Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Open Skies Treaty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Hence, the drones.

(But I love it when MaGee sits there in NCIS headquarters and retasks a satellite* to watch somebody's car driving up I95, triggering every red light camera and mom&pop grocery store security camera)

*please don't tell me MaGee can't actually do that!
    I saw a movie once were they "flipped" a security camera image to see what the suspect was hiding behind his back!
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I saw a movie once were they "flipped" a security camera image to see what the suspect was hiding behind his back!
      Or Blade Runner where they could zoom in and see around corners in a two-dimensional photograph.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I remember reading years ago that military satellites could not only tell you there was a man sitting on a park bench reading a newspaper but could actually show you the newspaper's date. Perhaps an exaggeration, but it's generally the case that military technology is far more advanced than the general public is aware of.
        I very much doubt that. What I know of military technology shows its typically the opposite. But even if those satellites really did have some extra highly specced tech in them, the military still has to operate against the laws of physics. And for a mirror optic of a certain diameter you can only resolve so much. We also know pretty much how big the military spy sats are, and they're comparable to the Hubble Space Telescope (only pointing down and with near-field optics). That's roughly 2.4 meters wide.

They've got a resolution power sufficient to detect the motion of individual humans.

If they were to read the print on a newspaper they'd have to be wider than two football fields joined together, and you'd be able to see the mirror with your naked eye.

Comment

Hence, the drones.
          Drones can also get way better images.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Drones can also get way better images.
            From various angles, at night, real time... and, if authorized, execute.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I very much doubt that. What I know of military technology shows its typically the opposite. But even if those satellites really did have some extra highly specced tech in them, the military still has to operate against the laws of physics. And for a mirror optic of a certain diameter you can only resolve so much. We also know pretty much how big the military spy sats are, and they're comparable to the Hubble Space Telescope (only pointing down and with near-field optics). That's roughly 2.4 meters wide.

They've got a resolution power sufficient to detect the motion of individual humans.

If they were to read the print on a newspaper they'd have to be wider than two football fields joined together, and you'd be able to see the mirror with your naked eye.
              Plus the "angle of attack" has to be pretty limited due to altitude.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Plus the "angle of attack" has to be pretty limited due to altitude.
                Also their heights vary with orbits, so their resolution is also not something you always get to decide. American spy sats are big enough that amateur astronomers can track them and plot their trajectories some have a low point in their orbit and a high point.

Most of the north-south bound satellites that are bright and visible are military spy sats.

Comment

From various angles, at night, real time... and, if authorized, execute.
                  They're handy.

Comment

Also their heights vary with orbits, so their resolution is also not something you always get to decide. American spy sats are big enough that amateur astronomers can track them and plot their trajectories some have a low point in their orbit and a high point.

Most of the north-south bound satellites that are bright and visible are military spy sats.
                    To the extent that, in Clinton's presidency, it was known that the terrorist training camps knew the schedules, and, during the appropriate time slots, would have all their military operatiors in the tents or buildings, and maybe some guys playing soccer out in the open.

Comment

To the extent that, in Clinton's presidency, it was known that the terrorist training camps knew the schedules, and, during the appropriate time slots, would have all their military operatiors in the tents or buildings, and maybe some guys playing soccer out in the open.
                      A lot of people forget they're so huge that you can see them yourself, and amateur astronomers can even manage to snap pictures of them.

Comment

A lot of people forget they're so huge that you can see them yourself, and amateur astronomers can even manage to snap pictures of them.

But in the movies, it's no big deal to "retask a satellite" or "reposition" a satellite to zoom in on your intended target! Just move them around the sky like chess pieces.

Comment

But in the movies, it's no big deal to "retask a satellite" or "reposition" a satellite to zoom in on your intended target! Just move them around the sky like chess pieces.
                          Well there is a lot of off camera red tape getting cut

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I like the really old spy sats where they put film roll camera inside a satelitte, had the shutter go off every few seconds at timed intervals. And then the orbit would naturally decay, marines would be dispatched to pick up the satellite and the film would be recovered. The old (and now entirely declassified) Corona program from 1972 did just that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_(satellite)

Comment

I like the really old spy sats where they put film roll camera inside a satelitte, had the shutter go off every few seconds at timed intervals. And then the orbit would naturally decay, marines would be dispatched to pick up the satellite and the film would be recovered. The old (and now entirely declassified) Corona program from 1972 did just that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corona_(satellite)

Or even the U2 or SR-71 arrangement where the plane would land, and the guys would run out to the plane, unload the huge film pod, and rush it to processing for "nearly real time" surveillance...

Comment

Stupid physics always getting in the way of cool story... mumble mumble...
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment