Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post

You'll have to chat with the South Dakota and the coronavirus site statistical people on that one. We'll see if they sort out the numbers in the next month or so.

You are right. Thanks. They are stating that the line represents a weekly average but it actually seems to be following the daily number with. https://covidtracking.com/data/chart...llion-by-state

I suspect they were trying to set up a line to represent the weekly average but goofed.

Typically, if we can say that, they would have 153 deaths (8000/52) per week. This then is roughly like 2/3rds of the deaths are attributed to coronavirus or that the people were corona-positive (by symptoms or by testing).

This low number in such a narrow area is still encouraging. I also saw that California never reached a significant percentage of deaths due to coronavirus.
    Over 100 per week from covid-19 is not a low number when you normally have 153 per week from all causes.

South Dakota had 500 more deaths between March 15 and October 24 this year than in a normal year. That's about 37% more than the number attributed to covid-19.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Over 100 per week from covid-19 is not a low number when you normally have 153 per week from all causes.

South Dakota had 500 more deaths between March 15 and October 24 this year than in a normal year. That's about 37% more than the number attributed to covid-19.
      The additional deaths on the CDC site is 191 which begins in May and goes to last week of October.
      This is not a pandemic level but it is about 3% higher compared to the same period last year. The November number may put it at4%. I think these can largely be accounted for by the mass hysteria created by the news media.

Of course, these numbers can be adjusted for some late data but I remember seeing that the death records have to be forwarded to the county or state within 5 days. So, the data should be close to final.
      Last edited by mikewhitney; 11-17-2020, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• ​ Here's the chat I created from the data from 2 weeks ago. The last week might be low due to the 5 day latitude in reporting deaths in SD.

SD Covid Chart to end of oct 2020.png
        The highest point is about the first week of Sept. Generally the 2020 data (red line) is riding pretty close to the 2019 data (blue line).

This type of results has been common for headlines that promoted fear in the last six months that has contradicted the actual data.​

The data comes from https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Weekly-Cou...uses/muzy-jte6

I got an excel or csv download and had to rearrange the data for convenient graphing.

Comment

Maybe they are not being treated properly because the medical system is pigeon holing everything into coronavirus. But I appreciate you sharing anecdotal news, this confirms that you are not able to find scientific studies.

There may be a real virus or other disease going around. The thing we know is that the case counts are useless since we cannot tell if the novel coronavirus is the cause of the problems nor does the popular PCR test offer worthwhile results whether someone even has this specific virus. The PCR test cannot tell if some has fragments of it, an ineffective amount, or an amount that might cause sickness. The PCR test should not go through more than 30-35 cycles and should only be used within 3-5 days (if memory serves) after acquiring this.

The most obvious thing to notice is that deaths do not follow proportionately the number of cases. So you were wrong on that.

Here's some numbers of normal deaths per year in South Dakota

In South Dakota we have a 884,659 population.

There are about 618 deaths attributed to covid-19. Say this is from april to nov 7 0.07 % of population ... even if it is a short period, it is not shown to far exceed normal death rates

We can find the deaths per year here:
          Flu Deaths in 2016-7 season
          https://doh.sd.gov/documents/disease...FluSummary.pdf

This seems to show 43 deaths. However, we know that many comorbidities have accompanied most deaths, so that we cannot assume these are caused or enhanced by covid-19

We see the "normal" deaths per year at 7,971 (2018) but do not have any increased rate of deaths available on this site: https://doh.sd.gov/statistics/2018Vital/Mortality.pdf

We don't have any big trend happening. The rate shown on the corona tracking is 17.3 or 17.4 per million for two separate weeks. This is 15 deaths per week. We could hope that this is the worst situation in the world since these rates are so very low.

The South Dakota rates then are very good news since they represent the high end. And these number tend to include the deaths with comorbidities.

Thanks Shuny for sharing this encouraging info.
          Bold is egregious misrepresentation of the fatality rate in the Dakotas, and still advocating conservative eugenics. It is rate of cases and fatalities over time that yes it is a pandemic. No, the cause of the deaths is COVID-19 based on actual positive COVID-19 concerning the fatalities and deaths.

Stoic corrected your egregious ENRON misrepresentation of the data. Nation wide, particularly in the rural areas, the cases and fatalities due to COVID-19 has indeed filled the hospitals beyond capacity.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 11-17-2020, 05:26 AM.

Comment

​ Here's the chat I created from the data from 2 weeks ago. The last week might be low due to the 5 day latitude in reporting deaths in SD.

SD Covid Chart to end of oct 2020.png
            The highest point is about the first week of Sept. Generally the 2020 data (red line) is riding pretty close to the 2019 data (blue line).

This type of results has been common for headlines that promoted fear in the last six months that has contradicted the actual data.​

The data comes from https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Weekly-Cou...uses/muzy-jte6

I got an excel or csv download and had to rearrange the data for convenient graphing.
            Your dishonest representation of the data continues. How do you explain the fact that all the hospitals are beyond capacity due to COVID-19 cases in the Dakotas and elsewhere in rural America.

Remember your egregious misrepresentation of CDC, which actually showed that COVID-19 deaths were higher than the reported deaths nationwide.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Your dishonest representation of the data continues. How do you explain the fact that all the hospitals are beyond capacity due to COVID-19 cases in the Dakotas and elsewhere in rural America.

Remember your egregious misrepresentation of CDC, which actually showed that COVID-19 deaths were higher than the reported deaths nationwide.
              You always spew non-scientific ideas. If you wish to respond, please do so with science or actual data.

You pointed to information that turned out to be good news about the minimal deaths and now you want to obfuscate that. Why?

Comment

Bold is egregious misrepresentation of the fatality rate in the Dakotas, and still advocating conservative eugenics. It is rate of cases and fatalities over time that yes it is a pandemic. No, the cause of the deaths is COVID-19 based on actual positive COVID-19 concerning the fatalities and deaths.

Stoic corrected your egregious ENRON misrepresentation of the data. Nation wide, particularly in the rural areas, the cases and fatalities due to COVID-19 has indeed filled the hospitals beyond capacity.
                I'm not sure why you slam me for the data that comes from the CDC and South Dakota. If you have issues with the data, please contact the respective agencies. I'm sorry that I cannot fudge the data so that you will be happier living in fear and that you might loose fake basis to slam America more.

Here are pictures from the South Dakota website
                SDNov17Hospitals.png
                And here is a snapshot of the numbers in a different fashion
                SDNov17HospitalGraph.png

You pay attention to headlines and news stories instead of facts. Tell me what is missing.
                Last edited by mikewhitney; 11-17-2020, 11:19 AM.

Comment

• I should add that a study found that people who with psychological conditions were 65% more likely to be found coronavirus positive. It is sort of a given. Immunity depends on both mind and body. Fear and stress, as promoted by the mainstream media, promotes covid-19 and increases it. They never recommend boosting your immune system. They never give accurate data either.

Comment

Just to be sure. The title and the deaths per capita show rates well below any pandemic level. The deaths per capita remain statistically too low to represent any obvious threat from the novel coronavirus. Plus, as mentioned earlier, the deaths with comorbidities often are identified as covid-19-related.

The SD site does list 644 deaths for 62521 positive tests. This would be 1% of that. However, we don't know when and who they have tested. If you just test people seriously ill, then this is a low number. If lots of young people just are curious about their status while older people only get it when in the hospital, the numbers of deaths have little relationship to the young people's positive results -- if even you give any significance to PCR tests being done.
                    The pandemic level of deaths in the USA has long past the rate of fatalities in the USA as a whole long ago and know moving in the rural areas. In the rural areas it is just beginning to be wide spread as well as fatalities.

You always have been a pandemic denier and egregiously manipulated data and graphs to justify your rejection. Like Trump you believe in the egregious cruel 6% figure of fatalities reflected in you statement: "Maybe they are not being treated properly because the medical system is pigeon holing everything into coronavirus."

