Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

If Texas turns blue in 2020 should the Democrats gerrymander?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Nope, I watched the hearings myself.
    And what exactly did you see that made it a sham process?

That, sir, is "spin".
    Okay then, in what sense was the House investigation a sham.

They'll push for whatever they think will put or keep them in power, Jim.
    That's doesn't matter, so long as doing what keeps them in power is what we want them to do. But redistricting properly, by a neutral commission, is what we want them to do. Does the GOP want to do that?

Yeah, well, the problem with that is that it is the United STATES of America, and "states' rights" and all that.... I'm still thinking on that one. It does seem there should be some consistency in NATIONAL elections.
    Right, the UNITED states. The U.S. Congress, and therefore state elections, effect us all, effect the whole country, therefore the guidelines for the election process should be the same everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      And what exactly did you see that made it a sham process?
      You'd have to come out of the bubble to listen.

Okay then, in what sense was the House investigation a sham.
      We've been through that over and over - nothing will convince you, because you want Trump gone no matter what.

That's doesn't matter, so long as doing what keeps them in power is what we want them to do. But redistricting properly, by a neutral commission, is what we want them to do. Does the GOP want to do that?
      See, here's the problem, Jim... The Democrats could tell you that poop cookies were chocolate chip, and you'd eat them. I'm much more skeptical of anything ANY politician tells me.

Right, the UNITED states. The U.S. Congress, and therefore state elections, effect us all, effect the whole country, therefore the guidelines for the election process should be the same everywhere.
      Naw, I think states should be allowed to run their states the way they want to without government interference, but I think NATIONAL elections are different.

The Tenth Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You'd have to come out of the bubble to listen.

We've been through that over and over - nothing will convince you, because you want Trump gone no matter what.

See, here's the problem, Jim... The Democrats could tell you that poop cookies were chocolate chip, and you'd eat them. I'm much more skeptical of anything ANY politician tells me.

Naw, I think states should be allowed to run their states the way they want to without government interference, but I think NATIONAL elections are different.

The Tenth Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
        Like with the second amendment, states rights aren't unlimited. With respect to elections, Article 1 Section 4 states: The U.S.Congress may at any time by law make or alter such (state) reulations.

Comment

Like with the second amendment, states rights aren't unlimited.
          Never said they were, Jim.

With respect to elections, Article 1 Section 4 states: The U.S.Congress may at any time by law make or alter such (state) reulations.
          Yes, because the Congress does such a MARVELOUS job of bipartisan legislation.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Move all the liberals to Austin, then nuke it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Move all the liberals to Austin, then nuke it.
              We have an AMAZING State Capital. Maybe the Nude Bomb?

Comment

We have an AMAZING State Capital. Maybe the Nude Bomb?
                We can send them to Dyess and than build a wall around it. Win-win for everyone.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                  We can send them to Dyess and than build a wall around it. Win-win for everyone.
                  Been a LONG time since I've been to Dyess. My Dad was there when it was still called Abilene Air Force Base.

(in fact, there is reason to believe that's where my little life began 9 months before I was born )

Comment

CP, you know in your heart that Trump has brought shame on the office and the country by his behavior before and after the election. Is it so hard to believe that we share that view?

But we've already done redistricting reform in multiple states so you can see the effects for yourself. "Trust, but verify." (Or "Distrust, but inspect" if you want to be cynical ) Look at how it has impacted the states who have rolled it out and see if it looks like its working as advertised.

One important but understated downside of gerrymandering is it promotes the most extreme voices (on either side) since you are almost certain to win the general election but can realistically lose a primary. So you go as extreme as you can to discourage anyone from challenging you. RR would help reduce the polarization in this country by rewarding those who can appeal to all voters in their district, not just the safe 55%.

Comment

Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
                      CP, you know in your heart that Trump has brought shame on the office and the country by his behavior before and after the election. Is it so hard to believe that we share that view?
                      As I have stated many times, there are MANY things Trump has done of which I am not proud. Are you going somewhere with this?

But we've already done redistricting reform in multiple states so you can see the effects for yourself. "Trust, but verify." (Or "Distrust, but inspect" if you want to be cynical ) Look at how it has impacted the states who have rolled it out and see if it looks like its working as advertised.
                      So.... you're getting to your point?

One important but understated downside of gerrymandering is it promotes the most extreme voices (on either side) since you are almost certain to win the general election but can realistically lose a primary. So you go as extreme as you can to discourage anyone from challenging you. RR would help reduce the polarization in this country by rewarding those who can appeal to all voters in their district, not just the safe 55%.
                      Perhaps you should demonstrate where I ever defended or supported redistricting or gerrymandering.

Get back to me on that, k? Actual quotes using the quote function a plus!!!

Comment

Been a LONG time since I've been to Dyess. My Dad was there when it was still called Abilene Air Force Base.

(in fact, there is reason to believe that's where my little life began 9 months before I was born )
                        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

As I have stated many times, there are MANY things Trump has done of which I am not proud. Are you going somewhere with this?

So.... you're getting to your point?

Perhaps you should demonstrate where I ever defended or supported redistricting or gerrymandering.

Get back to me on that, k? Actual quotes using the quote function a plus!!!
                          You're supporting gerrymandering right now by your feigned cynicism that anything can be done about it.

Comment

You're supporting gerrymandering right now by your feigned cynicism that anything can be done about it.
                            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

That's beyond goofy..... I'm AGAINST gerrymandering, and in my real job, I've always been involved in crisis management, problem resolution and intervention, but sometimes you have to look at a problem and recognize "under the current situation", there's no easy fix.

Crying "the sky is falling" is not a fix, Jim.

And you really need to learn the meaning of the word "feigned".... you keep throwing that word in where it doesn't apply at all.

Comment

Did it make it through the base closure process? I haven't even thought about Dyess in AGES.

Comment