Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bolten says trump wanted the aid frozen until he had answers to inquires sought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    The implication is, of course, that he will be in violation of the law.

Suppose it's true that his manuscript does contain classified and top secret information. Is it not the duty of the relevant agencies to inform him and give him the opportunity to rectify the matter? That can not be reasonably construed as a threat.
    If the implication, of course, is that Bolton would be in violation of federal law then the letter is saying, by implication, that publishing the material without change will make Bolton liable for legal suits and punishment.

That is, of course, a legal threat, meaning that the headline is accurate. Whether it's a justified threat of legal action or not was not at issue.

--Sam
    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      If the implication, of course, is that Bolton would be in violation of federal law then the letter is saying, by implication, that publishing the material without change will make Bolton liable for legal suits and punishment.

That is, of course, a legal threat, meaning that the headline is accurate. Whether it's a justified threat of legal action or not was not at issue.

--Sam
      Informing someone of the consequences if they break the law is not a threat.

Again, if the manuscript contains classified information, is it not the relevant agency's duty to inform Bolton of this fact?

And anyway, the leak happened AFTER Bolton received the letter, which upends your preferred narrative.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Good catch.

So the leak happened after Bolton received the letter. Interesting. Was this Bolton's way of retaliating?
        very interesting is this Bolton or the Democrats doing to the White house what they falsely accuse Trump of doing the the Ukraine? more of Saul Alinsky's tactics?

Comment

• CNN claimed that there was a "formal threat". This is blatantly false, and trying to spin the contents of the letter as an implied threat doesn't change anything, Wormtongues.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Informing someone of the consequences if they break the law is not a threat.

Again, if the manuscript contains classified information, is it not the relevant agency's duty to inform Bolton of this fact?

And anyway, the leak happened AFTER Bolton received the letter, which upends your preferred narrative.
            I haven't proposed any narrative regarding the WH letter and, yes, saying "If you publish this as is, there are legal punishments" is a threat.

"Put down the gun or I'll shoot!" is a threat, whether it comes from an officer speaking to a burglar or a burglar speaking to an officer -- one is a justifiable threat and the other not.

Failure or refusal to acknowledge such an obvious point presents evidence of ulterior motive.

--Sam
            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Saying, essentially, "If you publish this classified information then you will be in violation of federal law and your non-disclosure agreement" is not a threat, it's simply stating a fact.

And another hole in this fake news story: the letter didn't even come from the White House, it came from the National Security Council.

Basically, the whole "Trump is threatening Bolton!" narrative is in shambles at this point.

Comment

Saying, essentially, "If you publish this classified information then you will be in violation of federal law and your non-disclosure agreement" is not a threat, it's simply stating a fact.

And another hole in this fake news story: the letter didn't even come from the White House, it came from the National Security Council.

Basically, the whole "Trump is threatening Bolton!" narrative is in shambles at this point.
                But as we all know, it's just a continuation of the Trump administrations attempt to cover up any and all evidence. Bolton knows what would be classified and what not to put in the book which he knows would have to go to the NSC for review before it could be published. If they should find anything in there thats classified, they could surely detect and edit it out in no time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  I haven't proposed any narrative regarding the WH letter and, yes, saying "If you publish this as is, there are legal punishments" is a threat.

"Put down the gun or I'll shoot!" is a threat, whether it comes from an officer speaking to a burglar or a burglar speaking to an officer -- one is a justifiable threat and the other not.

Failure or refusal to acknowledge such an obvious point presents evidence of ulterior motive.

--Sam
                  Sam LogicTM it means Trump threatened to shoot every American.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Again, here is the *definition* of threat

a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.

It *exactly* describes "If you publish this classified information then you will be in violation of federal law and your non-disclosure agreement"

Shocking, or maybe not so, that Trumpers want to quibble over the use of that specific word rather than anything more substantive.

Comment

• You're stretching the definition of "threat" to the point that the word almost becomes meaningless. The way you're attempting to use it, telling someone "If you don't wear a seatbelt, you could die in a car accident" is a threat.

Comment

You're stretching the definition of "threat" to the point that the word almost becomes meaningless. The way you're attempting to use it, telling someone "If you don't wear a seatbelt, you could die in a car accident" is a threat.
                        Take it up with Google.

Comment

Interesting interview with John Bolton who unapologetically says he would be willing to lie in order to defend the "truth".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...me_continue=86
                          Unlike Trump's multiple lying this example is highly qualified by exceptional circumstances. The fact is that Bolton has President Trump directly tied to the withholding of funds to Ukraine, i.e. the firsthand account of the link between the aid and investigations. This warrants direct cross examination in the Senate trial.

Comment

• Again, we don't know what Bolton actually said. This is all based on what the disreputable New York Times says that anonymous sources claim the draft manuscript says.

But let's suppose it's true, that this was an idea floated by Trump in a high level meeting with Bolton. So what? By all accounts, it was never put into action because nobody down the chain of command was ever given a direct order to that end. Certainly nobody in the Ukraine government was given such an ultimatum. In fact, when Mr. Sondland asked for clarification, he was clearly told "no quid pro quo". And then, of course, there's the phone call transcript which doesn't mention releasing aid in exchange for the investigations. For that matter, Trump didn't even mention withholding aid.

So whatever Trump might have told Bolton behind closed doors doesn't change a single fact of the case.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                              Take it up with Google.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

You're stretching the definition of "threat" to the point that the word almost becomes meaningless. The way you're attempting to use it, telling someone "If you don't wear a seatbelt, you could die in a car accident" is a threat.
                                You are being stubborn and simply disingenuous. It was in fact a threat. They may have theoretically had grounds to issue it, but it was a threat nonetheless.
                                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment