are minority positions.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Things change quickly.

CNN recently released a poll showing that Trump has now moved ahead in several battleground states.

Gaining 2 million jobs when experts were predicting that we were going to lose nearly that many indicates that the economy is turning around.

The Democrats have positioned themselves as the pro-riot/insurrection party and are pushing to disband the police -- which polls show are minority positions.
      I'd like to see the poll. Can you provide a link?

Comment

Trump will destroy Biden in the debates. He's better at it. When he gets Biden off script, it will be a bloodbath. Whether that will or will not boost his poll numbers remains to be seen... but I don't worry too much about polls. And with 5 months of probable economic recovery under his belt, some of the tarnish will be gone.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I've got a bottle of absinth in the cooler, I'll be drinking it in the company of friends when Trump gets reelected.

Comment

Originally posted by Whateverman View Post
            The news is that the white house is worried about the upcoming election. Trump's polling numbers in general are down, his economy's in bad shape, and Biden appears to be leading on a number of fronts.

One example of this worry is that he was counselled by his administration/campaign about needing to do something re. the violence associated with the protests. This supposedly was the source of him trying to look tough last week - calling himself the law and order president, violently dispersing mostly peaceful protesters to cross the street, etc.

Trump appears to be highly motivated by a need to please his base, not to mention people who might otherwise decide to vote for him. Given that his numbers aren't looking great right now - how do folks here think this will affect the next few months before the election?

Will he try to sound different (ie. more of a tough moderate, etc)? Will he try to appeal to black voters with more than "what have you got to lose"? Will he propose populist programs, or programs otherwise designed to aid the average voter?

I'm stuck trying to figure out if he'll keep being the exact same person, or whether he'll try to reinvent himself.
            Being the narcisistic authoritarian that he is, I don't think he has it in him to change his ways, and at this point I don't think the act would be fooling anyone. My guess is that he and the Republican loyalist will do whatever they are able to suppress the vote and when he loses he will claim election fraud and refuse to leave. Either that, or he will recognize he is going to lose and will seek asylum in Russia which Putin will happily grant.

Comment

5 months is an eternity in politics.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Things change quickly.

For one thing the CNN poll is only the response of 583 people in 15 battleground states. For another every other poll has Biden rising or leading in battleground states which even the administration is aware of.

Comment

So, among supporters and opponents here, the consensus seems to be he'll keep doing the same thing...

He's a VERY reactionary politician. If he thinks he needs to change (and that's the key factor), he changes without hesitation or worry about what he's said/done in the past.

I don't think he's going to remain static...

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    I've got a bottle of absinth in the cooler, I'll be drinking it in the company of friends when Trump gets reelected.
                    From this comment, I can't tell whether you'd be celebrating or mourning...

Comment

From this comment, I can't tell whether you'd be celebrating or mourning...

Comment

So, among supporters and opponents here, the consensus seems to be he'll keep doing the same thing...

He's a VERY reactionary politician. If he thinks he needs to change (and that's the key factor), he changes without hesitation or worry about what he's said/done in the past.

He does not care for a second about consistency and he will luckily lie his way out of anything he has previously said. I have no doubt about that. His problem right now, however, is one I believe he cannot possibly solve. He needs to unify the country. He is completely incompetent when it comes to that. His followers, or many of them, will happily find ways to explain or excuse any change in his direction. However, after years and years in which he has lived by conflict, fear and hate, he is not going to convince many to believe him IF he ever tries to unite the country. He can escalate a conflict. I have a very hard time imagining he can do the opposite. And that is what the situation calls for.

Comment

I tend to agree with this assessment in Psychology Today.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/us/bl...y-donald-trump

"In summary, what we can expect from Trump is what we have already seen and know about his reputation."

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            That could be the theme for 2020 so far.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That could be the theme for 2020 so far.
                              This is the most boring of the darkest timeliness.

Comment