Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Ouch! Roy has been out nitpicked!
      If only she were correct...
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Everyone except Trump and quite a few scientifically illiterate Repubs. knows that as soon as restrictions are relaxed, the virus will spread more quickly again. This is why talk about being over the peak is so dangerous. You have to have major surveillance and prophylactic measures in place, and new codes of behaviour in force, before you resume the new normal. A vaccine is still a long way off.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I suppose that's one way to spin it.

Another way is that Trump was right.

Still another is that the models and experts have been wrong this whole time, and this thing was never going to get as bad as originally predicted
          You will be delighted to know that Trump is desperate to enrol your services (along with your fellow Americans) in a little social experiment, to test your ideas. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            This is very hopeful:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/healt...ing/index.html

Source: above

On Friday, Dr. Mangala Narasimhan received an urgent call. A man in his 40s with Covid-19 was in a dire situation, and her colleague wanted her to come the intensive care unit at Long Island Jewish Hospital to see if he needed to be put on life support.

Before I come over there, Narasimhan told the other doctor, try turning the patient over onto his stomach and see if that helps. Narasimhan didn't need to go the ICU. The flip worked.
            Doctors are finding that placing the sickest coronavirus patients on their stomachs -- called prone positioning - helps increase the amount of oxygen that's getting to their lungs.

"We're saving lives with this, one hundred percent," said Narasimhan, the regional director for critical care at Northwell Health, which owns 23 hospitals in New York. "It's such a simple thing to do, and we've seen remarkable improvement. We can see it for every single patient."

© Copyright Original Source

If we -- "moderns" -- were not so conditioned to jump to drugs and machinery, this probably would have been discovered weeks or months ago. It's as simple as, "Say, I wonder what would happen if we..."
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• I keep thinking we might be on a down-slope, but U.S cases and U.S. deaths are back on the ascent (i.e., day-to-day increasing) for the past two days. Not only that, but we had more new cases reported yesterday than the next seven countries combined, including Spain, UK, France, Turkey, Russia, Brazil, and Italy. Combined, they have a population that is more than double that of the U.S., so the "they have a smaller population" argument kind of falls flat. Could it be the tests? The U.S has done 9,845 tests per million citizens and these countries have collectively done 6,717 tests per million citizens. So their testing is 68.2% of ours. Testing could be a factor. Unfortunately, I did not trap the day-to-day testing data, so I'll look at that tonight. Since they have been gaining on us, I suspect their day-to-day testing is now higher than ours, which would put the testing argument to bed too.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                I keep thinking ....
                Don't ever stop.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I keep thinking we might be on a down-slope, but U.S cases and U.S. deaths are back on the ascent (i.e., day-to-day increasing) for the past two days. Not only that, but we had more new cases reported yesterday than the next seven countries combined, including Spain, UK, France, Turkey, Russia, Brazil, and Italy. Combined, they have a population that is more than double that of the U.S., so the "they have a smaller population" argument kind of falls flat. Could it be the tests? The U.S has done 9,845 tests per million citizens and these countries have collectively done 6,717 tests per million citizens. So their testing is 68.2% of ours.
                  But their total testing is more than the US, and Brazil skews the numbers a lot.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

In a similar vein, he also decided that his name had to be on all of the stimulus checks, something that is apparently unprecedented. He doesn't even have signing authority because the desire is for such payments to be nonpartisan.

This is such a blatant campaign move, it's unbelievable. I hope Americans are suitably outraged. I try to imagine the reaction from the right if Obama had done this for the 2009 stimulus and it is hard to imagine them NOT losing their minds...
                    Bad Orange Man gets an eye-roll and SMH from me, but no "outrage."
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

No, I've said I don't understand how Christians can support certain things Trump is doing or has done.
                      I hereby do solemnly swear (or affirm), freely and without any coercion, mental reservation or purpose of evasion, that I do not support certain things Trump is doing or has done.

Are we friends now?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                        Of course not. Why would Donald Trump be subject to the standards all other presidents have been held to.
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                          I'm a 'heathen' so my opinion is of little value with regards to what I do or do not agree with, but I have found this whole sorry episode over the last 3+ years to be mildly confusing.

Originally, Trump was the result of 'least worst option' as far as many people on here were concerned - the SCOTUS being their key issue ('Hillary isn't POTUS, SCOTUS isn't Hillary's'). I do actually understand the reasoning for that- though naturally I disagree with the values concerned in wishing it.

What I don't understand is the same people who voted Trump as the least worst option have spent the last 3+ years defending him over actions that they clearly would have jumped all over an ideological political opponent for - evidenced by the anger over many of Obama's actions during his tenure which don't reach anywhere near the level of Trump's.

There has been some half-hearted 'I wish he wouldn't tweet so much/he can be a jack-ass sometimes' admissions, but I would have thought that voting him in to score a SCOTUS position doesn't stop them from then hold him to account for actions outside of that. I'd have actually pictured more posts such as that from Ox over the last 3+ years instead.
                          This has been addressed many times, but I'll have another go:

In the Primaries, my picks were Lyin' Ted Cruz and Carly "Look at that face!" Fiorina. I despised Bad Orange Man.

But Bad Orange Man won the nomination.

In the General, it was not so much a "least worst" scenario, as (to me) that suggests several (i.e. more than two) viable candidates from which to choose. Practically speaking, the U.S. is a *2* party system.

SCOTUS gets most of the mentions, but to most Evangelicals (if there is a difference between "Evangelical" and "evangelical," I don't know what it is) the primary issue is abortion. Many of us would never ever vote for a pro-choice candidate under any circumstances. So the choice was not between Bad Orange Man and Crooked Hil, it was between Bad Orange Man and leaving the POTUS slot blank.

I prayed about the matter at length, and decided at literally the last moment, while in the booth, to vote for Bad Orange Man. Honestly, one thing that motivated me was the literally crazy reaction and opposition he evoked from the media and the Swamp.

Since his coronation, there is very little that he's done that has bothered me. The things he *says* are all over the place. I frankly do not find them as troubling as many do, but a bit better filtering would be nice.

I defend him because I see that most of his opposition is crazed, perverse, ignorant, dishonest. As long as I see him getting more opposition than he deserves, I'll give him more defense than he deserves.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Of course not. Why would Donald Trump be subject to the standards all other presidents have been held to.
                            pen and phone.jpeg

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                              I'm not surprised, Norrin.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                I hereby do solemnly swear (or affirm), freely and without any coercion, mental reservation or purpose of evasion, that I do not support certain things Trump is doing or has done.

Are we friends now?
                                Are you wanting to be friends?

Assuming you do, understand you will not be able to count on my support when you demean others on this board.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment