Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Evangelicals full of fear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The question is, what road are they paving?
    EGGzackly.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      My remark was about his opinion, you dope. He has an opinion that you happen to think is correct, but you have not given us any compelling reason to think the same.
      Well, again, if you had actually cared to deal with what he says and not the person you would know that his reasons are given as part of his statements. That is, he says something, explains why it is his opinion and then goes on along those lines. So, if you want to know the reason why he says what he says, it is in his statement, if you want to know why I agree, it is for the very same reasons (though I am not a Christian I find his interpretation of the Bible in these parts to be rather obviously correct). If you would start there and then actually adress the points I would have no problem at all going into further detail, giving further reasons, explaining to greater detail. But you have got to start with the beginning as they say. So feel free to start to adress it:

"It's very strange and somewhat ironic that anyone who reads the Bible will find a lot of exhortations against fear," says Fea. "Fear represents a kind of lack of faith in God's sovereignty or God's will to work out his purposes. I love the quote from Marylinne Robinson: 'Fear is not a Christian habit of mind.' Fear is a product of the broken world that we live in, but fear is not a place where one can dwell and still claim to be an evangelical Christian. It produces negative consequences.

"What's striking here is that evangelicals have in almost every circumstance where there's some kind of change in the culture, have not responded with hospitality to the stranger, with grace, with hope, with the idea that people who are different from them have been created in the image of God and have that dignity and worth. Instead they have built their walls and protected themselves against people they fear Fear. [It's] an inherent contradiction for anyone who takes the Bible seriously. That's what I'm trying to call people to think about in this book. Why are we so afraid? We love to claim a big God who controls everything and will work out his purposes for good as it says in Romans. Their politics is driven by fear much more than any kind hope." https://www.popmatters.com/believe-m...579257864.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Well, again, if you had actually cared to deal with what he says and not the person ...
        So, why did you make the effort to identify this "person" as an Evangelical? If it doesn't matter "who" he is, why focus on that?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          So, why did you make the effort to identify this "person" as an Evangelical? If it doesn't matter "who" he is, why focus on that?
          And, once again, I was trying to put focus on what he says, and immediately you cut the relevant parts out and try to focus on something else.

Prediction: you will spend a few other posts trying to focus on anything but what he actually said.

Comment

And, once again, I was trying to put focus on what he says, and immediately you cut the relevant parts out and try to focus on something else.
            Charles, if you said "Donald Trump, himself a Democrat...." - I'd stop you at that point ask why you misidentified him.

Prediction: you will spend a few other posts trying to focus on anything but what he actually said.
            Prediction: you will continue to pretend it doesn't matter that you totally misidentified the guy - that's actually pertinent to what he said.

Comment

I'm sure a person suffering from any number of mental disorders could make the same claim, Jim.

I don't think it's so much "motives" as outcome -- I'd assume were motives were genuine.

Can you provide just ONE, please? Because I don't believe I've made any such demands -- just observations, understanding from whence these goofy attacks come.

I believe your intentions are good, but I do believe you have demonstrated quite a bit of hostility toward Trump and anybody who doesn't absolutely denounce him.

So, your best example of me "demanding others not make such judgements about [myself]", please.
              no CP. I'm not going to chase down what you know full well you did. And cutting off a conversation becaus there is any wording that even remotely implies something is known about your motives or thinking is 'demanding', albeit without using the word 'demand'.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Charles, if you said "Donald Trump, himself a Democrat...." - I'd stop you at that point ask why you misidentified him.

Prediction: you will continue to pretend it doesn't matter that you totally misidentified the guy - that's actually pertinent to what he said.
                So my prediction was right. And a good try with the "you totally misidentified the guy"

Now, to the point:

"It's very strange and somewhat ironic that anyone who reads the Bible will find a lot of exhortations against fear," says Fea. "Fear represents a kind of lack of faith in God's sovereignty or God's will to work out his purposes. I love the quote from Marylinne Robinson: 'Fear is not a Christian habit of mind.' Fear is a product of the broken world that we live in, but fear is not a place where one can dwell and still claim to be an evangelical Christian. It produces negative consequences.

