Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
    They all do it, because everyone has biases. Period. To what "degree" is just a matter of opinion. If you're left, you trust left sources. If you're right, you trust right sources. Hopefully you're somewhere in between and look at multiple sources.
    Actually, that is not how I proceed. I trust sources that, when I chase down the details of their articles, they consistently check out as both accurate and the details have been faithfully replicated rather than picked out of context to spin a point of view. I am more concerned with accuracy of information than I am with left/right bias.

As for how I assess their left/right lean, it is only partially informed by my own opinion, because I know I am prone to bias. Instead I looked for multiple sources that assess left/right bias, and specifically included an aggregator and a socially-driven assessor in the mix. I actually don't agree with some of their assessments, but (cognizant of my bias), I accept the aggregate of those assessments and my own as "as close to unbiased as I am likely to get." Bias is never completely removed. It can be mitigated - but not eliminated. At some point, you have to trust a bit.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• That quote is indeed correct. Now read it again, Pix. You have once again added meaning to my post and ignored significant aspects, so you are back to talking to your mental caricature.

Doubt that Trump will be re-elected or doubt that I am actually going to leave?

I am hopeful that Trump will actually not be re-elected, and I would recommend you do not make bet on the latter. But if you wish to, Id be happy to take that bet...

BTW - I'm curious to know if you agree with MM's characterization of those media outlets. Do you also rate those outlets as:

Breitbart: Right
      Mother Jones: Extreme left
      FOX: Neutral
      CNN: Extreme left
      WSJ: Left
      BBC: Left
      Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-21-2020, 04:17 PM.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• I think carpe might just be trolling us at this point.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I understand all that. But, beyond that, there seems to be a sense of "well, this virus is different, so we don't really know".
          Yes, Viruses vary in the relationship with their hosts, but the COVID-19 does behave in many ways like other viruses. I gave some of specific differences with the H1N1 and COVID-19 in a previous post. There are certain viruses that can jump from host to host as a pattern for their survival, and some viruses cannot. Coronaviruses and H1N1 viruses can readily move from host to host including humans. The viruses like H1N1 and COVID-19 that readily migrate from host to host often do so in an annual cycle, and their infection of one host follows a bell cure infection history in the population. COVID-19 follows this predictable path is the basis for my previous prediction. The only thing that I am it appears a little low on the fatality prediction. My prediction that the peak will be between late April to early May tapering off in May and June still stands. It has not been determined that COVID-19 will have a cycle like flus.

There is a big problem with claims of leaders in China and the USA that we are defeating the virus, but in reality as in pandemics before; the virus does what the virus does. We can reduce the fatalities and severe cases, but because 80% or more of those infected are asymptomatic of only show mild systems. The virus actually in relation to the host controls the pandemic. Vaccines developed will like lonly be significantly effect if the COVAG-19 returns in a cycle
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-21-2020, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Honest self-assessment.
            1) How do you discover your own internal biases?
            2) How do you know such discovery is complete (how to you discover a bias you are not aware of)?
            3) How do you keep those internal biases from making you dishonest in your self assessment?
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              Actually, that is not how I proceed. I trust sources that, when I chase down the details of their articles, they consistently check out as both accurate and the details have been faithfully replicated rather than picked out of context to spin a point of view. I am more concerned with accuracy of information than I am with left/right bias.

