Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Evangelicals full of fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
    The Bible does not give anyone "the ticket to attack persons who [honestly] ask you to support claims you make about other persons with a source". What it does give you however, is the right to call out disingenuous people who use a feigned interest and care about what the Bible says in order to try and browbeating you into giving in to their demands, which is exactly what you are doing here.
    That!

Apparently it's Cow Poke's judgement that your demanding of him to back up his claims, and your subsequent claim that he is using the Bible to avoid having to back them up, is nothing but disingenuity on your part, and so far from what I've read in this discussion, I'm inclined to agree with that assessment.
    When Charles introduces somebody as "himself an Evangelical", and is challenged, it's not up to me to prove Fea isn't. And when it's shown that Fea makes his living blogging, writing, and making speeches critical of Evangelicals, it really throws doubt on Charles' claim.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
      You may doubt it, but who would you listen to - some-one who has studied the testaments and the apocrypha, read/understood WLC, RtB and JPH, and is familiar with the majority of apologetics arguments; or some-one who is clearly clueless and keeps insisting Moses would have died in the flood?

Although I disagree with Jim, I take his points seriously...
      Right, your respect for ox's religious beliefs such as the resurrection of Jesus Christ and eternal life in heaven for those who put their faith in Him is obvious from the condescending sneer on your face.

Skeptics before President Trump: "Christians are morons for believing the Bible."

Skeptics after President Trump: "Christians are morons for believing the Bible."

What's really changed?
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        It is very, very simple. Cow Poke makes a statement that a certain person holds a particular view.
        Prove you're sincere, Charles. Let's deal with that. What "particular view" are we discussing here?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
          I completely agree with this part. I think some Christians make the fallacy of equating the fact that we take him seriously with the fact that he agrees with us. There is not only a world but a universe of a difference between the two. I do not agree with him on matters related to faith but I take his points seriosly because he can support his claims, is honest, has integrity and - perhaps even most important when it comes to trust - he is willing to admit it if he has made an error.
          You like ox because he's thrown his lot in with you, but this allience between you and he has not made you in anyway more welcoming of Christianity or more sympathetic toward its adherents. On the contrary, you continue to attack Christianity on a daily basis and insult those who call themselves Christians. What you should be asking yourself about ox is why isn't he standing up to you, calling you out for your duplicity, and vigorously defending his faith against someone eager to tear it down.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            You like ox because he's thrown his lot in with you....
            And I readily confess that I have allowed this to corrupt my perception of Ox. Because he so often sides with these guys, and they kiss his butt and back him up, I have allowed the "us vs them" mentality that I see so often from Ox to color my view of him. I have to remember that these same "ameners" of Ox would call him a fool for believing in the Risen Lord, substitutionary atonement, Heaven and Hell....

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              When Charles introduces somebody as "himself an Evangelical", and is challenged, it's not up to me to prove Fea isn't.
              If you challenge it by making claims that he holds particular view with no support for those statements, you are the one who is making statements you either cannot or will not support.

You wrote:
              Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I "got this" from an article Fea wrote where he takes Evanglicals to task for not supporting the homosexual agenda.
              And you have refused to tell us what article you are taking about, what he is saying in it or anything along those lines. You just made the statement and now you go for "Biblical" ad hominems when you are asked to provide the link.

And when it's shown that Fea makes his living blogging, writing, and making speeches critical of Evangelicals, it really throws doubt on Charles' claim.
              I think you have misunderstood what he is doing. Read the opening post and see that he is pointing to the Bible as a guidling line for his fellow evangelicals and encouraging them to trust it instead of having fear. I am deeply surprises you are so worried about that message that you have gone for all sorts of attacks, faulty distinctions and the like in order to dodge the points.

Perhaps a Messiah College historian makes his living from other things than blogging, writing and making speeches critical of Evangelicals? But I suppose it will be in vain if I ask you to support your idea he makes his living primarily from that.

You can go here if you are looking for the context of the source you seemingle cannot provide: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post730208
              Last edited by Charles; 04-21-2020, 08:59 AM.

Comment

If you challenge it by making claims that he holds particular view with no support for those statements...
                Again, that "particular view"? And please use the quote function, not your own rendition of what you claim I said, because, quite honestly, I don't trust you any further than I can throw a bull by the tail.

Comment

You like ox because he's thrown his lot in with you, but this allience between you and he has not made you in anyway more welcoming of Christianity or more sympathetic toward its adherents.
                  Absolutely wrong. I wonder how you even get the idea you know anything about it. Mind reader?

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  On the contrary, you continue to attack Christianity on a daily basis and insult those who call themselves Christians.
                  If you had the eyes to see you would know that this thread is certainly not an attack on Christianity. It is a way of questioning the actions of certain Christians who fail at act according to the Bible. That you cannot see the difference is in itself quite telling.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  What you should be asking yourself about ox is why isn't he standing up to you, calling you out for your duplicity, and vigorously defending his faith against someone eager to tear it down.
                  The greatest attack on Christianity on tweb is from people like you. What you did not know about Ox is that he has actually asked me to explain my situation to him to share his view and give his advice. Do you think, perhaps, that is closer to leading people to faith than name calling, insults and claims that it is great for a Christian to support the idea that children should be seperated from their parents with no plans for reunification? I would guess most readers know the anwer. I am not too sure about you.
                  Last edited by Charles; 04-21-2020, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Again, that "particular view"? And please use the quote function, not your own rendition of what you claim I said, because, quite honestly, I don't trust you any further than I can throw a bull by the tail.
                    Now with the quote function. Exactly the same content, but dodging is so much better than just providing the link.

Prediction: You will still not provide a link to the article.

Comment

Now with the quote function.
                      Do you not know how to use the quote function, Charles?

You said....

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                      Cow Poke makes a statement that a certain person holds a particular view.
                      What "particular view" is that, and why is it so hard for you to provide the quote where I said that?

Exactly the same content, but dodging is so much better than just providing the link.
                      So STOP dodging, and provide the link!

Prediction: You will still not provide a link to the article.
                      Show me what "particular view" I assigned to "the guy", and I'll be happy to address it.

Comment

Do you not know how to use the quote function, Charles?

You said....

What "particular view" is that, and why is it so hard for you to provide the quote where I said that?

So STOP dodging, and provide the link!

Show me what "particular view" I assigned to "the guy", and I'll be happy to address it.
                        Look:

I "got this" from an article Fea wrote where he takes Evanglicals to task for not supporting the homosexual agenda.
                        You were made aware of it yesterday too but still you claim it is unclear what I am asking for. The dishonesty is quite obvious. Anyone can go here to the post I wrote yesterday asking for your source: http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post730208

I have been asking you to support he holds this view numerous times and you have refused to provide the link. It is as simple as that.

Prediction: You will still dodge around and we will never see your source (if you have one). Even if you do it is a mystery why it is so secret.
                        Last edited by Charles; 04-21-2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

And I readily confess that I have allowed this to corrupt my perception of Ox. Because he so often sides with these guys, and they kiss his butt and back him up, I have allowed the "us vs them" mentality that I see so often from Ox to color my view of him. I have to remember that these same "ameners" of Ox would call him a fool for believing in the Risen Lord, substitutionary atonement, Heaven and Hell....
                          Three things you might consider as an enhancement of what you've expressed here:

I only side with those I believe are speaking the truth. But I tend not to care about the source's ideological affiliation.

I speak up in contradiction with those I believe are not speaking the truth. And I likewise tend not to care about the source's ideological affiliation. Further, while I care about their opinion of me (who actually likes to be despised and mocked?) I will not allow myself to be silent to preserve their opinion, nor to avoid their mockery.

I despise bullies because I was a victim of them for most of my life until most of them dropped out of high school my jr year. So I tend to stick up for people that are being bullied, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

Those three things, and not the myriad alternative reality proposals that are often floated about, are why I post what I do.

Perhaps keeping them in mind might smooth things out over time?
                          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Right, your respect for ox's religious beliefs such as the resurrection of Jesus Christ and eternal life in heaven for those who put their faith in Him is obvious from the condescending sneer on your face.

Skeptics before President Trump: "Christians are morons for believing the Bible."

Skeptics after President Trump: "Christians are morons for believing the Bible."

What's really changed?
                            Skeptics before President Trump: "Christians believe the Bible. I do not for numerous reasons"

Skeptics after President Trump: "Many Christians no longer believe the Bible but still insist to be called Christians. They don't have much integrity and are OK with whataboutism and a very relative moral standard. I no longer disagree with them on religious matters since it appears they don't believe. I find them to support what is morally wrong and I find that they contradict themselves and everything they claim I should believe."

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              Three things you might consider as an enhancement of what you've expressed here:
                              You can't just graciously accept contrition?

I only side with those I believe are speaking the truth. But I tend not to care about the source's ideological affiliation.
                              On that, we can agree to disagree, because I still think your whole worldview is skewed by your contempt for Trump.

I speak up in contradiction with those I believe are not speaking the truth. And I likewise tend not to care about the source's ideological affiliation. Further, while I care about their opinion of me (who actually likes to be despised and mocked?) I will not allow myself to be silent to preserve their opinion, nor to avoid their mockery.

I despise bullies because I was a victim of them for most of my life until most of them dropped out of high school my jr year. So I tend to stick up for people that are being bullied, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.
                              Sometimes we become what we despise, Jim, and you have a tendency to do the bully thing yourself, but I doubt you'd ever see that.

Those three things, and not the myriad alternative reality proposals that are often floated about, are why I post what I do.
                              I have no doubt you believe that.

Perhaps keeping them in mind might smooth things out over time?
                              And, from your end, what would help to "smooth things out"?

Comment

I don't know if ox realizes how he's playing into the hands of people like Charles who love to see Christian against Christian. When an anti-Christian posts something critical of Christians and their faith, and ox runs in and says, "Yeah, I agree!", frankly, I can't see any upside to it.

Comment