Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I wouldn't count on him being the actual nominee.
    What makes you think this is going to change?

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    You assumed incorrectly.
    If your reference was to some generic Democrat, wouldn't that include Mr. Biden? Did you have someone else in mind?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      What makes you think this is going to change?
      I believe that Dem senior leadership recognizes that Joe won't survive debates - he can't put two sentences together. Heck, he can't finish ONE before he rambles onto the next one.

If your reference was to some generic Democrat, wouldn't that include Mr. Biden? Did you have someone else in mind?
      I'm think there'll be a "draft Cuomo" movement, or one of the "rising star" women. But I really don't know. I just have a hard time believing Biden will survive the debates and/or the Dem Convention (if there is one).
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I believe that Dem senior leadership recognizes that Joe won't survive debates - he can't put two sentences together. Heck, he can't finish ONE before he rambles onto the next one.
        That should make the debates highly amusing, since that is exactly what Trump does!

I'm think there'll be a "draft Cuomo" movement, or one of the "rising star" women. But I really don't know. I just have a hard time believing Biden will survive the debates and/or the Dem Convention (if there is one).
        So that still doesn't answer the question "who were you thinking about" when you made your comment about "cede the election to a Democrat who puts partisan politics before ethics and country?" Was it someone specific, or were you simply suggesting that all Democrats match that description?
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

That should make the debates highly amusing, since that is exactly what Trump does!
          No, it's not EXACTLY what Trump does - Trump can actually make sentences, albeit they won't necessarily be true, but they will be sentences.
          Biden just kinda rambles on from sentence fragment to sentence fragment in total confusion.

If you REALLY believe their speech patterns are "exactly the same".... um.....

So that still doesn't answer the question "who were you thinking about" when you made your comment about "cede the election to a Democrat who puts partisan politics before ethics and country?"
          Whoever the nutcase is that will replace Biden.

Was it someone specific, or were you simply suggesting that all Democrats match that description?
          No, not all Democrats - just the ones at the top of the food chain - the nuttiest Democrats tend to rise to the top (if you can call it the top)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No, it's not EXACTLY what Trump does - Trump can actually make sentences, albeit they won't necessarily be true, but they will be sentences.
            Biden just kinda rambles on from sentence fragment to sentence fragment in total confusion.

If you REALLY believe their speech patterns are "exactly the same".... um.....
            Yeah, I've listened to both. My assessment: Trump lies in a word-salad. Biden just word-salads. If you think otherwise, I invite you to read a few transcripts of Trump speeches. The only time he doesn't word-salad is when he is reading from a script. Then he does that silly thing of misreading a word, adding "and" and then inserting the correct word - creating some very bizarre sentences.

Whoever the nutcase is that will replace Biden.

No, not all Democrats - just the ones at the top of the food chain - the nuttiest Democrats tend to rise to the top (if you can call it the top)
            So, pretty wide brush - and I would suggest not consistently applied. Biden does not fit the profile. I don't see Sanders fitting the profile. Cuomo does not seem to fit the profile. Perhaps your brush is a bit over-wide, and perhaps slightly tingled by your own political stance? Possibly...?

Comment

Yeah, I've listened to both. My assessment: Trump lies in a word-salad. Biden just word-salads....
              There's no use in arguing this if you think their "word salads" are from the same salad bar. Lying aside, Joe seems incapable of completing a sentence, often starting another one in the middle of the first, then zooming off to something else entirely.

Trump is more like a used car salesman - Joe is more like a nursing home patient.

Comment

So, pretty wide brush -
                Ummmm..... narrowed to those who have elbowed their way to the top.

and I would suggest not consistently applied. Biden does not fit the profile.[/quote]

Perhaps you forgot -- I'm discounting Joe - I don't think he'll be the nominee.

I don't see Sanders fitting the profile.
                Crazy Bernie? He's his own special class.

Comment

Ummmm..... narrowed to those who have elbowed their way to the top.

and I would suggest not consistently applied. Biden does not fit the profile.

Perhaps you forgot -- I'm discounting Joe - I don't think he'll be the nominee.

Crazy Bernie? He's his own special class.
                  Yes, he is. And I may be biased because he is from my own home state, but "Crazy Bernie" has had the same message throughout his career. As a mayor, he not only won a contest everyone said he couldn't, he used some pretty interesting "take it to the people" strategies to get past a city council that was out to prevent him from doing anything, and ended up revitalizing significant parts of the city. Eventually, that entire council that was against him was replaced by people who supported his agenda, and the city has been the better for it ever since. I would have been a very happy camper if he had been the nominee. Knowing what he is capable of first hand, I would have loved to see him take Trump apart and then see what he could have achieved as president.

As it is, that is not going to happen. And a great deal of Biden's future will depend on whom he selects for VP. If he chooses a young progressive with enough experience to be a good president in short order (i.e., 2024, or if Biden himself falls ill), I think you'll find the ticket a pretty strong one. The mantra of "losing his marbles" from the right won't make a great deal of difference to anyone but Trump's own base - and that base is already locked in so it makes little difference.

And if Trump keeps stepping on his own air hose with respect to the pandemic, and the economy continues to tank, I think people will be more than ready for a change in November.

Here's my prediction: Trump will continue to champion "open early - save the economy." His premature encouragement will result in the virus re-surging with the inevitable additional deaths and the need to extend protections and defensive measures. That will in turn extend the length of time it will take for the economy to recover. Meanwhile, Trump will continue to ignore obvious things he should be doing, continue to look for people/countries/institutions to blame, continue to throw dirt, continue to be hyper-fixated on his polls. By November, we'll have such a mess, the tide of public opinion will be "time to dump Trump." Biden will not only be the nominee, he and his VP choice will bury the Trump/Pence ticket, which will get primarily his fixated base and a fraction of the moderates. Trump will finally experience a landslide - and it will be the one that puts him put of office.

Now we wait to see if I have any predictive capabilities whatsoever.

Comment

Yes, he is. And I may be biased because he is from my own home state, but "Crazy Bernie" has had the same message throughout his career. As a mayor, he not only won a contest everyone said he couldn't, he used some pretty interesting "take it to the people" strategies to get past a city council that was out to prevent him from doing anything, and ended up revitalizing significant parts of the city. Eventually, that entire council that was against him was replaced by people who supported his agenda, and the city has been the better for it ever since. I would have been a very happy camper if he had been the nominee. Knowing what he is capable of first hand, I would have loved to see him take Trump apart and then see what he could have achieved as president.

As it is, that is not going to happen. And a great deal of Biden's future will depend on whom he selects for VP. If he chooses a young progressive with enough experience to be a good president in short order (i.e., 2024, or if Biden himself falls ill), I think you'll find the ticket a pretty strong one. The mantra of "losing his marbles" from the right won't make a great deal of difference to anyone but Trump's own base - and that base is already locked in so it makes little difference.

And if Trump keeps stepping on his own air hose with respect to the pandemic, and the economy continues to tank, I think people will be more than ready for a change in November.

Here's my prediction: Trump will continue to champion "open early - save the economy." His premature encouragement will result in the virus re-surging with the inevitable additional deaths and the need to extend protections and defensive measures. That will in turn extend the length of time it will take for the economy to recover. Meanwhile, Trump will continue to ignore obvious things he should be doing, continue to look for people/countries/institutions to blame, continue to throw dirt, continue to be hyper-fixated on his polls. By November, we'll have such a mess, the tide of public opinion will be "time to dump Trump." Biden will not only be the nominee, he and his VP choice will bury the Trump/Pence ticket, which will get primarily his fixated base and a fraction of the moderates. Trump will finally experience a landslide - and it will be the one that puts him put of office.

Now we wait to see if I have any predictive capabilities whatsoever.
                    You're absolutely right on all counts, Carpe. Biden ALL THE WAY!!!!

Comment

You're absolutely right on all counts, Carpe. Biden ALL THE WAY!!!!
                      We'll see...

Comment

• Interesting Poll from RCP.

The numbers don't look good for Mr. Trump - and I am personally very happy about that.

Comment

• Andrew thinks Trumpco and friends are using the CARES Act to stuff their pockets, and not keeping records.

https://openargs.com/oa383-trumps-ta...-vote-matters/

The story starts at about 27 minutes into OA383.
                          Last edited by firstfloor; 05-06-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                            Andrew thinks Trumpco and friends are using the CARES Act to stuff their pockets, and not keeping records.

https://openargs.com/oa383-trumps-ta...-vote-matters/

The story starts at about 27 minutes into OA383.
                            And this surprises you? So much of this man's history and the last 3.5 years screams "stuff my pockets at the expense of others." Why do you think he didn't want the oversight? Hopefully, the Congressional oversight will surface proof of his (very likely) self-serving actions and it will bite him in the election.

Comment

And this surprises you? So much of this man's history and the last 3.5 years screams "stuff my pockets at the expense of others." Why do you think he didn't want the oversight? Hopefully, the Congressional oversight will surface proof of his (very likely) self-serving actions and it will bite him in the election.
                              It's the biting him in the election. People just don't seem to care what he does. Latest gallop poll has his ratings up even though his (in)action likely will have killed 100,000 people by June.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/polit...rus/index.html

Very hard to believe.
                              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                                It's the biting him in the election. People just don't seem to care what he does. Latest gallop poll has his ratings up even though his (in)action likely will have killed 100,000 people by June.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/05/polit...rus/index.html

Very hard to believe.
                                Well - if the people of this country are stupid enough to put him back in office...they can have him. I'll be in New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Norway, Sweden, Tansania, and/or any of a half dozen other places!

Comment