As for how I assess their left/right lean, it is only partially informed by my own opinion, because I know I am prone to bias. Instead I looked for multiple sources that assess left/right bias, and specifically included an aggregator and a socially-driven assessor in the mix. I actually don't agree with some of their assessments, but (cognizant of my bias), I accept the aggregate of those assessments and my own as "as close to unbiased as I am likely to get." Bias is never completely removed. It can be mitigated - but not eliminated. At some point, you have to trust a bit.
              You won't find a source that isn't either left or right. You're delusional if you think you will. Most news sources will be slanted to the left. And the fact you actually "trust sources" is foolhardy also. I look at a source without NO trust, because I always assume they're bias and will have some sort of bent or slant on it, which is why I cross reference the sources with other sources to get different angles or different bits of information that I can piece together on my own. It also depends on what the sources are used for. If we're talking extensive research, this is essential. If were talking about a report about a current event, not so much, unless the source is heavy on opinion or commentary.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                1) How do you discover your own internal biases?
                2) How do you know such discovery is complete (how to you discover a bias you are not aware of)?
                3) How do you keep those internal biases from making you dishonest in your self assessment?
                So long as the "self" is the only form of assessment - you cannot hope to mitigate bias. The biased self will always get in the way, no matter how "honest" you think you are being. You need outside resources to assess bias, recognizing that no outside source will be perfect and may well be subject to its own bias. I put my trust in "casting a wide net." I can think of no other way to mitigate my own bias.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  You won't find a source that isn't either left or right. You're delusional if you think you will. Most news sources will be slanted to the left. And the fact you actually "trust sources" is foolhardy also. I look at a source without NO trust, because I always assume they're bias and will have some sort of bent or slant on it, which is why I cross reference the sources with other sources to get different angles or different bits of information that I can piece together on my own. It also depends on what the sources are used for. If we're talking extensive research, this is essential. If were talking about a report about a current event, not so much, unless the source is heavy on opinion or commentary.
                  As I noted, Sean - my approach is to deeply examine the claims made the first time I see a byline. As I find their use of information is accurate, I gain trust and my checking reduces to "spot checking." There is no way a single person can exhaustively chase down every claimed fact in every article. At some point, trust becomes part of the equation. Of course, reading from multiple sources is also helpful. TO that end, I find allsides.com a very useful resource.
                  Last edited by carpedm9587; 04-21-2020, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• talkingpoints.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]44168[/ATTACH]
                      Do you think that is funny?
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

It is a very cold tragic way of thinking.

Comment

Comment

So long as the "self" is the only form of assessment - you cannot hope to mitigate bias. The biased self will always get in the way, no matter how "honest" you think you are being. You need outside resources to assess bias, recognizing that no outside source will be perfect and may well be subject to its own bias. I put my trust in "casting a wide net." I can think of no other way to mitigate my own bias.
                            I'm just curious how MM will answer the questions.

Comment

That quote is indeed correct. Now read it again, Pix. You have once again added meaning to my post and ignored significant aspects, so you are back to talking to your mental caricature.
                              Doubt that Trump will be re-elected or doubt that I am actually going to leave?
                              I am hopeful that Trump will actually not be re-elected, and I would recommend you do not make bet on the latter. But if you wish to, Id be happy to take that bet...
                              BTW - I'm curious to know if you agree with MM's characterization of those media outlets. Do you also rate those outlets as:

Breitbart: Right
                              Mother Jones: Extreme left
                              FOX: Neutral
                              CNN: Extreme left
                              WSJ: Left
                              BBC: Left
                              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-21-2020, 06:43 PM.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Correct. The analogy is simple. The ocean has a 3.5% salinity. I can make a 5 gallon salt water fish tank 3.5% saline. That makes the proportion of the salt/water in my tank the equivalent of the ocean. It doesn't make my fish tank the ocean. Likewise, I would estimate both Trump and Hitler do 95% evil, 5% good, at least publicly. That doesn't make Trump equivalent to Hitler, which is captured in the second part of that paragraph - which you are either ignoring or not understanding.

See my response above. You are asking questions easily derived from the second part of my answer.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Quite a number of people, far richer than you, said the same thing in 2016, are they gone?
                                And I care because...?

If Trump is re-elected, pretty much 100%.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                Why did they say something they would not follow through with?
                                You'll have to ask them.

That depends on HOW you move, Pix.

Fair enough. It wasn't actually a debate - I responded to a post by Sean and MM provided his analysis of those news sites. Since you chimed in on that exchange, I assumed you had your own rating. You don't have to share it if you don't wish to...

Comment