"What's striking here is that evangelicals have in almost every circumstance where there's some kind of change in the culture, have not responded with hospitality to the stranger, with grace, with hope, with the idea that people who are different from them have been created in the image of God and have that dignity and worth. Instead they have built their walls and protected themselves against people they fear Fear. [It's] an inherent contradiction for anyone who takes the Bible seriously. That's what I'm trying to call people to think about in this book. Why are we so afraid? We love to claim a big God who controls everything and will work out his purposes for good as it says in Romans. Their politics is driven by fear much more than any kind hope."

Comment

And a good try with the "you totally misidentified the guy"
                  You did. Not out of dishonesty, but out of ignorance.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    no CP. I'm not going to chase down what you know full well you did.
                    More hypocrisy, Jim --- the guy who complains that only he can know his motives now.... sheesh!

And cutting off a conversation becaus there is any wording that even remotely implies something is known about your motives or thinking is 'demanding', albeit without using the word 'demand'.
                    There was no demand. Ever. It was dishonest of you to make that claim. Here is what you said...
                    Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    In fact, you've spent a large number of posts demanding others not make such judgements about yourself.

IF there had been ANY such demand, you should be able to provide ONE example.

Blatantly false accusation, but do continue the kabuki dance.

Comment

• John Fea

Comment

John Fea
                        Yes, he spends his life writing and blogging and speaking criticism of Evangelicals. To that extent, he's somewhat a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Next?

Comment

Yes, he spends his life writing and blogging and speaking criticism of Evangelicals. To that extent, he's somewhat a wolf in sheep's clothing.
                          Because holding Evangelicals accountable to what the Bible says is somehow being a wolf in a sheep's clothing... The fact that you see it that way is actually quite interesting and seems to support the very title of this thread: Evangelicals full of fear.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Next?
                          You might want to read the opening post and see how you have completely misidentified him.

Comment

More hypocrisy, Jim --- the guy who complains that only he can know his motives now.... sheesh!

There was no demand. Ever. It was dishonest of you to make that claim. Here is what you said...

IF there had been ANY such demand, you should be able to provide ONE example.

Blatantly false accusation, but do continue the kabuki dance.
                            I'm not playing this game CP. And no, I don't really know the exact phrases to search for so, though I think 'read my mind' is one, I have other things to do today. So you can play the dishonesty game all you want to, and I don't really care what other readers think if they can't remember the events. The issue is the reality that you and I will one day be held accountable for. I know I'm not lying, so you can bluff and pontificate all you want - the reality is not changed. And I'm quite comfortable not being manipulated by you into wasting whatever time it would take to find them.
                            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              I'm not playing this game CP. And no, I don't really know the exact phrases to search for so, though I think 'read my mind' is one, I have other things to do today. So you can play the dishonesty game all you want to,
                              So, you make a false accusation, you can't back it up, so you make MORE false accusations? Great job!

and I don't really care what other readers think if they can't remember the events. The issue is the reality that you and I will one day be held accountable for. I know I'm not lying,
                              Have I ever accused you of lying, Jim? EVER?

so you can bluff and pontificate all you want -
                              You mean -- challenge you to back up your 'nasty' false accusations?

the reality is not changed. And I'm quite comfortable not being manipulated by you into wasting whatever time it would take to find them.
                              You mean you realize you can't back up your false accusations.....

Get well soon, Jim.

Comment

Because holding Evangelicals accountable to what the Bible says is somehow being a wolf in a sheep's clothing...
                                His interpretation of the Bible, Charles - which is most certainly not the same as Evangelicals, so there's a problem with labeling him "an Evangelical".

The fact that you see it that way is actually quite interesting and seems to support the very title of this thread: Evangelicals full of fear.
                                Yeah, sure... you can't back up what you say, so that's proof I'm "full of fear".

You might want to read the opening post and see how you have completely misidentified him.
                                No, Charles - YOU are the one who misidentified him as "an Evangelical".

Comment