Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump-Russia Probe: Criminal Investigation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm not playing your games, Jim.
    I understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      With 6 murdered, the U.S was among the top 5 deadliest countries for journalists last year, CP.
      Last year there was a uncharacteristic spike in the number killed in the U.S. because some guy was pissed off at the coverage of his being put on probation for harassing an acquaintance through social media and email and went to the newspaper's offices and murdered five people with a shotgun. Normally the number of journalists killed in the U.S. in any given year is around zero.

And even in this unique instance I couldn't help but notice that the various lists of most dangerous jobs in America that journalists are never included. Even a groundskeeper is nearly thirty two times more likely to get killed on the job as a journalist (191 deaths to 6). Even the guys not working the equipment, the folks who supervise the guys doing landscaping, lawn service and groundskeeping workers are nearly six times more likely to die on the job (53 to 6). The point being that we are not exactly looking at some sort of crisis with reporters being at risk.

Anywho... I wonder how that stacks up compared to the number of, say, law enforcement agents killed. You know, the folks that some on the left have been advocating violence toward for awhile now (whether Al Sharpton declaring that "I believe in offing the pigs"[1] to BLM chanting "Pigs in a blanket, fry 'em like bacon" and "What do we want? Dead cops. When do we want it? Now." (the latter was being chanted just before two cops were ambushed sitting in their car and murdered).

Last edited by rogue06; 10-30-2019, 05:51 AM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

With 6 murdered, the U.S was among the top 5 deadliest countries for journalists last year, CP.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Tragic as that is, it's simply not "all the time", teacher. And these are hard journalists who were going up against oppressive regimes, none of which was in the US.
          Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          A whopping 31 this year, worldwide?

While 1 is too many, that hardly qualifies as "all the time" - but you knew that, Jerk.
          Did you see Russia on that list, or China? Those are just the deaths RSF could verify as definitively linked to their journalism, in places where you can still get in and out quietly to check. Translators and drivers killed to emphasize the warnings are counted separately, but you knew that, too, piglet.

Just stop minimizing this. Just stop missing the point. Just stop.

There are journalists risking their lives every day reporting on those oppressive regimes. And those regimes are paying attention to President Trump when he labels journalists enemies of the state, when he instigates his crowds to turn on the reporters covering his rallies, when he refuses to hold Khashoggi's killers accountable, justifying the lapse with potential weapons sales.

Journalism is not a joke.

And it's not a job any of y'all calling it out have ever tried to do. It's a tough job, even when you're not under threat from an MBS. Even if you're not the Gray Lady. Even when it's just misbehavior by the local dog catcher you're exposing, these folks push back as hard as they can.

The college I was reporting on put a mole into our office who went through our files looking for dirt on our publisher. Using what they found, they tried to expel her. And then they thanked the mole with a $10,000 check to add start-up money for his rival paper, out of student funds, no less. We knew it was true from the get go, because people talk, but we didn't publish it until a reporter in our office got a copy of that check.

There's always a scad of stories like that, waiting for enough corroboration to appease the editors, unless you've got a job on Fox and Friends as the president's daily briefer, and your name is Doocy.

There are always bad cops out there if you're looking to find them, and there are always heros, but mostly it's just folks doing their jobs. Sometimes they do those jobs in the face of public propaganda campaigns stirring other folks up to attack them, all too often from campaigners pursuing their own financial motives.

And that should stop, too.

Comment

I'm with CP on this one - that was because some nutter with a gun shot up a newspaper office. It's not indicative of journalism in the US being dangerous, any more than the Charlie Hebdo attack was for France.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              More Taxi drivers died last year than journalist.
              Maths time.

6 journalists out of about 35k. 0.171 per thousand.
              But only 0.147 per thousand for taxi drivers.

So if those stats aren't too far out due to annual changes - and I've overcompensated anyway - while more taxi drivers were killed, their greater numbers means that taxi-drivers still suffered less than journalists last year.

Though, as already noted, last year was exceptional for journalists.

Wow, taxi drivers in America have a high entry bar

P.S. Need to update Monty Python. Lumberjacks are definitely not ok.
              Last edited by Roy; 10-30-2019, 08:46 AM.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                Did you see Russia on that list, or China? Those are just the deaths RSF could verify as definitively linked to their journalism, in places where you can still get in and out quietly to check. Translators and drivers killed to emphasize the warnings are counted separately, but you knew that, too, piglet.

Just stop minimizing this. Just stop missing the point. Just stop.
                Just stop getting your panties in a bunch over a false narrative. Just stop misrepresenting the point. Just stop.

The narrative was about the "journalism" having to do with the US POLITICAL crap, and there were ZERO foreign nations listed in the post to which I was responding.

Stop being a jackass. Stop being an arrogant ass. Just stop.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• What's amazing to me is that somebody would go on little tirades supposedly defending free speech while telling others to shut up.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    Maths time.

6 journalists out of about 35k. 0.171 per thousand.
                    But only 0.147 per thousand for taxi drivers.

So if those stats aren't too far out due to annual changes - and I've overcompensated anyway - while more taxi drivers were killed, their greater numbers means that taxi-drivers still suffered less than journalists last year.
                    Another Roy sad attempt to try to catch me in an error. First, the death rates are per 100,000 workers, not the metric you used. Second, I used this metric:

So year by year, Taxi drivers are more likely to be killed or injured, doing their job. Tell me if that list includes Journalist anywhere.

Though, as already noted, last year was exceptional for journalists.
                    Wow, taxi drivers in America have a high entry bar

P.S. Need to update Monty Python. Lumberjacks are definitely not ok.
                    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

What's amazing to me is that somebody would go on little tirades supposedly defending free speech while telling others to shut up.
                      That would be a significant distortion of what is happening here. You are pretending there is nothing of substance to his point, and he has a reasonable expectation that a preacher, a minister of the Gospel would be sufficiently committed to the truth and intelligent enough to understand there is substance to his point.
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        I'm with CP on this one - that was because some nutter with a gun shot up a newspaper office. It's not indicative of journalism in the US being dangerous, any more than the Charlie Hebdo attack was for France.
                        Thanks, Roy.

My point all along ("journalism" is a joke) was specific (in response to) the fact that the political coverage from the various outlets in the US (what was discussed in the post to which I responded) has become a joke, with right wing and left wing outlets covering stories to the advantage of their own chose party, a bunch of nutter sites that pop up but can look quite official (anybody can have a website or blog) and even what used to be mainline news sources giving up any pretense of objectivity.

Clearly, there are still some real journalists around, but they get outshouted by all the political posturing.

Somehow, this got perverted into some kind of idiotic "CP is criticizing journalists who are getting killed all the time", which was a crock of snake poop.

And when I refer to "hard journalism" - I mean what USED to be taught (maybe it still is) in journalism classes where you go after the truth, and lay aside your personal opinions and prejudices. I'm just not seeing much of that anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                          That would be a significant distortion of what is happening here.
                          I disagree.

You are pretending there is nothing of substance to his point,
                          Perhaps you can elaborate his point - because, as I explained in my previous post - my criticism of "journalism" is the kind of "journalism" that has a specific political goal.

and he has a reasonable expectation that a preacher, a minister of the Gospel would be sufficiently committed to the truth and intelligent enough to understand there is substance to his point.
                          wow

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            That would be a significant distortion of what is happening here. You are pretending there is nothing of substance to his point, and he has a reasonable expectation that a preacher, a minister of the Gospel would be sufficiently committed to the truth and intelligent enough to understand there is substance to his point.
                            Could be any more hypocritical and full of yourself? I'm not asking rhetorically, I'm genuinely curious.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Just stop getting your panties in a bunch over a false narrative. Just stop misrepresenting the point. Just stop.

The narrative was about the "journalism" having to do with the US POLITICAL crap, and there were ZERO foreign nations listed in the post to which I was responding.

Stop being a jackass. Stop being an arrogant ass. Just stop.
                              Doubling down attacking the messenger makes the behavior twice as wrong, and no more effective than chopping a quote down to the two paragraphs you can get off your lazy Edited by a Moderator to actually read, ya dimwitted, slack-jawed, poor excuse for a preacher pushing "the way, the truth, and the light" with your two-out-of-three ain't bad apologetics for political malfeasance that's endangering journalists around the world.

Just stop.

Your "narrative" not only doesn't check out, but is being promoted by propagandists you've shown no more talent for checking yourself than you've shown ability to come up with a creative insult or to figure out when a less than creative insult is ripe for plucking.

Your mother wears army boots.

</taunting>

Moderated By: DesertBerean

word is not allowed in this context.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                              Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Last edited by DesertBerean; 10-30-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
                                Doubling down attacking the messenger
                                I love you, too.

Comment