Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Lab Leak: The conspiracy theory is shaping up to look like real possibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post

The theory was first introduced, "building" and being sustained by rightwing sources, both fringe (it was a bioweapon) and not so fringe (it was an accident). It was mainly leftwing sources and MSM shunning and censoring the story as "debunked."

The leftwing MSM only started to recently entertain the possibility after Robert R. Redfield and Sunjay Gupta recently pushed the theory on national TV.
    I think it had more to do with the recent WSJ story

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I think it had more to do with the recent WSJ story
      Which one came out first? I don't recall ever seeing a WSJ story. I do recall Redfield dropping the bombshell on national TV as his own opinion, and then Gupta subsequently pushing it further on CNN shortly after. Then it snowballed from there.

Comment

Which one came out first? I don't recall ever seeing a WSJ story. I do recall Redfield dropping the bombshell on national TV as his own opinion, and then Gupta subsequently pushing it further on CNN shortly after. Then it snowballed from there.
        A few days ago. It dealt with the researchers at the lab who had the Chicom coronavirus back in November 2019. The so-called Smoking Gun.

It's what I've repeatedly heard as the justification for the MSM doing a 180 on the story, going from summary dismissal to acknowledging the possibility.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A few days ago. It dealt with the researchers at the lab who had the Chicom coronavirus back in November 2019. The so-called Smoking Gun.

It's what I've repeatedly heard as the justification for the MSM doing a 180 on the story, going from summary dismissal to acknowledging the possibility.
          The story of the Wuhan researchers getting sick was known four months ago (if that's what you're referring to). Most articles date around mid January.

Comment

The story of the Wuhan researchers getting sick was known four months ago (if that's what you're referring to). Most articles date around mid January.
            But it appears that until it was reported on by the WSJ it was ignored.

Comment

But it appears that until it was reported on by the WSJ it was ignored.
              Why did WSJ wait four months? Seems obvious they were following the revelation of Redfield and Gupta when it suddenly became cool for MSM to accept it.

Comment

Why did WSJ wait four months? Seems obvious they were following the revelation of Redfield and Gupta when it suddenly became cool for MSM to accept it.
                not to mention Fauci suddenly saying it was a possibility.

Comment

• I would guess that the reason the possibility of an accidental laboratory leak was being ignored was that everyone knew it was being investigated.

Then, at the end of March/early April, the WHO released a report that said a laboratory incident "was considered to be an extremely unlikely pathway" for emergence of the virus, and proposed new investigations into every hypothesis that they had considered except that one.

It also included this doozy:

"The three laboratories in Wuhan working with either CoVs diagnostics and/or CoVs isolation and vaccine development all had high quality biosafety level (BSL3 or 4) facilities that were well-managed, with a staff health monitoring programme with no reporting of COVID-19 compatible respiratory illness during the weeks/months prior to December 2019, and no serological evidence of infection in workers through SARS-CoV-2-specific serology-screening. The Wuhan CDC lab which moved on 2nd December 2019 reported no disruptions or incidents caused by the move. They also reported no storage nor laboratory activities on CoVs or other bat viruses preceding the outbreak."

I suspect that a lot of people on both the left and the right felt that this should not go unanswered.
                  Last edited by Stoic; 05-26-2021, 01:53 PM.

Comment

• afb052621dAPR20210526044510.jpg
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yup you were one of the ones who took it seriously way back then. Even Starlight did. If I recall, the biggest deniers here were Shunya and maybe Ox (don't feel like digging back through the thread, so I I got it wrong I apologize)

Yeah I think the WaPo was one of the few MSM who took it seriously all along.
                      Shunya regularly cited articles directly contradicting his position, while Ox regularly re-interpreted hedged reports as denials.

In fairness, the talking heads on cable news are accurately described as mainstream media and can easily be found supporting every possible position so long as it fills the package time between commercials, but the idea that WaPo's reporting was out on its own should be restricted to folks who get their news about the mainstream media from fringe media. Those of us who read, know better. The only theory consistently debunked was China's official story, that the virus was introduced into Wuhan via the wet market. Too many of the original cases had no relation to the market.

But much of the MSM just rejected the idea as crazy because Trump mentioned it.
                      And you believe that because fringe media told you so.

*sigh*

Most regular media thought the conspiracy theories were crazy independent of who mentioned it.

Trump's mentions were restricted to relabeling it the "China flu," with predictable results.
                      The New York Times' Steven Lee Myers is one of several American correspondents caught up in a clampdown on foreign media in the past year.

Last March, he was thrown out of China altogether along with the rest of The Times' American staff operating in the country, as ties flared between the Trump administration and Beijing over the coronavirus pandemic.

They used his reckless attacks as an excuse.

Comment

• What's hilarious is that the media had no problem with calling it the Chinese virus until President Trump said it, and then it suddenly became racist.
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-26-2021, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Shunya regularly cited articles directly contradicting his position, while Ox regularly re-interpreted hedged reports as denials.
                          No - people here (apparently including you) interpreted my statements castigating reliance on unsupportable conspiracy theories and that made clear the issue is that there was no scientific evidence to support a lab origin as denials of the possibility it was an accidental lab release.

There is a difference. What has been circulating prior was irrational, generally ideologically driven statements, usually mixed in with derogatory verbiage towards people of Asian descent, and usually hinting at - if not outright accusing - the Chinese of releasing it on purpose.

What exists now is actual evidence that might point to an accidental (not purposeful) release from the lab. This is also why the legitimate news sources are now reporting on it.

Evidence.

My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            ...there was no scientific evidence to support a lab origin...
                            But there was lots of eyewitness and firsthand testimony, which is all we really have now despite the media suddenly changing its tune. Scientific evidence isn't the only kind of evidence you know. One theory I've heard for the left's sudden interest in the China flu's origins is that they want to distract the public from the vote audits currently taking place in several states.

Comment

• Fauci the Fraud, admits contributing funds to the Wuhan lab while trying to claim that he didn't actually know what they were doing.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...gain-function/

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Fauci the Fraud, admits contributing funds to the Wuhan lab while trying to claim that he didn't actually know what they were doing.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...gain-function/
                                His narrative is slowly slipping, step by step.

Next it will be, "Okay, okay, yes they researched gain of function, but I TRIED to stop them!"

Comment