Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump-Russia Probe: Criminal Investigation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
    Reporters want every source to speak for attribution, especially if they think the source is lying. ....
    To be clear, I have no reason to believe this would not be absolutely true of you even today.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think you were the first one I saw post the admission that the liberal media is not even trying to maintain the appearance of objectivity (or something like that).

Comment

• That's because, in spite of the body count, communists are saints and angels

Dang ff your obvious trolling is just getting too obvious.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Thank you... ever so much... for.. um... whatever that was.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I believe that was true once upon a time.
            I think you have to be careful to understand the difference between print media, TV/cable news, and 24/7 cable opinion shows. Shows like Rachael Maddow or Hannity to name 2 on opposite ends of the spectrum are OPINION shows that may or may not be objective in their evaluation and/or presentation of the evidence supporting their opinions.

The OPINION sides of many of these networks have abandoned any attempt to remain 'objective'. But that is very different from what is reported as news and how the news itself is handled. Sources that hold to the standards Juvenal describes still exist, perhaps even are the majority still of the serious news outlets (e.g. AP) or major newspapers (e.g WP or NYT) and the primary reason they are viewed as being so biased, especially from the conservative side (more on this in a minute), has more to do with the mindset of the observers than the actual bias or lack standards related to their reporting.

RepublicanView.jpeg

Remember the charts I put up a week or so ago? At how difference audiences perceived the bias in the news. Republican observers (reposted above) were much more likely to see bias from ALL sources - including their own. Only fox and Wall Street Journal showed up on the blue (more unbiassed) side of the chart.

Another key take-away here is that ALL sources recognize the bias in the conservative rags (e.g. breitbart) so often quote here in support of Trump et al.

Jim
            My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Far too general FF. There is good and bad on both sides.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                I think you have to be careful to understand the difference between print media, TV/cable news, and 24/7 cable opinion shows. Shows like Rachael Maddow or Hannity to name 2 on opposite ends of the spectrum are OPINION shows that may or may not be objective in their evaluation and/or presentation of the evidence supporting their opinions.

The OPINION sides of many of these networks have abandoned any attempt to remain 'objective'. But that is very different from what is reported as news and how the news itself is handled. Sources that hold to the standards Juvenal describes still exist, perhaps even are the majority still of the serious news outlets (e.g. AP) or major newspapers (e.g WP or NYT) and the primary reason they are viewed as being so biased, especially from the conservative side (more on this in a minute), has more to do with the mindset of the observers than the actual bias or lack standards related to their reporting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40508[/ATTACH]

Remember the charts I put up a week or so ago? At how difference audiences perceived the bias in the news. Republican observers (reposted above) were much more likely to see bias from ALL sources - including their own. Only fox and Wall Street Journal showed up on the blue (more unbiassed) side of the chart.

Another key take-away here is that ALL sources recognize the bias in the conservative rags (e.g. breitbart) so often quote here in support of Trump et al.

Jim
                Jim, it's the loudest frog in the pond that gets the attention. "Journalism" has become a joke.

Comment

Jim, it's the loudest frog in the pond that gets the attention. "Journalism" has become a joke.
                  You are entitled to your opinion. The problem with your position CP is that it doesn't square with reality, which means that unless you just happen to like the news the legit sources produce, your view of what is going on in the world is very likely to be far more skewed than necessary, and your ability to make meaningful, informed decisions about some very important matters is reduced or even compromised

Comment

You are entitled to your opinion. The problem with your position CP is that it doesn't square with reality, which means that unless you just happen to like the news the legit sources produce, your view of what is going on in the world is very likely to be far more skewed than necessary, and your ability to make meaningful, informed decisions about some very important matters is reduced or even compromised
                    Says the guy who claims that Barr is chasing conspiracy theories.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      You can defend the practice of anonymous sources all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that for the last several years, they have increasingly been used by the mainstream media as a vehicle for spreading unverified rumors and outright lies.
                      I'd be happy to look at any example of this you can find.

Comment

You are entitled to your opinion.
                        How very generous of you.

The problem with your position CP
                        First of all, what, exactly, is my position?

Comment

Yes, we musn't believe the news we hear and see, we must only believe our dear leader.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Yes, we musn't believe the news we hear and see, we must only believe our dear leader.
                            If you have something you'd like to discuss, Jim, I'm good with that, but I don't have time for this insincere talkingpointsmemo nonsense.

Comment

How very generous of you.

First of all, what, exactly, is my position?
                              Oh good grief.

Originally posted by Cow Poke
                              "Journalism" has become a joke.

Comment

Oh good grief.
                                Anybody can be a "journalist" these days, Jim, and anybody can claim their news sources are not biased. Most people can't tell the difference between real journalism, editorial content, and commentary.

I say again, "Journalism" (and I specifically put it in quotes) has become a joke.

Comment