Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Coronavirus Outbreak...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of like you are ignoring the large cities of South Korea and Japan.

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      Kind of like you are ignoring the large cities of South Korea and Japan.
      The government and people of SK and Japan are not the same.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Last edited by Zara; 04-14-2020, 11:56 PM.

Comment

• If he is ignoring it, it's because like almost all the numbers you come up with, it's completely wrong.

NJ has 33% of the cases NY has, not 10%. If you compensate for NY having a greater population than NJ, NJ has 75% of the cases/million that NY has.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            The one piece of good news I can see is that new infections have dropped five days in a row, from 34.3K on Friday to 24.2K (so far) today. Hopefully the predictions will be right and the deaths will begin to follow suit in the coming days. For those tracking, we have lost more people in the last 10 days than we lose in an entire mild flu season. Within the next 5-10 days we will likely have lost as many people in the last month as the entire average flu season - and that's WITH all the efforts at mitigation.
            Alas, I fear this is just the holiday effect - the number of new cases dropped because people weren't at work, just as they dropped temporarily the previous weekend but [url=https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/]rose again during the week. The numbers may be climbing again.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Still worth mentioning that New York and New Jersey account for 50% of those numbers. Cut them out of the equation, and the US looks pretty good overall.
              Not really. If Louisiana, Massachusetts and Connecticut were countries they'd all be in the top 10 for cases/million. The UK hasn't been very effective, but is still doing better than Colorado, Georgia, Washington, Maryland, Illinois, Delaware, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Washington DC and Rhode Island. The US state with the lowest infection rate is still doing worse than Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Russia or Japan.

The only way to believe the US "looks pretty good overall" is to not do any comparisons.

Comment

• USA: 329,630,405

Germany: 83,149,300
                France: 67,076,000
                Italy: 60,238,522
                Spain: 47,100,396

Twice the population of Germany, France, Italy and Spain: 515,128,436

The US population isn't even close to twice the size of just those four countries, let alone the whole of western Europe.

If carp is ignoring LPOT's numbers, it's because they're invariably wrong.

(figures from here, though all other sources give the same basic result).

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
                  What is the population of Western Europe again?
                  190 million range. According to Google.

Nobody cares.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    If he is ignoring it, it's because like almost all the numbers you come up with, it's completely wrong.

NJ has 33% of the cases NY has, not 10%. If you compensate for NY having a greater population than NJ, NJ has 75% of the cases/million that NY has.
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• How are preparations going for the unlock?

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        USA: 329,630,405

Germany: 83,149,300
                        France: 67,076,000
                        Italy: 60,238,522
                        Spain: 47,100,396

Twice the population of Germany, France, Italy and Spain: 515,128,436

The US population isn't even close to twice the size of just those four countries, let alone the whole of western Europe.

If carp is ignoring LPOT's numbers, it's because they're invariably wrong.

(figures from here, though all other sources give the same basic result).
                        Spain and Italy is counted as part of Southern Europe, not Western Europe, Mr Nitpicker. So when we count what Western Europe actually is
                        Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-15-2020, 07:42 AM.
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Not to be confused with the western Europe that has similar or better standards of living than the US - which is considerably more people than the US. Not really sure what your point is, likely about nothing.

Meanwhile, a large proportion of those people have little respect for you (you're a nut) or the retard you foisted onto the world stage (a conman). We get it, he's a bully, bullies are dangerous. A pity people don't tend to respect bullies, they may fear them - but what's that worth in the eyes of anything that matters.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
                              Not to be confused with the western Europe that has equal or better standards of living than the US - which is considerably more people than the US. Not really sure what your point is, likely about nothing.
                              Meanwhile, a large proportion of those people have little respect for you (you're a nut) or the retard you foisted onto the world stage (a conman). We get it, he's a bully, bullies are dangerous. A pity people don't tend to respect bullies, they may fear them - but what's that worth in the eyes of anything that matters.
                              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 04-15-2020, 08:39 AM.
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                                I had to chuckle at this. So suddenly NY and NJ are not part of the U.S. because you find their numbers inconvenient?
                                Of course I'm not saying they're not part of the US, you idiot. What I am saying is that sometimes isolated outliers can throw off the numbers when you're trying to make a general accounting. If 48 states are doing fine, but two states have disproportionately high numbers, then the problem is in those states and not with the US response overall.

Of course I suspect I'm explaining something to you that you already understand, and you're just feigning confusion to troll us.
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment