Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Donald Trump and the Coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    So does anyone still think it's a good idea for a semi-literate politician that occupies the oval office to make medical suggestions from the podium? After the mess with chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, you'd think people would learn.
    I think the wise thing to do is to chalk it up to babble. To purposely assume he INTENDS for thousands of people to die, and make that accusation, is exactly the kind of thing that makes people accuse these nutters of TDS.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• It was a Biden-quality stupid statement. But he wasn't "recommending" it, he was asking the guy who was talking about disinfecting surfaces if they would study it in bodies. Still monumentally stupid, but he didn't recommend anyone inject themselves with disinfectants as the MSM is reporting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I think the wise thing to do is to chalk it up to babble. To purposely assume he INTENDS for thousands of people to die, and make that accusation, is exactly the kind of thing that makes people accuse these nutters of TDS.
        Ummm...no...I don't think he intends people to die with this babble. If you got that from my previous posts, you are conflating two things I did not intend be conflated. In this case, I think Trump is pontificating in areas he should be keeping his mouth shut about, and doing inadvertent harm in the process (though, of course, any harm that results certainly won't be his fault...)

The other question was whether anyone thinks Trump is capable of Jimmy Jones style atrocities. I think he is certainly capable, and wonder if (with the right inducements) if he wouldn't actually do it.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          It was a Biden-quality stupid statement. But he wasn't "recommending" it, he was asking the guy who was talking about disinfecting surfaces if they would study it in bodies. Still monumentally stupid, but he didn't recommend anyone inject themselves with disinfectants as the MSM is reporting.
          I think it's pretty obvious that Trump wasn't saying to inject people with household cleaners but, rather, asking that if you have something that can kill the Wuhan virus on surfaces then why couldn't we create a medication that could perform a similar function inside the human body.

At least that's the charitable way to interpret his admittedly clumsily worded question.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The other question was whether anyone thinks Trump is capable of Jimmy Jones style atrocities. I think he is certainly capable, and wonder if (with the right inducements) if he wouldn't actually do it.
            Ooh. I can't wait till you deny that you said that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              I think it's pretty obvious that Trump wasn't saying to inject people with household cleaners but, rather, asking that if you have something that can kill the Wuhan virus on surfaces then why couldn't we create a medication that could perform a similar function inside the human body.

At least that's the charitable way to interpret his admittedly clumsily worded question.
              Well he is now denying he was asking his expert to look into it, and claiming he was being sarcastic. That IS an obvious lie.

Comment

Well he is now denying he was asking his expert to look into it, and claiming he was being sarcastic. That IS an obvious lie.
                This is a surprise to you...?

The primary way to verify that Trump is lying is to check to see if he is talking.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Ooh. I can't wait till you deny that you said that.
                  Why would I deny it? I think he is capable of it (frankly, basic psychology suggests we are all capable of it), and I am left wondering if - with the proper inducements - he wouldn't actually do it.

As noted - Trump has demonstrated little or no obvious moral compass. Ergo, if asked if I think he would do it (which was the genesis of the discussion) I have to respond "I don't know." My gut tells me that if he had the right inducements, the answer would be "yes." But I frankly simply don't know. That's about as good as I can make it for him.

You folks are really way over analyzing this. "I don't know" and "he's certainly capable of it" means "he'd do it" or "he's well on his way to doing it." If you stayed with what I actually said and what it means, and accept clarifications when you ask for them, you might have a prayer of actually following the conversation. But you appear to be so bent on lumping me in with "liberals" and all the rest, what I actually say and think doesn't matter all that much to the discussion.

Makes discussion just a tad pointless. So, that being the case, I'll hop off here and let you continue to flail away at your strawmen.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Prosecutor: This serial killer told joe he was going to cut him limb to limb and eat his body parts!

MM Defense: Oh now now, he's just not good at saying what he really means ...
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• So this is what effective leadership looks like. Newsom is using tax dollars to support restaurants delivering meals to seniors, killing two birds with one stone: food to those who need it and business to the types of business most impacted by the pandemic. Way to go Newsom!

Meanwhile, federal leadership takes the form of making it necessary for doctors and manufacturers to jump into the fray to make sure people know that injecting disinfectants is NOT a good idea and that hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine should not be taken without a doctor's supervision because there are potentially serious complications and the race to secure the drugs is robbing people who actually need it from being able to get it.

What a contrast...

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Prosecutor: This serial killer told joe he was going to cut him limb to limb and eat his body parts!
                        Another bad analogy, Jim.
                        If the defense stipulates that the accused is, indeed, a serial killer, then it's reasonable to assume he would kill again.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Another bad analogy, Jim.
                          If the defense stipulates that the accused is, indeed, a serial killer, then it's reasonable to assume he would kill again.
                          I agree. The analogy was a bad one.

MM's attempted defense of Trump was pretty much as bad, IMO. Trump didn't ask a "clumsily worded question." He voiced an opinion about the need to investigate the injection of disinfectants into the human body. That investigation has already been done - which is why we have all of the warnings on the labels about "harmful if taken internally."

Comment

I agree. The analogy was a bad one.
                            I haven't been paying much attention to the ongoing hatefest, and I haven't been watching the news much at all, so maybe you can help with this...

Was it a bumbling spontaneous utterance, like, saying something that, in retrospect, may have sounded better in his head, or did he actually - as you claim - "voice an opinion about the need to investigate...."

What were his exact words?

ETA:

Can we agree that these are the exact words he used?

Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-25-2020, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I haven't been paying much attention to the ongoing hatefest, and I haven't been watching the news much at all, so maybe you can help with this...

Was it a bumbling spontaneous utterance, like, saying something that, in retrospect, may have sounded better in his head, or did he actually - as you claim - "voice an opinion about the need to investigate...."

What were his exact words?

ETA:

Can we agree that these are the exact words he used?
                              The quote in its context is here

THE PRESIDENT: ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN: THE PRESIDENT:

I haven't compared word for word, but I think your post is the second paragraph spoken by Mr. Trump.

Comment

The quote in its context is here

THE PRESIDENT: ACTING UNDER SECRETARY BRYAN: THE PRESIDENT:

I haven't compared word for word, but I think your post is the second paragraph spoken by Mr. Trump.
                                OK, so I think we agree that's the actual wording, yes? The first paragraph was about light, and the second about disinfectant, yes?

Comment