Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Tired of whispering from the sidelines, eh?
    Wormtongue.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Wormtongue.
      Do you ever find yourself embarrassed by what your online persona has become?
      "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
        No, Mueller was not allowed to share an opinion about whether Trump committed any criminal acts.
        Sure he was. Ken Starr set the precedent, and there is nothing in DOJ rules that would prevent it. The dirty cop would have certainly made Congress' job much easier if he had simply laid out a factual case and then said unequivocally, "The President is guilty of breaking the law." But he didn't. On the contrary, he said that he could not conclude that any crimes were committed and then tried to hedge his bets with his "can not exonerate" nonsense, which is trivially true but only because no prosecutor has the power to exonerate. They either charge with a crime, or they don't. That is the extent of their authority.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Sure he was. Ken Starr set the precedent, and there is nothing in DOJ rules that would prevent it. The dirty cop would have certainly made Congress' job much easier if he had simply laid out a factual case and then said unequivocally, "The President is guilty of breaking the law." But he didn't. On the contrary, he said that he could not conclude that any crimes were committed and then tried to hedge his bets with his "can not exonerate" nonsense, which is trivially true but only because no prosecutor has the power to exonerate. They either charge with a crime, or they don't. That is the extent of their authority.
          Among other differences, Starr was lead of an Independent Counsel, distinct from a Special Counsel and not bound by the same DOJ rules.

--Sam
          "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Tired of whispering from the sidelines, eh?
            Lol,

You guys know I have better things to do these days than pay attention to TWeb, right? I only came to check about the oped because I thought it might have spurred a couple people into self reflection. I doubt you recall out last conversation, but like, I don't need TWeb as a sounding board anymore. I only came back last time because Star mentioned there was a discussion about Portland and I wanted to provide some first hand accounts of a protest there was a thread about.

That thread basically had me write you guys off, as a group. Like, you're fine and I've never had an issue with yw, but I really miss the Rogue from 10 years ago that wasn't a paranoid lunatic because I used to really enjoy his evolution posts and it's a huge shame the guys turned into a nutcase :(

Comment

That's not what the word "adjudicate" means. In this case, Mueller's report stated that because of a DOJ opinion that the President cannot be charged with a crime while in office, the investigation did not proceed to make any judgments as to potential criminal violations stemming from Trump's conduct. As the report noted and Mueller heavily implied in testimony, however, the remedy for that lack of prosecutorial discretion is Congress' ability to impeach and try a President for corrupt acts in office.

Congress fulfills that remedy by drafting articles of impeachment and adjudicating the question of the President's guilt.

--Sam
              I'm going to concede partially as I think I'm right but in a very narrow sense and that isn't how I presented it.
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Yeah, it's not. Adjudicate can simply mean "to judge between", which is what the Senate is charged with doing.
                You're supposed to be irrationally on my side - didn't you get the memo?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Among other differences, Starr was lead of an Independent Counsel, distinct from a Special Counsel and not bound by the same DOJ rules.

--Sam
                  But the fact remains, there are no laws or rules that would prevent a special counsel from presenting his case and plainly stating that the president broke the law, which Mueller, as dirty as he is, tried to do in a roundabout way by declaring, in defiance of the role of a prosecutor, that he wasn't exonerating the President, thereby deliberately implying that he believed Trump to be guilty without having the guts or integrity to directly say so.

Comment

• "Aside from the fact that Mueller was limited by the OLC opinion preventing him from determining that the President had committed a crime and Starr was not, the fact remains."

That's similar to saying "Aside from the fact that Hector has legs and Randy none, there's nothing preventing either from running a marathon."

--Sam

Comment

"Aside from the fact that Mueller was limited by the OLC opinion preventing him from determining that the President had committed a crime and Starr was not, the fact remains."

That's similar to saying "Aside from the fact that Hector has legs and Randy none, there's nothing preventing either from running a marathon."

--Sam
                      You do love your straw man fallacies, don't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                        Lol,

You guys know I have better things to do these days than pay attention to TWeb, right? I only came to check about the oped because I thought it might have spurred a couple people into self reflection. I doubt you recall out last conversation, but like, I don't need TWeb as a sounding board anymore. I only came back last time because Star mentioned there was a discussion about Portland and I wanted to provide some first hand accounts of a protest there was a thread about.

That thread basically had me write you guys off, as a group. Like, you're fine and I've never had an issue with yw, but I really miss the Rogue from 10 years ago that wasn't a paranoid lunatic because I used to really enjoy his evolution posts and it's a huge shame the guys turned into a nutcase :(
                        What's hilarious is that you seem to think you have some unique insight or opinion with which to grace us, when in reality, you're just as ignorant and nutty as our resident liberals.

Comment

What's hilarious is that you seem to think you have some unique insight or opinion with which to grace us, when in reality, you're just as ignorant and nutty as our resident liberals.
                          Lol, oh sweetie, you have no idea

Comment

• Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                            Lol, oh sweetie, you have no idea
                            This suggests that you're even more ignorant and nutty than I suspect.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              You're supposed to be irrationally on my side - didn't you get the memo?
                              I have to give the appearance that we sometimes disagree --- this was a rare opportunity.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This suggests that you're even more ignorant and nutty than I suspect.
                                Get back to me when you can tell the different kinds of leftists apart, you silly old man

Comment