Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

O�Rourke: Churches Should Lose Tax-exempt Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    That happens very seldom, and don't think rapists and murderers should ever get out...
    Back in my criminal law and criminology classes one professor often pointed out that the class of criminals with the lowest recidivism rate were those convicted of murder.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There is a Pew poll, the more devout you are the more likely that you would be against abortion...

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-l...bout-abortion/
      Holy crap ... that's seer ... using my go-to source on religious opinions, especially regarding evangelicals. I am duly impressed.

Okay, that lacks the requisite oomph, so let me say it again ... in Texan.

A-FREAKING-MEN! (and pass the mashed potatoes)

Comment

• By Matt Viser and Jenna Johnson
        November 1, 2019 at 6:25 p.m. EDT

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post
          Holy crap ... that's seer ... using my go-to source on religious opinions, especially regarding evangelicals. I am duly impressed.

Okay, that lacks the requisite oomph, so let me say it again ... in Texan.

A-FREAKING-MEN! (and pass the mashed potatoes)
          Of course it was too much to expect he'd link to the relevant graphic ...

2019-11-02_06-19-39.jpg

... but baby steps, baby steps.

I can't find a similar break-out just for Southern Baptists. Mebbe I need to look harder, and maybe someone else is willing to go to the trouble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            I'd be interesting in seeing the statistics if you asked them how many of them go to Church every Sunday.
            Attendance at religious services among members of the Southern Baptist Convention2019-11-02_06-32-00.jpg

You can extrapolate between the graphics or tables.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Charles, you're coming up with stuff you want to believe and pretending it's true. There is SO MUCH wrong with your twisted logic here that it's not even funny. You got NOTHING but pulling imaginary numbers out of your butt.

Why don't you spend some of your NannyRuption time actually doing some research?

Fast Facts About the SBC

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40612[/ATTACH]

Now, if there are 14,813,234 Southern Baptists, and the weekly worship attendance is 5,297,788, that indicates that... I'll tell you what -- let's see if YOU can do that math!

It may be convenient for you, because it's a really birdbrained dumb argument in the first place, and it's no surprise that you couldn't even bother yourself to look anything up.

FACT: Just because somebody is a Southern Baptist doesn't mean they attend Church, OR are even born again.
              FACT: EVEN IF THEY ARE, two of the core fundamentals of SBC life are "the priesthood of the believer" and "the autonomy of the local church" - meaning they are allowed to believe what they want!

Sheesh, you can be so dense!
              I have never denied any of that. However, in all your frustration you still have not figured out that my point still stands: "However, it does in no way demonstrate that the 30 % of the Southern Baptist who are pro choice do not go to church every sunday or are not Christians." You even leave room for that posibility yourself, so if you cut all the personal attacks then you are not demonstrating that the 30 % of the Southern Baptist who are pro choice do not go to church every sunday or are not Christians. See it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                I have never denied any of that. However, in all your frustration
                My frustration?

you still have not figured out that my point still stands:
                Only in your head, Charles.

"However, it does in no way demonstrate that the 30 % of the Southern Baptist who are pro choice do not go to church every sunday or are not Christians." You even leave room for that posibility yourself, so if you cut all the personal attacks then you are not demonstrating that the 30 % of the Southern Baptist who are pro choice do not go to church every sunday or are not Christians. See it?
                It's not my job to prove a negative. You come up with a nutty theory - it's your job to back it up.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Back in my criminal law and criminology classes one professor often pointed out that the class of criminals with the lowest recidivism rate were those convicted of murder.
                  So let them out?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So let them out?
                    I'm sure that there must be a second option.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

By Matt Viser and Jenna Johnson
                      November 1, 2019 at 6:25 p.m. EDT
                      00000000000000ab000-00aab2.jpg

Comment

It's not my job to prove a negative. You come up with a nutty theory - it's your job to back it up.
                        I have only refered to an aticle in which we are made aware that 3 out of the Southern Baptists are pro choice. I have not in any way tried to make any claims on whether they go to church or are born again Christians. I have only said we do not know and I have found it a little too convenient if you want to just simply imagine they are not among the church goers. You called me dense and had all sorts of personal attacks based on that and now you claim you cannot support the foundation for that? Interesting.

So, let's sum it up. 3 out of 10 Southern Baptists are pro choice. We do not know whether they are church goers, born again Christians or not. It seems some of you would like to imagine they are not but you have found nothing to suggest so.

Comment

Charles, you're coming up with stuff you want to believe and pretending it's true. There is SO MUCH wrong with your twisted logic here that it's not even funny. You got NOTHING but pulling imaginary numbers out of your butt.

Why don't you spend some of your NannyRuption time actually doing some research?

Fast Facts About the SBC

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40612[/ATTACH]

Now, if there are 14,813,234 Southern Baptists, and the weekly worship attendance is 5,297,788, that indicates that... I'll tell you what -- let's see if YOU can do that math!
                          Pewforum's self-reported 57% for Southern Baptists.

Many faith groups, (especially those who are struggling) inflate their membership, but at 5.3% of the US according to Pew and 14.8 million members according to the SBC, that would map back to a US population of 279 million, which is well in line with the 2010 census pop. of 243 million for 16+, assuming the SBC doesn't list babies as members and most but not all SBC churches are "cooperating."

The real inflation, not too surprisingly, looks to be in the self-reported attendance.

Folks do, generally, think better of themselves than they rightly deserve.

I bet you know where I'm going with this already.

It may be convenient for you, because it's a really birdbrained dumb argument in the first place, and it's no surprise that you couldn't even bother yourself to look anything up.

FACT: Just because somebody is a Southern Baptist doesn't mean they attend Church, OR are even born again.
                          FACT: EVEN IF THEY ARE, two of the core fundamentals of SBC life are "the priesthood of the believer" and "the autonomy of the local church" - meaning they are allowed to believe what they want!

Sheesh, you can be so dense!
                          Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          that you're dumber than a bag of hammers.

(fixed it for ya)
                          While you might say someone using phrases like, say, NannyRuption, or birdbrained dumb, or dumber than a bag of hammers, is an arrogant ass, because that's the thing you work hardest on trying to overcome; I tend to call it lazy ass, as my personal issues are with failing to work harder at making my insults more mellifluous and euphonic, because for me, when it comes to diminutions, the style will always be more important than the substance.

This is about the dark side.

And cookies, don't forget the cookies.

Comment

Pewforum's self-reported 57% for Southern Baptists.
                            Using that survey, views about abortion among Southern Baptists show that...

A) 30% of Southern Baptists believe abortion should be legal in all/most cases
                            B) 32% of Southern Baptists are moderate or liberal
                            C) 36% of Southern Baptists are Democrat or claim no leaning

We are a diverse denomination - and, as stated, two of the most fundamental tenants of our denomination are "the priesthood of the believer" and "the autonomy of the local church".

It should be no surprise to anybody that group A is probably the result of (or related to) being part of groups B and C.

So, what's the significance of Charles' claim that "3 out of 10 Southern Baptists are pro choice"?

As an aside, sadly, that survey also shows that "Frequency of participation in prayer, scripture study or religious education groups among members of the Southern Baptist Convention" is only at 44%. I'd love to see where that group stands abortion.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

"It should be no surprise to anybody that group A is probably the result of (or related to) being part of groups B and C."
                              The truth is you don't know. It can be convenient to think so but that does not make it the truth. It may even be likely, and you still don't know. After all we know that historically Southern Baptists have been pro choice to some degree and they continue to be so to some degree (30 %).

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                                The truth is you don't know.
                                I have FAR more experience in this area than you do, Charles, having been a Southern Baptists since I reached majority, and having been involved in local, state and national denominational positions.

It can be convenient to think so but that does not make it the truth.
                                Sometimes the best answer is the most obvious one.

It may even be likely, and you still don't know.
                                I know.

After all we know that historically Southern Baptists have been pro choice to some degree and they continue to be so to some degree (30 %).
                                If you actually look at the survey provided, click on the "trend" tab of each of those breakouts, you'll see that, within the Southern Baptist Convention, we are trending more pro-life.

So, do you actually have a point, Charles? Let's fast forward to your big finish.

Comment