Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Right, and the reporter was referencing "now" when he claimed that the US was behind. He was wrong, he admitted it, he apologized to Trump (although it would have been better if he did it in person during the next press briefing instead of dumping it on the graffiti wall known as "social media", but at least he apologized). Why are you still trying to act like his original incorrect statement has merit?
    Are you seriously asking that of the person who refused to back down from his defense of NAMBLA through dozen of pages?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Yeah - but he still had his facts wrong when he asked the question. He should have known better. It was a bad question.
      Yep, I assume, if Dr. Birx is correct, it was a misinformed question. He should have asked why the US was so far behind S Korea in testing from the get go. The fact that the US may have caught up to S Korea 2 or 3 months after the fact isn't a thing for the administration to be boasting about.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Yep, I assume, if Dr. Birx is correct, it was a misinformed question. He should have asked why the US was so far behind S Korea in testing from the get go. The fact that the US may have caught up to S Korea 2 or 3 months after the fact isn't a thing for the administration to be boasting about.
        I am sympathetic to the argument that the U.S. is larger and will take more time to respond. However, over three months after the first case and over two months after the first community transmission is simply indefensible. And the specific mistakes that have been made that have resulted in where we are today are simply too numerous and significant to ignore.

We need better leadership.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• I don't know what is happening, but UK deaths just spiked through the roof. There have been 4,419 new deaths today alone.

My wife and I were originally supposed to be in London today to begin a 10 day vacation.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I don't know what is happening, but UK deaths just spiked through the roof. There have been 4,419 new deaths today alone.

My wife and I were originally supposed to be in London today to begin a 10 day vacation.
            Wow! I think it might be the result of more accurate accounting of cause of death. My sister and her family live in both London and the US and just returned to the US the day before Trump closed travel from the UK.

Comment

• The evidence of the coronavirus affecting the blood and causing clotting that is leading to strokes and other complications is mounting. This report just came out from NYC and references several other data points that suggest this is a serious issue.

Comment

• It sounds to me that the POTUS has gone completely off the rails. Someone should sedate him before he has a heart attack.

Comment

• More daily data is making the progress of the CVOD 19 pandemic clearer. The USA is over the hump of the peak in late April, and in gradual recovery like China did and recovered, and France and other European countries. Russia's bumpy peak will be in a week or so. The paths of the viruses are closely related to when each region or country was first infected, and they are approaching the peak and going over in the order they were infected.

See this cite for the latest data: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavir...HN+FRA+DEU+KOR.

Comment

The evidence of the coronavirus affecting the blood and causing clotting that is leading to strokes and other complications is mounting. This report just came out from NYC and references several other data points that suggest this is a serious issue.
                    I'm reading that the actual death rate from the virus is way under reported, by about half, because there are many people who, for various reasons, die from the disease having never been tested. That would bring the total deaths in the US to about 120 thousand. I recall a few weeks back when NY state added 37,000 deaths to there total that were not previously counted as Covid related and that mistake is probably still going on throughout the country and the world.

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      It sounds to me that the POTUS has gone completely off the rails. Someone should sedate him before he has a heart attack.
                      What now?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        I'm reading that the actual death rate from the virus is way under reported, by about half, because there are many people who, for various reasons, die from the disease having never been tested. That would bring the total deaths in the US to about 120 thousand. I recall a few weeks back when NY state added 37,000 deaths to there total that were not previously counted as Covid related and that mistake is probably still going on throughout the country and the world.
                        I think you have that number wrong. NYS has 23,474 reported deaths, so it is impossible for them to have added 37,000 deaths.

Well...unless 13,526 of them came back to life? Seer tells me there's historical precedent for that.

Comment

I think you have that number wrong. NYS has 23,474 reported deaths, so it is impossible for them to have added 37,000 deaths.
                          Right, I meant 3,700.
                          Well...unless 13,526 of them came back to life? Seer tells me there's historical precedent for that.

Comment

The data for NYC is influx and will take a while to sort it out for accurate numbers. This is the official NYC site with the best information and explains the problems:https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data.page

Nonetheless NYC appears to be on the road to recover on a rocky road. Other states that became infected later like Georgia and Florida are increasing in both new cases and fatalities. North Caroling where I live it is gradually increasing less severe than Georgia and Florida.

One of the reasons for the slow recovery is the uneven time the first cases arrived at different states and regions.
                            Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-29-2020, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I don't know what is happening, but UK deaths just spiked through the roof. There have been 4,419 new deaths today alone.

The UK has just changed the way it does the count - they were previously underreporting, because they were previously only reporting cases with positive tests, and testing was limited. Now testing is much more widespread and they (we) are reporting deaths which are symptomatic but not confirmed. Hence the jump.

The UK government is doing a reasonable in the present circumstances, but unfortunately those present circumstances are a result of doing a very bad job earlier - late response, testing those with symptoms rather than those who've had contact, not testing and not quarantining border entrants, not having pandemic emergency planning. We're as hard hit as Spain and Italy, despite having had the opportunity to learn from their experience. It's terrible.
                              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                And you missed part II, the US is the largest western country both by geography and population.
                                In what sense is the US larger than Canada geographically?
                                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment