Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Defund Police...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    In other words they won't be getting funding unless they reform. Yes, he's being careful with his words, because he's running for President, and he knows how republicans like Trump and yourself will try to spin them and use them against him as if he wants to abolish law enforcement, like ya'll are already doing.
    CNN Politics....

Biden's campaign rejected the phrase "defund the police" and called for more funding for police departments to implement policy changes. But the former vice president also supports some of the principles the phrase's advocates champion.

In the statement, Bates said that Biden supports "the urgent need for reform -- including funding for public schools, summer programs, and mental health and substance abuse treatment separate from funding for policing -- so that officers can focus on the job of policing."

Biden is calling for more funding for training, community policing programs, hiring more diverse police forces and body cameras for police officers.

In JimLWorld, Biden is very clearly saying DEFUND POLICE.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Actually, Jim, I'm rather ambivalent about Trump's chances.
      Me too, I think a lot of people are just tired of the drama.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And you're still competing with Trump for lying fool.
        Oh, you're supporting Biden this time around are you.
        You always go low when you're losing an argument. Every time.
        I'm only losing the argument in your mind, but as usual you're wrong. You just don't know how to read between the lines. Bidens not for defunding, but if they don't reform, they'll be defunded. Get it? And he also wants to reallocate funds to social programs taking the responsibility away from police. Defunding. He's just not giving you the words you would like to hear so as to use them against him in the election. Too bad.
        Last edited by JimL; 06-09-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Oh, you're supporting Biden this time around are you.
          Lame attempt at trolling noted.

I'm only losing the argument...
          BIGLY.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Lame attempt at trolling noted.

BIGLY.
            Would it not be more honest to avoid changing the actual meaning of his statement and then write your rebuttal?
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              Would it not be more honest to avoid changing the actual meaning of his statement and then write your rebuttal?
              Would it not be more honest for him to stop trolling and actually type something intelligent? Perhaps you can give him some guidance along those lines.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                I love when the Dems write Trump's commercials for him! He will ride this defund nonsense all the way to the election.
                Trump continues to be blessed by the nature of his opponents.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• 101848793_579299413002100_6716734155989173772_n.jpg
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

That doesn't mean abolish police altogether, it means remaking the system. Camden NJ has already done this years ago. They disbanded the police, fired them all, including the Chief of police, then they refomed the system, retrained and rehired those who were fired, including the Chief of Police, and the result was that crime went way dowm, and murders went down by 70%. The Police chief is now a huge proponent of disbanding, reforming, retraining and reallocating funds to the community.
                    Defunding doesn't necessarily mean the exact same thing to everyone, but the main point is reform, not abolishing law enforcement altogether.
                    You are in denial. I don't blame you, it sounds insane doesn't it?

But, they have said that they will dismantle the police department and replace it with social workers. Not "rebuild" it. Get rid of it.

Now, I am pretty sure that will never actually happen, but that is what they are saying they will do and voted for. No more police department.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                      Yes, the National Guard didn't turn on their body cams when they shot and killed a protester (or deleted it). Big surprise there.

And you seem to be in complete denial about the bad behavior of cops during these protests.
                      You seem to be ignoring the bad behavior of the protestors during these protests. Where there are peaceful protests the cops don't bother the people. Where there are riots and looting, they need to be controlled by the police.

The rioters have killed more black people than the police have at this point. Why don't we dismantle the protests first?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

The national guard has killed a protester, and their body cams just so happened not have been turned on.
                        This what you're talking about? https://www.stripes.com/news/us/nati...ut-us-1.632057
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Its just a semantical argument. Biden's not for defunding in the sense that you choose to understand the slogan, i.e abolishing the police. He is for reform in the sense of reallocating funds to social programs.
                          AND, more....

Comment

• Top congressional Democrats steer clear of 'defund the police' rhetoric

(CNN)Top congressional Democrats are steering clear of the growing calls by activists to "defund the police," saying they sympathize with the intent behind the movement but are concerned that the rhetoric could undercut efforts at the federal level to overhaul policing practices nationwide.

"I think it can be used as a distraction -- and that's my concern," said Rep. Karen Bass, chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, and a lead sponsor of the Democrats' new bill to impose national policing standards. "Because what I said is what I believe is the real intent, which is to address the root causes of crime."

The sentiment was echoed by top Democrats on Monday after calls to cut funding for local law enforcement picked up steam at protests across the country sparked by the death of George Floyd after a police officer in Minneapolis knelt on his neck.
                            The city council there announced it would seek to dismantle the police department, though the city's mayor, Jacob Frey, later said he wouldn't seek "to abolish the police."

"Defunding police departments are not the answer," House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, a Democrat of Maryland, told CNN on Monday. "We need police departments; we need to keep peace and order. This effort is about making sure that those who we give the authority to exercise that authority in a way that's positive and expected by the American people."

On a private caucus call Monday afternoon, senior House Democrats raised concerns, with House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn warning that talk about "defunding the police" could "hijack" efforts on police reform. Other Democrats, including Rhode Island Rep. David Cicilline and Bass, also spoke out about the phrase, according to a source on the call.

"There are a lot of slogans out there that aren't helpful. People can use that if they want to," Clyburn told CNN earlier in the day. But, he added, "they need to restructure," referring to police.

After Clyburn warned against it, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has previously spoken out in favor of slashing the NYPD budget, discussed the defunding issue, according to two sources on call.
                            She urged her colleagues to try to understand the debate and not to mock it, the sources said.

The fear among Democrats is that the phrase "defund the police" may be seen by many as a stark and dangerous proposition, one that would leave communities without law enforcement. While there is a wide spectrum of views about what exactly supporters are seeking through the movement, many proponents describe it something more than just police reforms, but something less than getting rid of police departments altogether.

"That's not the term I would use," Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts told CNN when asked if she's supportive of the talk to defund the police. "But I think it's important for all of us to listen to the pain and lived experiences of the people who are protesting, who have created a movement for real change. ... We need to put more resources responding to mental health issues and substance abuse. We need to demilitarize our police forces. There are a lot of things we need to do."

Others were more blunt. "That's stupid. OK, that's crazy and anyone that talks about that is nuts," said Sen. Joe Manchin, a conservative West Virginia Democrat.

Only an ignorant extreme left wing nutter would even TRY to defend the "defund the police" idiocy.

Comment

Top congressional Democrats steer clear of 'defund the police' rhetoric

(CNN)Top congressional Democrats are steering clear of the growing calls by activists to "defund the police," saying they sympathize with the intent behind the movement but are concerned that the rhetoric could undercut efforts at the federal level to overhaul policing practices nationwide.

"I think it can be used as a distraction -- and that's my concern," said Rep. Karen Bass, chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus, and a lead sponsor of the Democrats' new bill to impose national policing standards. "Because what I said is what I believe is the real intent, which is to address the root causes of crime."

The sentiment was echoed by top Democrats on Monday after calls to cut funding for local law enforcement picked up steam at protests across the country sparked by the death of George Floyd after a police officer in Minneapolis knelt on his neck.
                              The city council there announced it would seek to dismantle the police department, though the city's mayor, Jacob Frey, later said he wouldn't seek "to abolish the police."

"Defunding police departments are not the answer," House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, a Democrat of Maryland, told CNN on Monday. "We need police departments; we need to keep peace and order. This effort is about making sure that those who we give the authority to exercise that authority in a way that's positive and expected by the American people."

On a private caucus call Monday afternoon, senior House Democrats raised concerns, with House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn warning that talk about "defunding the police" could "hijack" efforts on police reform. Other Democrats, including Rhode Island Rep. David Cicilline and Bass, also spoke out about the phrase, according to a source on the call.

"There are a lot of slogans out there that aren't helpful. People can use that if they want to," Clyburn told CNN earlier in the day. But, he added, "they need to restructure," referring to police.

After Clyburn warned against it, New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has previously spoken out in favor of slashing the NYPD budget, discussed the defunding issue, according to two sources on call.
                              She urged her colleagues to try to understand the debate and not to mock it, the sources said.

The fear among Democrats is that the phrase "defund the police" may be seen by many as a stark and dangerous proposition, one that would leave communities without law enforcement. While there is a wide spectrum of views about what exactly supporters are seeking through the movement, many proponents describe it something more than just police reforms, but something less than getting rid of police departments altogether.

"That's not the term I would use," Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts told CNN when asked if she's supportive of the talk to defund the police. "But I think it's important for all of us to listen to the pain and lived experiences of the people who are protesting, who have created a movement for real change. ... We need to put more resources responding to mental health issues and substance abuse. We need to demilitarize our police forces. There are a lot of things we need to do."

Others were more blunt. "That's stupid. OK, that's crazy and anyone that talks about that is nuts," said Sen. Joe Manchin, a conservative West Virginia Democrat.

Only an ignorant extreme left wing nutter would even TRY to defend the "defund the police" idiocy.
                              Only an extreme right wing nut job, or perhaps an ex cop, would defend the status quo, defend a corrupt and militerized police state. Top democrats may be steering clear of the slogan "defund the police" but ask them if they're in favor of policing reform, of reallocating funds to social programs, and you won't see them steering clear of that.
                              Last edited by JimL; 06-09-2020, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Only an extreme right wing nut job, or perhaps an ex cop, would defend the status quo, defend a corrupt police state.
                                You have been defending this nutty "Defund the Police" at every turn - including your nutty "it's semantical".
                                I have NOT been defending the "status quo" in any way, shape or form - that would be an outright cowardly lie.

It's obvious you know deep down that you've been spouting stupidity, because this is the way you respond when you've been outted.

Comment