Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Red state/blue state and corona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
    "there are more important things than living" Lt Gov Dan Patrick, Republican from Texas a red state.

What things are more important than living?
    Eternal life.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Worth posting here since this thread is about red states versus blue states:

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Yes, it would appear that certain state governments were unprepared for something like this. Curiously, it's Democrat controlled states that appear to have been hit the hardest. 7 of the top 10 states are run by Democrat governors, 4 of them in the top 5, and the top 2 states, New York and New Jersey, account for nearly half of all China flu cases in the US. New York also has the most deaths attributed to the China flu at around 20,000, which is to say that New York alone has nearly as many deaths as some of the hardest hit European countries, and four times the number of deaths as the the next state on the list which is New Jersey at around 5000. Next is Michigan which is half again at around 2,700.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...tate-breakdown
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Pro-life people don't believe there is nothing more important than life. Especially Christians who believe that giving up your life in sacrifice of others is the highest form of love.
        What makes sacrificing your life for others the highest form of love?

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
          It's the ultimate act of selflessness.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            It's the ultimate act of selflessness.
            The *ultimate* act you say? Almost like "life is the highest and most precious commodity of all".

Bewm.

Comment

It's what Jesus did for us.

Comment

The *ultimate* act you say? Almost like "life is the highest and most precious commodity of all".

Bewm.

Comment

It's what Jesus did for us.
                  Jesus did a lot of things (allegedly). Why don't those other things count equally if the only standard is "what Jesus did."

You're just trying to avoid making the mistake that WW made.

Comment

Jesus did a lot of things (allegedly). Why don't those other things count equally if the only standard is "what Jesus did."

You're just trying to avoid making the mistake that WW made.

Comment

Right, so we're led back to the question of what makes doing that the greatest exhibition of love. I mean, the obvious answer is that one is willing giving up that which is most precious in exchange for something lesser. If ones life is always lesser than what one is getting in exchange then the most reasonable interpretation is "life is the highest and most precious commodity of all."

If not then why not?

Comment

Right, so we're led back to the question of what makes doing that the greatest exhibition of love. I mean, the obvious answer is that one is willing giving up that which is most precious in exchange for something lesser. If ones life is always lesser than what one is getting in exchange then the most reasonable interpretation is "life is the highest and most precious commodity of all."

If not then why not?
                        Eternal life with God is the most precious gift of all.

Why are you trolling?

Comment

Eternal life with God is the most precious gift of all.
                          Perhaps, but that is a gift which is off the tables for mortals to grant. So the verse can't be referencing an afterlife with gods.

Why are you trolling?
                          Not trolling. Just sick beyond death of the bleats of pro-birthers who fall silent the *instant* they might have to actually follow through on their so-called beliefs.
                          Last edited by DivineOb; 04-23-2020, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Perhaps, but that is a gift which is off the tables for mortals to grant. So the verse can't be referencing an afterlife with gods.

Not trolling. Just sick beyond death of the bleats of pro-birthers who fall silent the *instant* they might have to actually follow through on their so-called beliefs.
                            Why are you trolling, trying to play "gotcha" games?

Simplicio was burning a straw man. He claims to be prolife but he then mischaracterizes what prolife people believe. I have never heard a prolife person claim life was more important than anything else. That's stupid. They believe it is immoral to take an innocent life without justification, and that convenience is not sufficient justification. They could just as easily believe that taking a life justly, as in capital punishment for murderers is moral. Or in self-defense. Or in giving up their lives in defense of their family or even country. He was also mischaracterizing what people are doing protesting. They are not risking their lives for some economic principal, they are protesting overreaching government officials. And the risk to their lives is minimal.

Simplicio was creating a straw man to burn down. And you are playing along with him. I used to have respect for you, but your mocking tone and trolling has gotten to the point that I no longer do.

Comment

Bewm.
                              No. Otherwise it would be right to sacrifice others in order to save yourself. There are things that ought to be more important to you than your own life.

Comment

Why are you trolling, trying to play "gotcha" games?

Simplicio was burning a straw man. He claims to be prolife but he then mischaracterizes what prolife people believe. I have never heard a prolife person claim life was more important than anything else. That's stupid. They believe it is immoral to take an innocent life without justification, and that convenience is not sufficient justification.
                                There are those who oppose abortion in *all* cases, even when failing to abort will kill the mother. Are you saying they don't view the life of the child as the highest consideration?

They could just as easily believe that taking a life justly, as in capital punishment for murderers is moral.
                                If they're hypocrites :).

He was also mischaracterizing what people are doing protesting. They are not risking their lives for some economic principal, they are protesting overreaching government officials. And the risk to their lives is minimal.
                                I don't think people care if they choose to risk their own lives. It's the fact that they are risking yours and mine.

[QUOTE]

I used to have respect for you, but your mocking tone and trolling has gotten to the point that I no longer do.
                                I don't believe you ;).

Comment