Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Christianity Today Op Ed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but the Christian Post, an online Christian news publication, has published an editorial in support of Trump in response to CT's editorial calling for his removal from office. The MSM studiously ignored it until one of CP's editors (an avowed Never Trumper) announced his resignation in protest. Only then did the MSM become interested.
    Interesting. I don't see you providing much evidence to support your point though.

Given that the majority of white evangelicals support Trump and have done so to a very large extent what would you think was most noteworthy: continual support or a minority group pointing out that this has gone too far and taking the consequences?

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
      Business 101, companies go bankrupt all the time without their founders going personally bankrupt.
      Sure, but money laundering is a crime. Eventually, Trump's tax return will be known, and Deutsche bank will be investigated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Interesting. I don't see you providing much evidence to support your point though.
        What exactly do you want?

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        Given that the majority of white evangelicals support Trump and have done so to a very large extent what would you think was most noteworthy: continual support or a minority group pointing out that this has gone too far and taking the consequences?
        But an avowed Never Trumper (who's bio includes "#NeverTrump") resigning in disagreement was a big story? Consistency isn't your thing is it?
        Last edited by rogue06; 12-25-2019, 06:28 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
          Sure, but money laundering is a crime. Eventually, Trump's tax return will be known, and Deutsche bank will be investigated.
          Considering how thoroughly Trump has been investigated by the Democrats, the MSM and Mueller, the fact that they found no evidence of any crimes being committed makes counting on something like money laundering seem less and less likely.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by little_monkey View Post
            If there was anything there, Obama's IRS would have leaked it.
            Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

What exactly do you want?
              You are making the statements so hopefully you know what can support them. I am only asking you to support them. There was nothing to give us an impression of how the MSM had covered this, what the editorial contained, who the person resigning was, what reasones he gave and the like. Nothing. (And yes we can google ourselves but it would be great if you could at least try to show what you base your statements on)

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              But an avowed Never Trumper (who's bio includes "#NeverTrump") resigning in disagreement was a big story? Consistency isn't your thing is it?
              And thus you tried to avoid my question which I will repeat: "Given that the majority of white evangelicals support Trump and have done so to a very large extent what would you think was most noteworthy: continual support or a minority group pointing out that this has gone too far and taking the consequences?"

Please answer the question.

Even if he is not a Trump supporter it is interesting that he feels the need to leave. If a Trump supporter felt the need to leave CT it would be significant as well. It shows how this conflict among evangelicals is very deeply rooted in many of them and it seems they have great difficulties discussing it on a balanced level.
              Last edited by Charles; 12-25-2019, 06:54 AM.

Comment

• Why are the Trump haters so excited? Soon, the new cycle will move on. The only significant outcomes will be 'elite' evangelicals outing themselves and losing support, and CT becoming more irrelevant (together with National Review).

Comment

I see wormtongue is back.
                  All the wormtongues are back for election season. Starlight, Juvenal, Sam, we're just missing carped.

Comment

Why are the Trump haters so excited? Soon, the new cycle will move on. The only significant outcomes will be 'elite' evangelicals outing themselves and losing support, and CT becoming more irrelevant (together with National Review).
                    This is exiting no matter what opinion you hold on Trump. And what do you base your statement on? So far it seems things are moving in the other direction:

Perhaps a little early to predict the outcome or what do you have to support your claim?

Comment

Здравствуйте.
                      Прощай

Comment

Perhaps a little early to predict the outcome or what do you have to support your claim?
                        All those outlets and figures that claimed to be conservative and came out as NeverTrumpers lost so many viewers and supporters (including National Review), many of them had to pretend to jump on the Trump Train (eg Ben Shapiro, Glenn Beck, Charlie Kirk, Erick Erickson, National Review).

Many such cases!

Last edited by demi-conservative; 12-25-2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

You are making the statements so hopefully you know what can support them. I am only asking you to support them. There was nothing to give us an impression of how the MSM had covered this, what the editorial contained, who the person resigning was, what reasones he gave and the like. Nothing. (And yes we can google ourselves but it would be great if you could at least try to show what you base your statements on)

And thus you tried to avoid my question which I will repeat: "Given that the majority of white evangelicals support Trump and have done so to a very large extent what would you think was most noteworthy: continual support or a minority group pointing out that this has gone too far and taking the consequences?"

Please answer the question.

Even if he is not a Trump supporter it is interesting that he feels the need to leave. If a Trump supporter felt the need to leave CT it would be significant as well. It shows how this conflict among evangelicals is very deeply rooted in many of them and it seems they have great difficulties discussing it on a balanced level.
                          I realize that as little jimmy would put it, that you aren't the brightest bulb in the socket so I'll write real slowly.

1. What part do you want supported? Try being clear for once.

b) By your own criteria why did the MSM only cover the story when an avowed Never Trumper resigned? If a Christian publication supporting Trump isn't news then how is a Never Trumper resigning news?

III. A Never Trumper editor resigning because their company issued a statement supporting Trump is "interesting" in what way? The same way that the sun rising in the east is "interesting"? Both are expected.

Comment

• Like one would expect many opinions have been shared regarding the points Christianity Today made. I think Gerson does a good job at pointing to the context of the commentary:

Note how the point is that we are not only talking politics here. And that is why the criticism is so important, this is about basic moral values.

And for those who fail to see the significane in the commentary or Trumps response I think Gerson puts it very well here:

And those who think we should be thankful for all the good Trump has done are given these comments:

From the perspective of Trump partisans, a less carnal version of the Ailes arrangement still applies. Evangelical Christians will be given rhetorical deference, White House access and judges and regulations of their liking. All they need to do is set aside their criticisms of cruelty, deception, misogyny, racism and contempt for the vulnerable. All they need to do is forget decency and moral consistency.
                            Merry Christmas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...166_story.html
                            Last edited by Charles; 12-25-2019, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Why are the Trump haters so excited? Soon, the new cycle will move on. The only significant outcomes will be 'elite' evangelicals outing themselves and losing support, and CT becoming more irrelevant (together with National Review).
                              I take that back. This is significant. It's the start of the real election season, we can tell by NeverTrumpers gathering to attack Trump like it's 2015. Sadly, a yuge number of them have defected to the Trump train, and much less people believe the attacks this time around. Sad!

Comment

...The MSM studiously ignored it until one of CP's editors (an avowed Never Trumper) announced his resignation in protest. Only then did the MSM become interested.
                                This is about me, isn't it?
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment