Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lab Leak: The conspiracy theory is shaping up to look like real possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
    Even if it means we have to bypass US concerns and restrictions by taking such experiments into communist countries that accept our controversial research with open arms.
    I don't find it surprising that you make unfounded accusations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's not political bias to discount anything that Trump says without corroboration.

Journalists have to make judgments about the quality of their sources. Trump being a low quality source is an easy call.
      Only, as you well know, Trump wasn't the only one blaming the lab in china (in fact, there were experts saying this with much less intelligence info), which leads me to think just how plausible the worse case scenario of the MSM actually is.

Comment

Only, as you well know, Trump wasn't the only one blaming the lab in china (in fact, there were experts saying this with much less intelligence info), which leads me to think just how plausible the worse case scenario of the MSM actually is.
        And scientists were saying that a lab leak was very unlikely, and that there was no reason to think a natural source was unlikely.

Comment

And scientists were saying that a lab leak was very unlikely, and that there was no reason to think a natural source was unlikely.
          True, but what a real nonpartisan actual journalist would do is present all sides of the argument in their reporting. What a TDS fake journalist hack would do (or a journalist getting china money) is exactly what MSM did for year before they were forced to painfully concede the theory's plausibility.

Comment

True, but what a real nonpartisan actual journalist would do is present all sides of the argument in their reporting. What a TDS fake journalist hack would do (or a journalist getting china money) is exactly what MSM did for year before they were forced to painfully concede the theory's plausibility.
            What qualified scientists were giving another side to the story?

Comment

What qualified scientists were giving another side to the story?
              I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer.

Comment

I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

^^ Evidence that right-wing partisans will promote falsehoods for no better reason than their partisanship.
                  ^^Evidence that left-wing partisans cannot grasp or evven comprehend what it is like to have a sense of humor operating in their body.

Comment

Some were, sure. And most of the ones that were, did so in answers to carefully crafted questions by the MSM that asked them in such a way that implied or straight out said bioengineered, rather than the much different 'lab leak of a virus being studied). Don't think those of us with eyes didn't see how the media played with that to try to attack and smear any idea of a lab leak instead of just the bioengineered stuff they asked of the scientists. Literally every MSM article I read back this time last year was using that dishonest bait and switch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gondwanaland View Post

Some were, sure. And most of the ones that were, did so in answers to carefully crafted questions by the MSM that asked them in such a way that implied or straight out said bioengineered, rather than the much different 'lab leak of a virus being studied). Don't think those of us with eyes didn't see how the media played with that to try to attack and smear any idea of a lab leak instead of just the bioengineered stuff they asked of the scientists. Literally every MSM article I read back this time last year was using that dishonest bait and switch.
                      If a virus was found in the wild, and accidentally leaked from the lab without having been modified, there really wouldn't have been a story, since the pandemic would most likely have happened eventually anyway. Even the lax security would have been shrugged off if they had only been working with naturally occurring viruses not known to be deadly to humans.

What makes it a story is the likelihood (still pretty low according to many experts, high in my non-expert opinion) that the virus was modified by gain-of-function research before it got out. Last summer that was a conspiracy theory, now it's a legitimate story.

Comment

If a virus was found in the wild, and accidentally leaked from the lab without having been modified, there really wouldn't have been a story,
                        Excuse me? THere most certainly would be. They brought in viruses for research, dangerous viruses, and then they leaked. Then, after that, they committed brutal human rights violations against any doctor that spoke about the spreading virus, got the WHO to squash early warnings from Taiwan scientists, worked with the WHO to hide its transmissibility for several weeks, locked down its own internal borders while using their financial influence on other countries to encourage those countries not to lock down travel FROM China, all to cover up their leak (as well as spread nonsense that Americans created it and released it), and that 'really wouldn't have been a story'?????? Did you say that with a straight face?

Only in the mind of someone who licks Xi's boots would that not be a story.

since the pandemic would most likely have happened eventually anyway. Even the lax security would have been shrugged off if they had only been working with naturally occurring viruses not known to be deadly to humans.

What makes it a story is the likelihood (still pretty low according to many experts, high in my non-expert opinion) that the virus was modified by gain-of-function research before it got out. Last summer that was a conspiracy theory, now it's a legitimate story.
                        See above. You are trying desperately to hold onto your patently incorrect assertions, and becoming more desperate each time they are dealt another blow of truth.
                        Last edited by Gondwanaland; 05-29-2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Excuse me? THere most certainly would be. They brought in viruses for research, dangerous viruses, and then they leaked.
                          That part's not really a story if they didn't know the viruses were dangerous.

Then, after that, they committed brutal human rights violations against any doctor that spoke about the spreading virus, got the WHO to squash early warnings from Taiwan scientists, worked with the WHO to hide its transmissibility for several weeks, locked down its own internal borders while using their financial influence on other countries to encourage those countries not to lock down travel FROM China, all to cover up their leak (as well as spread nonsense that Americans created it and released it), and that 'really wouldn't have been a story'??????
                          All those things qualify as a story whether or not the virus leaked from a lab, as long as you can provide good evidence for them. Of course, reporting on them can get you kicked out of China.

See above. You are trying desperately to hold onto your patently incorrect assertions, and becoming more desperate each time they are dealt another blow of truth.
                          Last year, I didn't worry much about whether the virus had leaked from a lab, because I fully expected it to be investigated, and the answer didn't seem time critical. So if the news services also didn't think it was an important story, I'm not going to hold it against them. YMMV.

Comment

That part's not really a story if they didn't know the viruses were dangerous.
                            They're a bloody Biosafety Level 4 biolab, my dude. That's literally what they bloody study is dangerous viruses. Good grief, the depths to which you will go to lick those Chicom boots is astounding.

All those things qualify as a story whether or not the virus leaked from a lab, as long as you can provide good evidence for them. Of course, reporting on them can get you kicked out of China.
                            So are you denying all those things I listed?

Last year, I didn't worry much about whether the virus had leaked from a lab, because I fully expected it to be investigated, and the answer didn't seem time critical. So if the news services also didn't think it was an important story, I'm not going to hold it against them. YMMV.
                            Then you were truly naive.
                            Last edited by Gondwanaland; 05-29-2021, 08:38 PM.

Comment

They're a bloody Biosafety Level 4 biolab, my dude. That's literally what they bloody study is dangerous viruses. Good grief, the depths to which you will go to lick those Chicom boots is astounding.

Then you were truly naive.
                              Like.....?!?!!??!??!??!??!!
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosaf...safety_level_4
                              Biosafety level 4

Biosafety level 4 (BSL-4) is the highest level of biosafety precautions, and is appropriate for work with agents that could easily be aerosol-transmitted within the laboratory and cause severe to fatal disease in humans for which there are no available vaccines or treatments.
                              Even I am embarrassed for you at this point.

Comment

According to Wikipedia, the building that houses the BSL-4 lab also houses 20 BSL-2 and 2 BSL-3 labs. "Prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, coronavirus research at the WIV was conducted in BSL-2 and BSL-3 laboratories."

No, I'm saying an accidental leak isn't necessary to make them a story.

Comment