Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take This Impeachment And Shove It...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    A national security risk how and why? I watched most of the hearings, please explain...
    IIRC, there was a Democrat Congressperson who thought Trump needed to be impeached because he was making his own foreign policy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
      Whether the House should have included perjury is a matter of debate -- not everything a President does that is corrupt or even illegal needs to be included in articles of impeachment. But Trump's alleged perjury to the Special Counsel fits into the articles of impeachment passed by the House, in any event.

Like Trump's decades of tax cheating, just because it's not mentioned in one particular place doesn't mean it didn't happen.

--Sam

After straining gnats for months trying to find anything they could charge him with, you think they had "perjury" and just didn't bother to use it?

Comment

If you read the report related to the articles of impeachment, witness tampering is included in the obstruction of Congress article.
        Who are you talking about? If you are speaking of Trump which witnesses did he tamper with?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The article's been out for well over a year and got dozens of response articles in other papers. If you've used up your free NYT articles for the month, it shouldn't be hard to find a summary article on CNN, WaPo, or elsewhere.

Pretty crazy that people round here who gab about politics all day every day are ignorant of it, tho.

--Sam
          You've been told before about arguing via weblink, Sam. If you insist on doing it, at least link to something not behind a paywall. You need to include some quotes from the article to support your assertions.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
            Who are you talking about? If you are speaking of Trump which witnesses did he tamper with?
            Likely the former disgruntled diplomat who whined about how great a job she was doing, since Trump tweeted about her while she was bellyaching "testifying."

Of course she would not have known about the Tweet, which means it couldn't have possibly influenced her "testimony," if Schiff hadn't stopped the proceedings so he could read it to her.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
              So let me get this straight, the Democrats are bypassing real crimes to charge Trump with for made up crimes to charge Trump with. I sure hope that made more sense in your head than saying it out loud.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

After straining gnats for months trying to find anything they could charge him with, you think they had "perjury" and just didn't bother to use it?
                The scary thing is that this makes perfect sense to the TDS crowd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Yes, "credible:

1. capable of being believed; believable".

2. a credible statement. worthy of belief or confidence; trustworthy: a credible witness.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/credible

1. Third or fourth hand hearsay evidence is capable of being believed?

2. An opinion is a Credible Statement, worthy of beleif or confidence: Trustworthy: A credible Witness?

I don't know how it is in Australia with your court systems but here in America the courts do do not accept hearsay evidence as credible just on the say so of the prosecution. And no Court would accept the case that only has only hearsay evidence and opinion.

Comment

You've been told before about arguing via weblink, Sam. If you insist on doing it, at least link to something not behind a paywall. You need to include some quotes from the article to support your assertions.
                    It's not an argument via weblink and it's common enough practice here that I'm not going bother with making a citation if it's not a specific feature of a particular argument.

Not interested in folks trying to enforce vague interpretations of the rules only sometimes and only for some posters.

--Sam
                    "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

It's not an argument via weblink and it's common enough practice here that I'm not going bother with making a citation if it's not a specific feature of a particular argument.

Not interested in folks trying to enforce vague interpretations of the rules only sometimes and only for some posters.

--Sam
                      Just use some common courtesy Sam. And do yourself a favor: When you link to paywalled articles, people can't read your source. It has the effect of them ignoring your point, since you didn't even bother quoting any of it. They merely take it as your opinion and nothing else.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        Clinto was impeached for lying to Congress, dopey!
                        No Jim Clinton was charged with Perjury. Which is the crime he lied under oath to a grand jury while he was President and was immediately disbarred after he was caught. he was also charged with tampering with a witness which is not obstruction of congress but obstruction of Justice sorry JimL in neither of these cases was he covered by Exectutive Privilege. waht were you 2 years old when Clinton was impeached? that would be the only reason you don't know what happened

Comment

--Sam
                          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Just use some common courtesy Sam. And do yourself a favor: When you link to paywalled articles, people can't read your source. It has the effect of them ignoring your point, since you didn't even bother quoting any of it. They merely take it as your opinion and nothing else.
                            Well, that would be foolish.

It's an extensive article and there's absolutely no way to summarize it in a way that won't be taken as declarative instead of investigative to folks here who have no interest in determining that Trump is actually guilty of tax fraud. It's not the type of article that can be usefully cited without excessive violation of TWeb's (loosely enforced) fair use guidelines.

I just pasted the page into one of my alternative Chrome user profiles and had no problem bringing up the entire article. If folks actually want to read it, they could manage with ease.

If not, well, I don't think it's something that's gonna turn hearts and minds, given what we've been dealing with.

--Sam
                            "I wonder about the trees. / Why do we wish to bear / Forever the noise of these / More than another noise / Robert Frost, "The Sound of Trees"

Comment

• If Bernie Madoff was running a ponzi scheme, how did he go for decades without being charged?

If Jerry Epstein was running a human trafficking outfit of underage girls, how did he go for decades without being charged?

If Trump's taxes are on the up and up, why is there reportedly a whistleblower complaint about improper interference in the IRS audit process of his returns?

I'd say there's something smart and necessary in Warren making her platform prioritized around anti-corruption among the rich and well-to-do.

--Sam

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Not. Even. Close.

He was impeached for committing perjury in court.

In the future please at least make some attempt to fail better.
                                Don't ya love it when he calls you 'dopey' while saying something incredibly dopey?
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment