Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    You just made his point ...
    Pretty much...
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You just made his point ...
      You're welcome.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

And you wonder why I dont read Breitbart. Sure its no worse than the flu. That's why 26 of 80 residents in the nearby nursing home died when covid 19 found them. That is why my friend a littke younger than me died when covid 19 fiund her.That is why after just a few months more people have died of this thing than the worst flu years over a full 5 to 6 month flu season - and that with intense social distancing hampering its spread.. And why morgues overflowed in NYC and they had to bring in freezer trucks to hold the extra bodies.

I dont read breitbart because they are idiots, and so are you for continuing to try to pretend this thing is no big deal.
        Breitbart cites facts and expert opinion. You cite personal anecdotes.

Yes, lots of people are dying, but that's because lots of people have contacted it and not because it's necessarily more deadly. I'm reasonably certain both of my 70-year old parents contacted the China flu earlier this year because they had all the symptoms, but they recovered without treatment or complications, so it's not a guaranteed death sentence.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...691_story.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Yes, lots of people are dying, but that's because lots of people have contacted it and not because it's necessarily more deadly. I'm reasonably certain both of my 70-year old parents contacted the China flu earlier this year because they had all the symptoms, but they recovered without treatment or complications, so it's not a guaranteed death sentence.
            26 out of 80 at a nursing home is not an anecdote. It's a simple fact. Mortality for people overv70 is 13% in Maryland, and over 20% for people over 80. What happened in NYC is not an anecdote either. The inaccuracy in your summaries of my posts is beyond what can be excused as mere ignorance.

As I said, people pretending or suggesting the facts support the idea this is no worse than the flu are basically just idiots. But they are dangerous idiots, because their foolish lack of willingness to face reality will cost the lives of people that are influenced by them.
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-09-2020, 10:22 AM.
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I just have to point out the mensa level reasoning here. MM's parents were sick 'earlier this year' so he arbitrarily and without any real evidence convinces himself this was covid after all, and they, they aren't dead, so 26 out of 80 dead in a nursing home, a story repeated over and over again across the country, is not an indicator of the severity of this disease that should be heeded or responded to with any real urgency, after all, it's "not a guaranteed《death sentence".

Just brilliant.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 05-09-2020, 06:43 PM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I just have to point out the mensa level reasoning here. MM's parents were sick 'earlier this year' so he arbitrarily and without any real evidence convinces himself this was covid after all, and they, they aren't dead, so 26 out of 80 dead in a nursing home, a story repeated over and over again across the country, is not an indicator of the severity of this disease that should be heeded or responded to with any real urgency, after all, it's "not a guaranteed《death sentence".

Just brilliant.
                This is a form of argumentation I encounter here often. A claim is made about a statistical event/probability, and to support the claim a single example is cited. I have often responded to such arguments by noting that an example is not an argument in such a context. If you are going to make a statistical claim (e.g., this disease is not severe), you cannot support that claim by noting that "Person X had it and did not die." You need to have statistical evidence to make a statistical claim. That means data gather across an adequate sample size where the Law of Large Numbers applies.

But, usually, that just falls on deaf ears. I have come to the conclusion that most folks here simply do not understand data and statistics. That was amply demonstrated in discussions about the accuracy of the 2016 polls. That being said - most of the media didn't understand polling either, so ...
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

This also ignores the fact that many who require hospitalization will suffer lifelong organ damage (lung, kidney, heart I've heard of but it probably goes further than that). So even people who recover might have seriously compromised quality of life.

Comment

• According to Dr. Inglesby of the John Hopkins University, counting those who are at high risk - people over 60 and those with preconditions- they make up 90 millions of Americans. For those who argue that this virus won't affect them that much - I can only guess these people are not in the class of high risk - then just consider this: if most of these 90 million people die in the next 6 months, just think what that will do to the economy?!? The 1930's Depreciation would then be a footnote compare to this catastrophe.

Comment

• 96080956_10221772000034194_1263627537951490048_o.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
                        According to Dr. Inglesby of the John Hopkins University, counting those who are at high risk - people over 60 and those with preconditions- they make up 90 millions of Americans.
                        Annoyingly, the CDC has at least two different PSAs giving different ages for the "high-risk" group -- 60 and 65.

If it's 60, I'm in the high-risk group, especially because of preconditions (significant HBP; obesity, though an Urgent Care doctor I saw recently in regard to an infection didn't think so; taking ACE inhibitors, though some now speculate they may actually be slightly protective).

For those who argue that this virus won't affect them that much - I can only guess these people are not in the class of high risk - then just consider this: if most of these 90 million people die in the next 6 months, just think what that will do to the economy?!? The 1930's Depreciation would then be a footnote compare to this catastrophe.
                        I am an advocate for ending lock-down and getting practices back to pre Wu-WHO Flu norms ASAP. I am in the high-risk group.

As to whether the virus will affect my group "much" -- where is there any data that remotely suggests that other in a low-quality nursing home setting, "most" people in my group would die?
                        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          Annoyingly, the CDC has at least two different PSAs giving different ages for the "high-risk" group -- 60 and 65.

If it's 60, I'm in the high-risk group, especially because of preconditions (significant HBP; obesity, though an Urgent Care doctor I saw recently in regard to an infection didn't think so; taking ACE inhibitors, though some now speculate they may actually be slightly protective).

I am an advocate for ending lock-down and getting practices back to pre Wu-WHO Flu norms ASAP. I am in the high-risk group.

As to whether the virus will affect my group "much" -- where is there any data that remotely suggests that other in a low-quality nursing home setting, "most" people in my group would die?
                          Being willing to take a risk does not confer the right to demand others take the same risk.

Comment

• Last edited by firstfloor; 05-10-2020, 04:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

...where is there any data that remotely suggests that other in a low-quality nursing home setting, "most" people in my group would die?
                              Hard to find data that separates death rate between nursing and non-nursing cases. I did get one from the UK: population >60 is around 24%, the death rate among >60 in nursing homes, 64%. It did not say if these were low-quality nursing homes.

Comment

Being willing to take a risk does not confer the right to demand others take the same risk.
                                They can choose to stay home and hide in the closet.

Is there any hard evidence that stringent lockdown -- or any other measures -- will have a significant effect on the area under the bell curve?

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment