Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
    And yet they've been testing 10,000 people a day since February. That has nothing to do with size of the country.
    Jimmy, ever been there? You can drive from one end to another, in a few hours. How long does it take to drive across the US?
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      The US has now banned flights from Borisland.
      Pointlessly. You already have it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
        aaah ok so FF is trying to spread some fake news
        So knowing my luck, drinking hot tea just makes things worse...
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Pointlessly. You already have it.
          Read this.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Is anyone else more concerned that people just NOW seem to care about washing their hands?

Comment

When will infected Trudeauland be similarly blocked?

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                Welp...the City of Barstow has asked that gatherings of 250 or more be at least postponed to the end of April.

My church sponsors an annual Eggstravganza - this will be our 13th year, I think - the Saturday before Easter. We often draw at least 3,000 people. It is entirely funded by us. Wow...praying that we make the right decision on this.
                Originally posted by seanD View Post
                I had thought about that. How potential quarantines would affect church gatherings, and how the church would respond to that.
                The city made the decision for us...all events like this are cancelled.

Oh well...we'll make next year's even BIGGER!

And we have cancelled sunday school .... and our Primetimers (55 and over) are also cancelled. All until further notice.

I visited my dad at the vet's home...had to answer question about feeling sick, traveled to other countries, and I can't remember what else, and signed off before I could get in. And they won't let their residents go anywhere. It's even stricter at the convalescent home.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

What is Borisland?
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

• Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
                    Is anyone else more concerned that people just NOW seem to care about washing their hands?
                    Problem is, a lot of folks don't understand the nuance of that. I would bet, I mean I'd bet the farm that a lot of folks in this day and age we live are actually in their homes, and have never left their homes, constantly washing their hands thinking that's what it means.

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                      What is Borisland?
                      A reference to Boris Johnson -- Britain?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Dudes, this virus is beyond serious. Take care. BOC have been asked to quadruple the supply of oxygen to hospitals. Practice social isolation and observe good hygiene. We have to slow it down.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                          Dudes, this virus is beyond serious. Take care. BOC have been asked to quadruple the supply of oxygen to hospitals. Practice social isolation and observe good hygiene. We have to slow it down.
                          Just be hyper aware of where you put your hands when out in the public. I say this because, as an avid germaphobe most of my life, I obsess about these things.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            Just be hyper aware of where you put your hands when out in the public. I say this because, as an avid germaphobe most of my life, I obsess about these things.

Comment

• Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                              Not sure that is really accurate, the pandemic response unit's functions have not been dropped, they have been picked up elsewhere. And I thought (not sure since I have read conflicting reports) that the particular program was a one time funding for the ebola response.
                              https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...aised-69594177

In short, Trump dissolved the White House's pandemic team because he had no idea he might need a pandemic team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                There are plenty of reports that say otherwise: "Trump disbanded NSC pandemic unit that experts had praised. Public health and national security experts shake their heads when President Donald Trump says the coronavirus "came out of nowhere" and “blindsided the world.” "They've been warning about the next pandemic for years".

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...aised-69594177

In short, Trump dissolved the White House's pandemic team because he had no idea he might need a pandemic team.
                                Health care is not a single hierarchical organization similar to the US Army; it is diverse and scattered across uncountable organizations. Few media reports reflect any awareness of that. And our commitment to funding public health functions is tepid at best.

I thought the White House response team was funded by Obama, a response to ebola. I see no reason to have a separate response team in the White House. The CDC has those same capabilities.

I watched part of Trump's press conference on the national emergency, as well as clips from other countries. Dr Fauci and Secretary Azar were at Trump's side for the press conference, Health professionals were part of the decision making here, as well as in other countries. Which makes sense. (Not sure I have ever known the names of head of HHS and NIH).

Yes, the comments by Trump and others were definitely mind numbingly stupid, considering that we have been treated to some new epidemic threat every few years.

Comment