You have consistently misrepresented the facts of the pandemic to justify your agenda. Yes I will give you grief over misrepresenting the CDC article which concluded that the fatality rate was severely under counted, and you made a bogus conclusion concerning fatalities due to flu.

Comment

The pandemic level of deaths in the USA has long past the rate of fatalities in the USA as a whole long ago and know moving in the rural areas. In the rural areas it is just beginning to be wide spread as well as fatalities.

You always have been a pandemic denier and egregiously manipulated data and graphs to justify your rejection. Like Trump you believe in the egregious cruel 6% figure of fatalities reflected in you statement: "Maybe they are not being treated properly because the medical system is pigeon holing everything into coronavirus."

You have consistently misrepresented the facts of the pandemic to justify your agenda. Yes I will give you grief over misrepresenting the CDC article which concluded that the fatality rate was severely under counted, and you made a bogus conclusion concerning fatalities due to flu.
                      I again thank your for sharing your panic mode of thinking. Hopefully you will calm down and shift to a scientific mode of thought. I am looking forward to that time.

I have shown the data but you have not responded back on that. You just complain about Trump -- whatever he might have to do with the CDC data in your mind.

For now on I know not to take you seriously when you ask for the science.

Comment

I again thank your for sharing your panic mode of thinking. Hopefully you will calm down and shift to a scientific mode of thought. I am looking forward to that time.

I have shown the data but you have not responded back on that. You just complain about Trump -- whatever he might have to do with the CDC data in your mind.

For now on I know not to take you seriously when you ask for the science.
                        You need not take me seriously, but the actual objective verifiable scientific evidence confirms the pandemic which you deny based egregious manipulation of te data.

Comment

You need not take me seriously, but the actual objective verifiable scientific evidence confirms the pandemic which you deny based egregious manipulation of te data.
                          you have just been sharing scientific study after scientific study. NOT!!

The data is there for you to explain. But you respond with fluff.

Comment

you have just been sharing scientific study after scientific study. NOT!!

The data is there for you to explain. But you respond with fluff.
                            Your manipulate the data is egregiously cruel concerning those that suffer and die due to COVID-19. My only error is that it was many other states and cities not the Dakotas where the hospital were full and over flowing with severe COVID-19 cases.

Comment

Your manipulate the data is egregiously cruel concerning those that suffer and die due to COVID-19. My only error is that it was many other states and cities not the Dakotas where the hospital were full and over flowing with severe COVID-19 cases.
                              I'm not cruel. It is science that is cold facts and tells us the true story. My analysis of the data does not kill people. It is disease that does this. It is disease that operates in predictable ways -- not in the ways the media pretends it to happen.

You keep repeating the same lines. You have not shown any error but just spout your misinformed opinion. Why should I not be surprised?
                              Last edited by mikewhitney; 11-18-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

• Over 70% of coronavirus patients wore mask, followed guidelines - CDC study
                                https://www.jpost.com/health-science/coronavirus-patients-can-contract-virus-despite-wearing-face-masks-cdc-645685

Face masks and coverings are not 100% effective at preventing the spread of thecoronavirus, according to aSeptember study from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
                                The study, conducted in July, found that over 70% of the 154 "case-patients," who had tested positive for COVID-19, were infected despite making efforts to abide by CDC guidelines, including the wearing of face masks.
                                It is possible that some of the infections may have been caused by removing face coverings for food or drink. Another possibility is airflow, as “direction, ventilation and intensity of airflow might affect virus transmission, even if social distancing measures and mask use are implemented according to current guidance,” according to the CDC report.
                                This is reflective of an incident at Tel Aviv's Sourasky Medical Center, where a doctor and two nurses may have been infected with the coronavirus
                                by the aerosol coming from a ventilator being used on a patient.
                                However, the CDC report further explained that it is impossible to evaluate exactly where someone contracted the virus.

That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment