Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    No - it was never used as my argument. If anything, I muddied the waters...
    This, my friend, is what makes conversation so difficult with you at times. Verbosity is your enemy.

As for the "unified", I'm specifically referring to congressional voting - where it matters. The Democrats seem to be able to rally their troops, including the supposed Independents, and the Republicans are all over the place. That, of course, was in the past, and the Republicans are far more united in that regard than they used to be.

I will concede, however, that the Democrats, of late, seem to be 'cracking up', and are not nearly the somewhat unified party they once were.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      This, my friend, is what makes conversation so difficult with you at times. Verbosity is your enemy.
      It can be. On the other hand, a five-word parenthetical clearly identified as my own is hardly "verbosity." SO it's also possible you're making much ado about nothing...right?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      As for the "unified", I'm specifically referring to congressional voting - where it matters. The Democrats seem to be able to rally their troops, including the supposed Independents, and the Republicans are all over the place. That, of course, was in the past, and the Republicans are far more united in that regard than they used to be.
      Again, if you can make this point with some actual information, I'd be happy to concede the point. Right now, all I have is your insistence that it has historically been so, and I don't believe you can make that case.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I will concede, however, that the Democrats, of late, seem to be 'cracking up', and are not nearly the somewhat unified party they once were.
      And I don't think they ever were. Until the beginning of Obama's term, I cannot think, offhand, of any issues where the Democrats were voting as a block, save those few issues that were so widely accepted that even Republicans voted for it (e.g., the so-called "Patriot Act").

And we've gone around enough. Isn't it time for you to abandon ship with a hearty, "you're right, Carpe. You're always right..."

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

It can be. On the other hand, a five-word parenthetical clearly identified as my own is hardly "verbosity." SO it's also possible you're making much ado about nothing...right?

Again, if you can make this point with some actual information, I'd be happy to concede the point. Right now, all I have is your insistence that it has historically been so, and I don't believe you can make that case.

And I don't think they ever were. Until the beginning of Obama's term, I cannot think, offhand, of any issues where the Democrats were voting as a block, save those few issues that were so widely accepted that even Republicans voted for it (e.g., the so-called "Patriot Act").

And we've gone around enough. Isn't it time for you to abandon ship with a hearty, "you're right, Carpe. You're always right..."

I willl happily allow you to suffer under the delusion that you're right.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It can be. On the other hand, a five-word parenthetical clearly identified as my own is hardly "verbosity."
          Correct - that was "muddying the waters" - the verbosity came in trying to defend that.

Comment

I willl happily allow you to suffer under the delusion that you're right.
            Fair enough.

And I will happily permit you to suffer under the delusion that I am deluded!
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Correct - that was "muddying the waters" - the verbosity came in trying to defend that.
              Umm...

...well....

hmmm...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Pretty much saying the same thing except in your usual biased way.
                With the exception that democrats have vocally told pro-life democrats that they can't be part of the party any longer.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  With the exception that democrats have vocally told pro-life democrats that they can't be part of the party any longer.
                  Some Democrats.

...and MANY Republicans have labeled non-conforming Republicans as "RINOs" and drummed them out of the party. Are you under the illusion that a pro-life Republican would be welcome in the party?

Comment

Some Democrats.

...and MANY Republicans have labeled non-conforming Republicans as "RINOs" and drummed them out of the party.
                    Your best three examples, please.

Comment

Your best three examples, please.
                      • Gary Johnson (Governor)
                      • Arlen Specter (Senator)
                      • Lincoln Chafee (Senator)
                      • Lowell Weicker (Senator)
                      • Michael Bloomberg (New York City Mayor)
                      • Jim Jeffords (Senator)
                      • Charlie Crist (Governor)
                      • John Anderson (Representative)
                      • Buddy Roemer (Governor)
                      • James Comey (FBI Director)
                      • Justin Amash (State Representative)

And I'm pretty sure I can hear the objection already: each of these people decided, of their own volition, to leave the party. Each of them, however, was also vilified and ostracized before and after their departure. One can only guess how much longer McCain would have lasted.

And you seem to completely forget the "Blue Dog Democrats," which still exist and currently has 25 members. This is a conservative coalition within the Democratic party. Can you point to any liberal coalition within the Republican party? Can you point to ANY Republican that is pro-choice and welcomed in the party? Can you even point to ANY Republican that is actually pro-choice?

And I presume we are still talking about Republicans in positions of political leadership (i.e., elected to office or in a leadership position running the party).
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-09-2020, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• Jim Jeffords (Senator)

And I'm pretty sure I can hear the objection already: each of these people decided, of their own volition, to leave the party. Each of them, however, was also vilified and ostracized before and after their departure. One can only guess how much longer McCain would have lasted.

And you seem to completely forget the "Blue Dog Democrats," which still exist and currently has 25 members. This is a conservative coalition within the Democratic party. Can you point to any liberal coalition within the Republican party? Can you point to ANY Republican that is pro-choice and welcomed in the party? Can you even point to ANY Republican that is actually pro-choice?

And I presume we are still talking about Republicans in positions of political leadership (i.e., elected to office or in a leadership position running the party).
                        AFAIK, Rudy Giuliani and Tom Ridge are both Pro-Choice Republicans, and both are nationally known and politically active.
                        Last edited by NorrinRadd; 05-09-2020, 10:58 AM. Reason: Too many "boths"
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          AFAIK, Rudy Giuliani and Tom Ridge are both Pro-Choice Republicans, and both are nationally known and politically active.
                          Giuliani's stance on abortion and choice is a little fuzzy, as the linked article concerning his various statements back when he was running for office suggests. And Giuliani, as far as I now, does not hold an elected office or a leadership position in the Republican party: he's Trump's personal attorney. As such, anything he think/feels most on the right will give him a pass on, as they do for Trump. He doesn't fit the profile we've been talking about (i.e., elected official or leadership position in the Republican Party).

As for Tom Ridge, again, the discussion was about current elected officials or leaders of the Republican Party. I'd even be happy to extend it to appointed government positions (e.g., Cabinet positions, for example), but Ridge hasn't held one of those since 2005, AFAICT. He was a senior aide to McCain in 2008. McCain was himself considered a RINO, so it does not really support the argument being made that a RINO gave another RINO a position. All in all, he's not really part of the group we've been talking about. He does, however, appear to be pro-choice. I suspect he would have zero chance of gaining elected office today, or appointment to a significant government position.

I think my point stands: I can find Democrats in elected/appointed/leadership positions across the political spectrum. You will have to look long and hard to find a Republican in such a position that is a liberal. Even the moderates are becoming rare. Any suggestion that Democrats are "single minded" and "follow the herd" or "function as a block" simply fails on the evidence. That accusation is more appropriately leveled at the Republican Party.
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-09-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Jim Jeffords (Senator)

And I'm pretty sure I can hear the objection already: each of these people decided, of their own volition, to leave the party.
                            Which was NOT the claim you made.
                            Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                            Some Democrats.

...and MANY Republicans have labeled non-conforming Republicans as "RINOs" and drummed them out of the party. Are you under the illusion that a pro-life Republican would be welcome in the party?

Comment

Giuliani's stance on abortion and choice is a little fuzzy, as the linked article concerning his various statements back when he was running for office suggests. And Giuliani, as far as I now, does not hold an elected office or a leadership position in the Republican party: he's Trump's personal attorney. As such, anything he think/feels most on the right will give him a pass on, as they do for Trump. He doesn't fit the profile we've been talking about (i.e., elected official or leadership position in the Republican Party).

As for Tom Ridge, again, the discussion was about current elected officials or leaders of the Republican Party. I'd even be happy to extend it to appointed government positions (e.g., Cabinet positions, for example), but Ridge hasn't held one of those since 2005, AFAICT. He was a senior aide to McCain in 2008. McCain was himself considered a RINO, so it does not really support the argument being made that a RINO gave another RINO a position. All in all, he's not really part of the group we've been talking about. He does, however, appear to be pro-choice. I suspect he would have zero chance of gaining elected office today, or appointment to a significant government position.

I think my point stands: I can find Democrats in elected/appointed/leadership positions across the political spectrum. You will have to look long and hard to find a Republican in such a position that is a liberal. Even the moderates are becoming rare. Any suggestion that Democrats are "single minded" and "follow the herd" or "function as a block" simply fails on the evidence. That accusation is more appropriately leveled at the Republican Party.
                              Ok.

FWIW, I'm not particularly a "big tent" kinda guy. I'd never vote for a Pro-Choice anything, and would generally not vote for a non-RWNJ, so for me, they might as well not be in the party.
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Jim Jeffords (Senator)

Dont forget Jeff Flake.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment