Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
    Your toxic hateful ideology is a massive problem, so, thanks for being you.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I've been called worse by people better than you.
      Good, they were onto something, why didn't you listen to your betters?

Comment

• This cite: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus remains the bes over all cite for information of the spread and nature of the coronavirus pandemic.

For the coronavirus the original bell curve infection pattern of Wuhan is the model for the natural course of the virus. Because the Chinese failed to implement remediation measures early, even when warned by doctors, the virus shows a fairly normal predictable infection Bell curve pattern. At present the pattern in the rest of China under strict isolation shows a predictable irregular pattern with 'popups' of infection for those without immunity that will be the case in other countries.

The remediation efforts to reduce the spread of the corona virus have interesting effects on the spread of the virus. The normal spread of the virus in the population creates immunity in the population. Yes, isolation can reduces the spread of the virus on the short term. Efforts in isolation creates an irregular spread of infection, but does not stop the spread in the normal course. The fact that by far the majority of those infected show little or no symptoms you have many spreading the virus regardless of of isolation. The statistic in Wuhan China indicate that 81% plus of all those infected show little or no symptoms. Many countries that implement isolation policies show an irregular pattern in the spread of new cases due to these factors, such as China, and South Korea show this irregular pattern after they implemented these policies followed by recent spikes of new cases, because of the policies the population does not develop a uniform natural immunity to the coronavirus. This natural development of immunity of populations in the previous history of viruses demonstrates this, and immunity can be traced in populations in response to future infections of flu viruses.

The natural course of the coronavirus shows a decrease in the mortality rate, and severity of the virus over time. The benefit of the isolation policy is that this delays the natural course of the virus, and potentially decreases the severity and mortality of the virus, but does not greatly change the ultimate course of the virus.

More geographically and socially isolated show an irregular pattern of infection rate.

Information is sketchy concerning North Korea, but the indications are it is experiencing an infection pattern similar to Wuhan China,

The peak of the coronavirus spread will still likely be somewhere between the end of April to early June most likely early May. In part depending on whether the corona virus develops new varieties of the virus that creates a new infection pattern.
        Last edited by shunyadragon; 03-21-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Out of curiosity, which government(s) do people think did a better job handling this than the Trump administration? I mean, liberals are so quick to criticize Trump despite him doing a better job than Obama did with the swine flu (and for which Obama was naturally lauded by the media), so I'm wondering who in the world is doing better with the current situation.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero View Post
            Good, they were onto something, why didn't you listen to your betters?
            They weren't my betters, they were just better than you.

Comment

Out of curiosity, which government(s) do people think did a better job handling this than the Trump administration? I mean, liberals are so quick to criticize Trump despite him doing a better job than Obama did with the swine flu (and for which Obama was naturally lauded by the media), so I'm wondering who in the world is doing better with the current situation.
              I think South Korea's handling has been exemplary but it's not a fair comparison because it's obviously a much smaller country.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I think South Korea's handling has been exemplary but it's not a fair comparison because it's obviously a much smaller country.
                FWIU some of this was due to being screwed by the Chinese government the last time this happened (IIRC with SARS) and were much better prepared for something like this.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  FWIU some of this was due to being screwed by the Chinese government the last time this happened (IIRC with SARS) and were much better prepared for something like this.
                  Doesn't change the fact they have handled it better than most. But not necessarily better than we could have had we not been short-changing our pandemic response organizations due to the short- nearsightedness and general ignorance of certain elements of our leadership.

Of course, getting anyone in politics to look more than 2 to 4 years down the road is nearly impossible. It's just that recent examples are especially bad.

Heck - even in the middle of this where we are seeing exponential growth and can look at Italy and Spain and SEE our future we have certain persons pretending they can blow off the only known mechanism for slowing this down to make sure they are not facing a tanked economy come election time.

Of course, a sufficiently tanked economy is also a significant danger.

Too bad our leaders can't find that balancing point between the two.

But ... that requires leaders that care about more than their own personal interests.

Who would have thought that should be an important criteria for elected office?
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-23-2020, 02:48 PM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Doesn't change the fact they have handled it better than most. But not necessarily better than we could have had we not been short-changing our pandemic response organizations due to the short- nearsightedness and general ignorance of certain elements of our leadership.

Of course, getting anyone in politics to look more than 2 to 4 years down the road is nearly impossible. It's just that recent examples are especially bad.

Heck - even in the middle of this where we are seeing exponential growth and can look at Italy and Spain and SEE our future we have certain persons pretending they can blow off the only known mechanism for slowing this down to make sure they are not facing a tanked economy come election time.

Of course, a sufficiently tanked economy is also a significant danger.

Too bad our leaders can't find that balancing point between the two.

But ... that requires leaders that care about more than their own personal interests.

Who would have thought that should be an important criteria for elected office?
                    That doesn't answer the question. Which government, right now, facing a situation similar to the US (large, diverse population over a large geographical area) is handling it the best?

I sometimes get the impression that there is literally nothing Trump can do that would not be criticized by people like you. Heck, even if he were to resign today, I can picture you being furious that he didn't do it sooner!

Comment

That doesn't answer the question. Which government, right now, facing a situation similar to the US (large, diverse population over a large geographical area) is handling it the best?

I sometimes get the impression that there is literally nothing Trump can do that would not be criticized by people like you. Heck, even if he were to resign today, I can picture you being furious that he didn't do it sooner!
                      Trump can't continue to drag his feet with attempts to manipulate the economy of save his re-election effort and avoid criticism - this is true. He'd actually have to get off his duff and do something meaningful, maybe even actually listen to the people that know what is going on.

Like - say - Governor Cuomo.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        Trump can't continue to drag his feet with attempts to manipulate the economy of save his re-election effort and avoid criticism - this is true. He'd actually have to get off his duff and do something meaningful, maybe even actually listen to the people that know what is going on.

Like - say - Governor Cuomo.

Comment

USA is not handling it the best.

Comment

China.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              For your information concerning my prediction of the course of the coronavirus. I believe the coronavirus will diminish and gradually fade in May,

I believe that the Coronavirus will follow a similar pattern as other virus that jump from animals to humans. At first they are very contagious and have a high death rate, as time progresses the death rate drops and the severity of the virus infection decreases in part with the development of our immunity. This pattern was followed in China for about three months+. This is the pattern that will likely be for the virus as it infected other populations. As time passes in all countries and the course of the infection over time the severity and the death rate will drop, and Coronavirus will become endemic with the human population and possibly will cycle at different times from humans to animals and humans to animals.

See some graphs and maps that reflect the nature of the coronavirus over time here.

Coronavirus Map: Tracking the Spread of the Outbreak

http://.nytimes.com/interactive/2020...irus.maps.html

This may be hard to load. You may have to do an independent search.
                              If the trends continue the virus should peak at the end March or in April and taper off in May. Considering the nature of the course of viruses it is not useful to claim which country handles it best. We can remediate and reduce the impact of the coronavirus, but the virus takes its own course. Though China and the USA failed to act proactively when the coronavirus first appeared in the population.

Comment

The government that has handled it best so far with a large outbreak is S Korea. Period. Smaller countries have handled it much worse. And we most closely mirror Italy at this point.

Comment