Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

World War Three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    And how many drone strikes and special forces raids were carried out?
    *SCREEECH*

That's the sound of some goalposts moving. The point was that *in this high stakes operation* Congress was not notified as would be appropriate (and as Obama did).

I'm not saying we storm the gates over this but at minimum it betrays a troubling attitude towards a co-equal branch of government.
    Last edited by DivineOb; 01-04-2020, 12:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by DivineOb View Post
      *SCREEECH*

That's the sound of some goalposts moving. The point was that *in this high stakes operation* Congress was not notified as would be appropriate (and as Obama did).

I'm not saying we storm the gates over this but at minimum it betrays a troubling attitude towards a co-equal branch of government.
      Did congress vote on the raid?
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

According to this article

"President Obama notified the Gang of Eight in 2011 that he had authorized a raid targeting Osama bin Laden, Republican Mike Rogers said at the time."

Surely you'd agree that that was the highest stakes targeted killing that he authorized and the clearest analog to this recent one.
        The question is, is the president obligated to inform Congress before taking any military action? I know they're trying to stretch this into a formal declaration of war in order to accuse Trump of violating the Constitution, but it isn't.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          The question is, is the president obligated to inform Congress before taking any military action? I know they're trying to stretch this into a formal declaration of war in order to accuse Trump of violating the Constitution, but it isn't.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Military action without congressional approval is no more a good thing under Trump than it was under Obama. Whataboutism is a terrible argument in regards to military action because then it creates a complacency about it.

Comment

• Washington Compost calls Soleimani a "revered military leader". The New York Slimes posts a personal video of Soleimani reciting poetry. cBS ran a report calling him "inspirational" and a "military genius". Journalists across the mainstream media declared that it was an "assassination" with Communist News Network going a step further and declaring it "murder".

Just... wow...
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Washington Compost calls Soleimani a "revered military leader". The New York Slimes posts a personal video of Soleimani reciting poetry. cBS ran a report calling him "inspirational" and a "military genius". Journalists across the mainstream media declared that it was an "assassination" with Communist News Network going a step further and declaring it "murder".

Just... wow...
                I wonder how they would do interviewing the 500 families, of US Troops, killed because of his actions.
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Washington Compost calls Soleimani a "revered military leader". The New York Slimes posts a personal video of Soleimani reciting poetry. cBS ran a report calling him "inspirational" and a "military genius". Journalists across the mainstream media declared that it was an "assassination" with Communist News Network going a step further and declaring it "murder".

Just... wow...
                  I'm not going to go through each one but as far as "military genius" they were quoting his enemies, that's not their opinion. Other than the "murder" one, which I agree is out of line, which of those do you find the most problematic?
                  Last edited by DivineOb; 01-04-2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Did congress vote on the raid?
                    First, acknowledge that Obama *did* inform congress and then we can move on.

Comment

Just... wow...
                      Talk about aid and comfort to the enemy. And they accuse TRUMP of Treason?
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

First, acknowledge that Obama *did* inform congress and then we can move on.
                        Sure, now did he seek approval?
                        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Sure, now did he seek approval?
                          By "seek approval" do you mean did he order the strike without authorization to do so?

Comment

• I wonder if Trump wants to leave Iraq and let Russia build a stronger relationship there?

Comment

• Iran unveils red flag at Mosque warning of severe battle to come

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...amkaran-Mosque
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Iran unveils red flag at Mosque warning of severe battle to come

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...amkaran-Mosque
                                Saw that - and Israel is watching, as well.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment