Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    How magnanimous of you, basically adding "present company excluded, maybe."

Anyway, carry on. I'll go back to lurking...I expect it wouldn't be long before the "maybe" was retracted and my own character got attacked too.
    Actually, I've usually been quite impressed with you posts and candor. As noted, my observations were about trend lines. Whether or not those trend lines apply to you is a decision I leave you to make. Generally, I think most of the Christian right has lost any claim to the moral high ground. The is certainly true of most of the most visible public faces of that sector, most Republicans I have encountered, and almost all of the GOP leadership. IMO, the "party of family values" has lost claim to that title.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      False.

For your edification, a montage of liberal media types repeatedly using the term "Wuhan coronavirus" and "Chinese coronavirus", long before they started hypocritically condemning Trump for using the common name that they themselves had drilled into the public consciousness:

You can also still find articles like these out there:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43527[/ATTACH]
      https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/h...mic-china.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43525[/ATTACH]
      https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/healt...ent/index.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43526[/ATTACH]
      https://time.com/5774366/how-coronavirus-spread-china/

The Time one is interesting, because while the headline says "Wuhan Coronavirus", the title you see in your browser tab reads "China Coronovirus".

So, no, Trump didn't start it, and he's not wrong to continue using the common name. I think his recent exchange with a reporter says it best:
      Idiot Reporter: "Why do you continue to call it the 'Chinese virus'?"

President Trump: "Because it started in China."
      For a time it was legitimate to refer to it by its location and/or point of apparent origin. It was mostly isolated and of limited impact.

But it's no longer localized, so the term now takes on a pejorative element - as you and others demonstrate regularly. It is now covid-19 or SARS-CoV-2 and a global pandemic. Its origin is no longer meaningful except to those, like you, that wish to cast blame and/or foster hate.
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        Wrong. I am not apologizing for calling you and others on willful ignorance. But I am sorry that I haven't figured out a way that makes the point but does not come across as a personal attack.

You and pix and others have demonstrated ignorance with regards to this pandemic that is difficult to reconcile with your demonstrated intelligence. And that is a difficult thing to observe without wanting to find some way to correct the problem.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          False.

For your edification, a montage of liberal media types repeatedly using the term "Wuhan coronavirus" and "Chinese coronavirus", long before they started hypocritically condemning Trump for using the common name that they themselves had drilled into the public consciousness:

You can also still find articles like these out there:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43527[/ATTACH]
          https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/02/h...mic-china.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43525[/ATTACH]
          https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/healt...ent/index.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43526[/ATTACH]
          https://time.com/5774366/how-coronavirus-spread-china/

The Time one is interesting, because while the headline says "Wuhan Coronavirus", the title you see in your browser tab reads "China Coronovirus".

So, no, Trump didn't start it, and he's not wrong to continue using the common name. I think his recent exchange with a reporter says it best:
          Idiot Reporter: "Why do you continue to call it the 'Chinese virus'?"

President Trump: "Because it started in China."
          As best I can tell, your montage supports my point: it was called the Wuhan or Chinese virus in the earliest days, as it was largely contained to China. I have not been able to date stamp all of the video clips, but the ones I was able to all dated back to late last year and early January, before we even had a U.S. case and the cases outside of China were in single, double digits, and low triple digits. As the virus spread to the rest of the world, the language shifted. Then Trump jumped back. As for his response - what can I tell you - the man lies.

Base on his history, the most likely explanation is he is intentionally sowing division - and succeeding.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            Is it coming now or is it simply a promise aid is coming?
            Both

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
            And what provides the money to support this stuff?
            For the local resources, a variety of sources. For state sources, current taxes. For federal resources, we are borrowing the money from our children, grandchildren, and quite possibly great grandchildren. Indeed, many generations will likely pay this tab on top of the tab for all of the rest of our chronic overspending for the past several decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              Actually, I've usually been quite impressed with you posts and candor. As noted, my observations were about trend lines. Whether or not those trend lines apply to you is a decision I leave you to make. Generally, I think most of the Christian right has lost any claim to the moral high ground. The is certainly true of most of the most visible public faces of that sector, most Republicans I have encountered, and almost all of the GOP leadership. IMO, the "party of family values" has lost claim to that title.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Both
                How long?

2 weeks? A month? 6 months?

Fast, the government is not. It will likely take the government several weeks to set anything up, too late for many.

For the local resources, a variety of sources. For state sources, current taxes. For federal resources, we are borrowing the money from our children, grandchildren, and quite possibly great grandchildren. Indeed, many generations will likely pay this tab on top of the tab for all of the rest of our chronic overspending for the past several decades.
                Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-25-2020, 11:17 AM.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

As best I can tell, your montage supports my point: it was called the Wuhan or Chinese virus in the earliest days, as it was largely contained to China. I have not been able to date stamp all of the video clips, but the ones I was able to all dated back to late last year and early January, before we even had a U.S. case and the cases outside of China were in single, double digits, and low triple digits. As the virus spread to the rest of the world, the language shifted. Then Trump jumped back. As for his response - what can I tell you - the man lies.

Base on his history, the most likely explanation is he is intentionally sowing division - and succeeding.
                  Spin spin spin...

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• You see what you wish to see pix.
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

For a time it was legitimate to refer to it by its location and/or point of apparent origin. It was mostly isolated and of limited impact.

But it's no longer localized, so the term now takes on a pejorative element - as you and others demonstrate regularly. It is now covid-19 or SARS-CoV-2 and a global pandemic. Its origin is no longer meaningful except to those, like you, that wish to cast blame and/or foster hate.
                      Spin spin spin...

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Vs millions dead that will not die if we can slow the spread of the disease. Which is more important?

It's not a trivial question, there is no simple choice.

If to little is done, the economy crashes anyway because of the impact of so many dying and the overwhelmed medical system. If the shutdowns are too harsh, we can fall into depression or worse and many will suffer for a very long time.

Is there anyway to acknowledge this is not trivial, and that both problems exists, and that the solution is to work together and listen to one another rather than demonize each other and lock ourselves in our respective corners?
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 03-25-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

You see what you wish to see pix.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Vs millions dead. Which is more important?
                            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 03-25-2020, 11:22 AM.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Where did I say "the government will take care of all of our problems?"

You appear to be building a strawman here, so I have no further response.

Comment

Where did I say "the government will take care of all of our problems?"

You appear to be building a strawman here, so I have no further response.
                                Your words:

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                Next week? No. We are stocked and sheltered. However, I don't see the relevance of this question. Steps are being taken to provide for the needs of those in that position at the local, state, and federal levels.
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment