Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    I'm sure you don't, Pix. After all - he's "your man" and he gets defended for pretty much everything he does. And I have no clue what the golf trips have to do with this. You just seem to regularly toss in nonsequitors to any conversation.
    Sweet irony, you only care because you hate him. Is it egotistical? Sure, is it something to freak out over? No.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I'm in full favor of eliminating the concept of "career politician" from the US. Let's restore the concept that it's a public service by making politics a low-paying part-time job, and strict term limits for every office. Nobody should ever be able to get rich by being a politician.
      Low-paying and part-time I don't agree with. If you want to give someone great responsibility - you should be willing to pay them correspondingly. Indeed, I'd rather they had the SAME work schedule as the rest of us - with limited time off.

But strict term limits I 100% agree with. I've long proposed 2 terms in the Senate and 6 terms in the House (12 years total).
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
        On the surface, I'd agree with you about it's 'importance' if there was no actually delay in issuing the checks required to put his signature on them.

But this is a campaign year, and that is free advertising for the republican candidate at the federal government and taxpayers expense.

(Or maybe not if it backfires like it should).
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Sweet irony, you only care because you hate him.
          No. I care...AND I dislike him in the extreme. He's a vile man doing great harm.

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Is it egotistical? Sure, is it something to freak out over? No.
          It's more than egotistical. It's using the power of his office and apparatus of government for personal and political gain (again). It should be added to the rest of his list of inappropriate behavior and played over and over again until 11/3.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

No. I care...AND I dislike him in the extreme. He's a vile man doing great harm.
            As far as I can tell, he has done no more or worse harm than other presidents have. Again, your hatred colors your opinions.

It's more than egotistical. It's using the power of his office and apparatus of government for personal and political gain (again). It should be added to the rest of his list of inappropriate behavior and played over and over again until 11/3.
            Why do you suppose that most presidents, win re-election? Could it be because they have tons of free advertising already, thanks to their position?
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              More hypocrisy.
              I can see you have no interest in 'being friends'. Just a ploy I guess. A little surprising - I actually had thought you would not sink that low, but unfortunately par for this course.

From this point I will consider any and all gestures from you that appear to be conciliatory as ploys with a pending insult or 'sucker punch' just around the corner.

This is your legacy, but unfortunately crossing this boundary is generally almost impossible to undo.
              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-16-2020, 11:18 AM.
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• pix - no. And you know it. He is demanding his name on the checks. He clearly believes that is in HIS best interests. It certainly serves not one other person on the face of the Earth to have that signature there. And that pretty much says all that needs to be said. If you are not honest enough to admit this is a purely self serving move with an eye to the election (Who's signature was on your relief check - vote for him!) then that is your problem, not mine.
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  As far as I can tell, he has done no more or worse harm than other presidents have. Again, your hatred colors your opinions.
                  No - my policy preferences and what a value morally color my opinions. I do not have my positions because I dislike Trump. I dislike Trump because he violates most of my policy and moral positions. The former we can all disagree on. The latter we (the people of the U.S.) usually tend to agree on, but the right has set aside all concerns about morality so they can get their desired policies.

Why do you suppose that most presidents, win re-election?
                  There are a variety of reasons for this.

Could it be because they have tons of free advertising already, thanks to their position?
                  What occurs naturally as a function of one's position is not comparable to explicitly using the powers of one's office and the tools of government to achieve free campaign advertising. Trump cannot help being seen if he participates in virus briefings. He CAN control whether or not he turns those briefings into campaign rallies and whether or not he requests (or permits) his name to be put on the checks being issued by the IRS.

Comment

Low-paying and part-time I don't agree with. If you want to give someone great responsibility - you should be willing to pay them correspondingly.
                    I base this on the concept of states with a bi-annual legislature that only meet once every two years. It forces them to prioritize and keeps them from looking for "busy work" and implementing stuff just because they have the time to do it. Obviously allowances have to be made for emergency sessions, but I don't see why a variation of this could not be used for the Federal government. Perhaps limit Congressional sessions to three-months a year and refocus the structure of the US on state sovereignty.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                      I can see you have no interest in 'being friends'.
                      Any time you're ready, Jim -- just drop the constant "everybody's out to get me" and the constant "us and them" mentality.

Just a ploy I guess. Not surprising, but par for the course.
                      Like that ^ crap.

From this point I will consider any and all gestures that appear to be conciliatory as ploys....
                      From THIS point? Jim, that's all you do! And it's ALWAYS "other people" -- NEVER you.

with a pending insult or 'sucker punch' just around the corner.

This is your legacy, but unfortunately crossing this boundary is generally almost impossible to undo.
                      And there ya have it -- EVER the victim, and it's ALWAYS "the other guy".
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I base this on the concept of states with a bi-annual legislature that only meet once every two years. It forces them to prioritize and keeps them from looking for "busy work" and implementing stuff just because they have the time to do it. Obviously allowances have to be made for emergency sessions, but I don't see why a variation of this could not be used for the Federal government. Perhaps limit Congressional sessions to three-months a year and refocus the structure of the US on state sovereignty.
                        If someone is going to do the job, I prefer that they be on the job and not splitting their attention between "how do I pay the bills" and "the needs of the country/state." Small states (like Vermont) can get away with part-time legislatures. Large states generally cannot. Scale matters.

Comment

If someone is going to do the job, I prefer that they be on the job and not splitting their attention between "how do I pay the bills" and "the needs of the country/state."
                          I think it would do wonders for economic policy if politicians did have to give thought to "how do I pay the bills". Maybe if a tax increase hit them as hard as it hit us then they would be a lot less eager to raise taxes.

Comment

If someone is going to do the job, I prefer that they be on the job and not splitting their attention between "how do I pay the bills" and "the needs of the country/state."
                            People who have the money to run for office - after all, money is still the mother's milk of politics - will have people to oversee their affairs while they serve in congress or wherever.

Small states (like Vermont) can get away with part-time legislatures. Large states generally cannot. Scale matters.
                            So, what's your take on people going to Washington and ending up filthy rich at the taxpayers' expense?
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think it would do wonders for economic policy if politicians did have to give thought to "how do I pay the bills". Maybe if a tax increase hit them as hard as it hit us then they would be a lot less eager to raise taxes.
                              They will - in 12 years....

And if they are being paid for work, they should be equally subject to taxes. It doesn't matter that this work is for the government.

What I WOULD advocate for is an "eat your own dog food" policy so that all politicians have to face the full consequences of the laws they enact. And I think no body should be able to vote for its own pay raise. Salaries should be associated with the mean or median income in the U.S.

Comment

They will - in 12 years....

And if they are being paid for work, they should be equally subject to taxes. It doesn't matter that this work is for the government.

What I WOULD advocate for is an "eat your own dog food" policy so that all politicians have to face the full consequences of the laws they enact. And I think no body should be able to vote for its own pay raise. Salaries should be associated with the mean or median income in the U.S.
                                A tax increase is a lot easier to stomach when you can vote in your own pay raise to compensate. Although I'm not sure what the solution is for that one. If it was left up to the voters, then politicians would never get a pay increase. Perhaps politician pay should be tied in some way to the economy as an automatic mechanism.

Comment