Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the 'annointed one'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jim
    which is not directly Trump
    Oh, come on, Jim. This is directly about Trump, otherwise you wouldn't have posted it.

And you are the one who brought up Obama, so that is part of the discussion.

Do you even read what you post?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      I predicted this would send you one an Obama Tirade ...

But thats not the point, and this is my thread. So - let's stay on topic please, which is not directly Trump nor Obama, but the Christian community escalating Trump to the status of "Annointed one" and what that means about that same Christian community. If the Christian community had done the same for Obama, then it would be fair game I suppose.
      Frank Schaeffer often goes too far and makes statements that are too harsh which is only damaging to the good points he actually makes. In the quote below I think he really nails it:

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        In other words, your "proof" is nothing more than a heaping helping of confirmation bias.
        No - my proof is in the 2 thousand year old cadre of Christian theology, The 3 thousand year old cadre of Jewish Theology, and the actual worlds and phrases used by those encouraging the concept in the christian community. The concept of Trump as "God's annointed" is separate and distinct from the general concept of prayer for our leaders as voiced in Romans 13. Your claim to the contrary is simply not supported by the facts or the history of the use of the term.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
          Frank Schaeffer often goes too far and makes statements that are too harsh which is only damaging to the good points he actually makes. In the quote below I think he really nails it:
          Unfortunately there is truth there. Not that I'm happy about it, being as I'm an evangelical myself. I'm just not one being led by the "Trump is God's anointed" mantra.
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

No - my proof is in the 2 thousand year old cadre of Christian theology, The 3 thousand year old cadre of Jewish Theology, and the actual worlds and phrases used by those encouraging the concept in the christian community. The concept of Trump as "God's annointed" is separate and distinct from the general concept of prayer for our leaders as voiced in Romans 13. Your claim to the contrary is simply not supported by the facts or the history of the use of the term.
            You're just repeating yourself. You don't have any proof for your accusations beyond a handful of articles that I'm pretty sure you plucked out of an internet search because they confirmed your bias.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Oh, come on, Jim. This is directly about Trump, otherwise you wouldn't have posted it.

No mossy - this is about the Christian Community attaching the label 'God's Anointed' to Trump and what that means. Trump is not the direct object here, he is the indirect object. It's just bizarre that Christians would confer that term on a man like Trump, and I am concerned about what that says about the Church itself in this country.

Please use my 'screenname' as it were (oxmixmudd), I couldn't tell without looking up the source post if you meant me or had just misspelled JimL

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I have a feeling you did not completely get his message. You might want to read this part again:

I see this as very troubling for several reasons. Not the least of which is Trump's lawlessness, his complete disrespect for the sorts of moral boundary that could be reconciled with the Bible or Christian tradition (or the moral traditions of the nation as a whole), and the tendency for the acceptance of such a proclamation to produce a willingness on the part of those holding this view to excuse or overlook extremely dangerous behavior on the part of Trump or his administration. Trump becomes a man who has God behind what he does, and thus to be against Trump is then to be against God Himself. And another danger exists in that Trump, narcissist and self-idolizing man that he is, KNOWS this is how many of his followers and supporters view him. The potential for abuse is staggering.
                And your response to this serious topic seems to be a mix of an ad hom claim that Jim is only concerned about this because he dislikes Trump and then you support Rogue in his obvious and predictable whataboutism.

If that is the salt of the earth... Part of the problem seems to be that among those who do not go as far as to claim that Trump is annointed there are seemingly quite many who still refuse to even slightly criticize him. So while not supporting the most absurd ideas about who he is, they still remain silent when they should speak truth to power. That silence has been noticed and speaks volumes.

Comment

"The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You're just repeating yourself. You don't have any proof for your accusations beyond a handful of articles that I'm pretty sure you plucked out of an internet search because they confirmed your bias.
                    Speaking of bias....

Comment

No, this thread is slightly different. It's not "I HATE TRUMP!!!!" but "I HATE MY FELLOW CHRISTIANS WHO DON'T HATE TRUMP AS MUCH I DO!!!!"

Comment

MM - there is no proof that you will accept. This is a no brainer. The term 'annointed one' has a long theological history, especially WRT Messiah. I can't fix that level of ignorance with any words I could possibly type beyond the ones already posted. I can tell you that Paula White is one person that actually tried to make that connection you are after being called on it, but in doing so was forced to apply the term "God's annointed" to Obama, Hillary, Bill Clinton and so on - every leader, not just Trump, completely undermining her original proclamation.

Which is itself it's own proof.

Comment

No mossy - this is about the Christian Community attaching the label 'God's Anointed' to Trump and what that means. Trump is not the direct object here, he is the indirect object. It's just bizarre that Christians would confer that term on a man like Trump, and I am concerned about what that says about the Church itself in this country.
                          If this was not about Trump you would not have posted it. I am quite sure of that.

Please use my 'screenname' as it were (oxmixmudd), I couldn't tell without looking up the source post if you meant me or had just misspelled JimL
                          So, you don't read what you post. Since I quoted you only a moment or so after you posted and you apparently forgot, or something.

However, I will acquiesce and not call you Jim anymore.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

No, this thread is slightly different. It's not "I HATE TRUMP!!!!" but "I HATE MY FELLOW CHRISTIANS WHO DON'T HATE TRUMP AS MUCH I DO!!!!"
                            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I predicted this would send you one an Obama Tirade ...

But thats not the point, and this is my thread. So - let's stay on topic please, which is not directly Trump nor Obama, but the Christian community escalating Trump to the status of "Annointed one" and what that means about that same Christian community. If the Christian community had done the same for Obama, then it would be fair game I suppose.
                              You were the one that brought up comparisons to "the Obamessiah" in your O.P.

But I've made my point. Any comparison is laughable. Nothing has ever approached the reverence and veneration afforded Obama while he was president.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

...this is about the Christian Community attaching the label 'God's Anointed' to Trump...
                                Who exactly is "the Christian Community" you refer to? Assuming this "community" actually used the phrase "God's Anointed" to refer to the President, what is the context, and what do they actually mean by it?

Let's start there.

Comment