Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I keep hearing conflicting reports... that somebody who has the antibodies is immune - and others say "there's no proof they can't get infected again"...... I heard one of the female doctors being interviewed on this very same thing saying "we just don't know".
    It's confusing. I hear that there are supposedly two kinds of people -- a person who is born immune and those who become immune after they contract it. However, the latter apparently can contract it again even if they develop antibodies. From the story FF linked to, they seem to imply the former can't catch it or spread it, otherwise, what would be the logic in the certification if they could still carry it and spread it? Of course, the story I read about the first group could have been asymptomatic carriers who have delayed sickness that they didn't know about at the time.
    Last edited by seanD; 04-21-2020, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• More world changing input from the Aussies...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Right, it's the old "I don't dispute the facts, I just don't like how they're presented" canard.
        No. It's the "I don't like how facts are selectively chosen to intentionally paint a false picture."

Fact: The rabbit population on my property has significantly declined in the past two months.
        Fact: My neighbor has two new cats as of two months ago.

Claim: There has been a significant reduction in the rabbit population at the Carpe property since the neighbor acquired two new cats.

The claim is perfectly true. The casual reader, however, will walk away thinking the drop in rabbit population is somehow related to the two new cats. In point of fact, the two new cats are indoor cats and the drop in rabbit population is due to an increase in the local fox population, especially the family of foxes that now live in a den just down the road. But if you don't take time to dig into the structure of the sentence, you walk away with the wrong impression.

Breitbart does things like this regularly. So does Mother Jones. Facts are selectively picked out, and then woven together to support a desired claim. The further you go right or left in the media, the more it happens. You should be familiar with this dynamic, MM, and I understand why you like them. You do this to my posts frequently.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
          More world changing input from the Aussies...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            No. It's the "I don't like how facts are selectively chosen to intentionally paint a false picture."
            Or to put it another way, "I don't dispute the facts, I just don't like how they're presented."

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Fact: The rabbit population on my property has significantly declined in the past two months.
              Fact: My neighbor has two new cats as of two months ago.

Claim: There has been a significant reduction in the rabbit population at the Carpe property since the neighbor acquired two new cats.

The claim is perfectly true. The casual reader, however, will walk away thinking the drop in rabbit population is somehow related to the two new cats. In point of fact, the two new cats are indoor cats and the drop in rabbit population is due to an increase in the local fox population, especially the family of foxes that now live in a den just down the road. But if you don't take time to dig into the structure of the sentence, you walk away with the wrong impression.

Breitbart does things like this regularly. So does Mother Jones. Facts are selectively picked out, and then woven together to support a desired claim. The further you go right or left in the media, the more it happens. You should be familiar with this dynamic, MM, and I understand why you like them. You do this to my posts frequently.
              What MSM news source DOESN'T do that? I know, the ones you like and prefer *insert the ones you'll probably list and approve of in 3...2...

They all do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Or to put it another way, "I don't dispute the facts, I just don't like how they're presented."

Nope. And if you still don't get it after Carpe explained it, I am afraid it says something about your willingness or ability to understand rather basic and important differences.

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                  So those who are immune are also excluded from being carriers as well? I haven't been keeping track of the subject. But from what I understand, and I read about this when it all began, that there are possibly those who are immune but can still be carriers.

Comment

I keep hearing conflicting reports... that somebody who has the antibodies is immune - and others say "there's no proof they can't get infected again"...... I heard one of the female doctors being interviewed on this very same thing saying "we just don't know".
                    At the current time, no one actually knows for sure. There are a lot of unknowns.

1) can you get it again if you had it

2) can you get it again if you didn't have it 'enough' - e.g. is a mild case enough to become immune

3) If you become immune, how long does immunity last - do you need 'boosters', and how often.

4) can your antibodies help someone else if you've had it (this one seems to be headed to 'yes')

5) is this a virus that we can create a vaccine for that doesn't do more harm than good

6) do antibodies/what kind of antibodies in your blood mean you are immune

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      At the current time, no one actually knows for sure. There are a lot of unknowns.

1) can you get it again if you had it

2) can you get it again if you didn't have it 'enough' - e.g. is a mild case enough to become immune

3) If you become immune, how long does immunity last - do you need 'boosters', and how often.

4) can your antibodies help someone else if you've had it (this one seems to be headed to 'yes')

5) is this a virus that we can create a vaccine for that doesn't do more harm than good

6) do antibodies/what kind of antibodies in your blood mean you are immune

Jim
                      Yes sir, that's what I seem to keep seeing.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes sir, that's what I seem to keep seeing.
                        Yeah, so the bottom line anyone claiming to know the answers to these questions and exactly what we should do as a consequence of that knowledge should probably be ignored.

especially those that want to proceed as if we know things are 'safe' ...
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

You misunderstood my post, Pix. The optimism I expressed was not about Trump - it was a (usually pointless) optimism about you - that you would (eventually) let go of the caricature you have created in your own mind and actually address the arguments I have made as they were made.

This is false (though I'm sure you won't accept that). As previously noted, no person is 100% evil. It is true, however, that Trump does far more that I find inappropriate, offensive, dangerous, and immoral than he does that I find appropriate, inoffensive, beneficial, and moral - hence my 95/5 comment earlier. And I draw a clear line between "policy-related" things and "ethics-related" things (thought there can be an overlap).

And, for the record, if someone actually asked me to compare Trump to Hitler, I would put Hitler closer to "pure evil" than Trump. In terms of balance of good/evil they are pretty close to at par, but in terms of degree of evil, they aren't even close. Trump lies regularly. Hitler murdered. Both are repugnant. But they do not even begin to compare in terms of "degree of evil," IMO.

The one referred to above.

Again - most of this is based on the caricature you have created. You're not about to let it go, as far as I can tell, so I really have no further response. You should take this up with the caricature you have created.
                          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-21-2020, 02:21 PM.
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by seanD View Post
                            What MSM news source DOESN'T do that? I know, the ones you like and prefer *insert the ones you'll probably list and approve of in 3...2...

They all do that.
                            Well...yes and no. It is more a matter of degree. When I read more centrist news sources, the work I have to do to weed out that kind of bias is significantly less. So Breitbart (far right) and Mother Jones (far left) I don't waste time on. Fox (right) and CNN (left) I am wary of but read/use. WSJ and BBC are go-to sources. I'm sure you get the idea.

Comment

• Anybody who thinks there are any meaningful similarities between Donald Trump and Adolf Hitler are abjectly ignorant of history and/or lack the capacity to think rationally.

Comment

Well...yes and no. It is more a matter of degree. When I read more centrist news sources, the work I have to do to weed out that kind of bias is significantly less. So Breitbart (far right) and Mother Jones (far left) I don't waste time on. Fox (right) and CNN (left) I am wary of but read/use. WSJ and BBC are go-to sources. I'm sure you get the idea.
                                Breitbart: Right
                                Mother Jones: Extreme left
                                FOX: Neutral
                                CNN: Extreme left
                                WSJ: Left
                                BBC: Left

Comment