Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Supreme Court: The Wall Can Go Foward...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Yeah, no. That doesn't fit the actual evidence - and fleeing criminals ISN'T grounds for refugee status.
    I wonder how much evidence you've actually looked into regarding what is happening in some of these countries. Here is one article of people that would meet the US criteria for a group persecuted by the government: https://www.hrw.org/news/2019/07/10/...utal-crackdown Some of these countries are so heavily destabalised it is not even clear if criminal gangs aren't just extensions of the government's extrajudicial activity.

I could find more evidence, if you like, that there are genuine refugees fleeing from these countries due to persecution for their beliefs.
    Last edited by Zara; 07-28-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zara View Post
      I could find more evidence, if you like, that there are genuine refugees fleeing from these countries due to persecution for their beliefs.
      You are speaking of half the world to one degree or another, they can't all come here, the majority can't come here. A significant minority can't come here.

US requirements:

Asylum has two basic requirements. First, an asylum applicant must establish that he or she fears persecution from their Government in their home country. Second, the applicant must prove that he or she would be persecuted on account of one of five protected grounds: race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or particular social group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asylum..._United_States
      Last edited by seer; 07-28-2019, 12:19 PM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
        You are speaking of half the world to one degree or another, they can't all come here, the majority can't come here. A significant minority can't come here.
        Sure.

However, if you help create a problem - and then 30 years later the consequence of that problem materialises in the form of people fleeing. I have little sympathy for a hard-line response from the US. Maybe don't interfere in these countries, or if you do, make sure that you leave them better than you found them so that people aren't motivated to flee. The number of people leaving stable countries in the region are not high.

Comment

US requirements:

Asylum has two basic requirements. First, an asylum applicant must establish that he or she fears persecution from their Government in their home country. Second, the applicant must prove that he or she would be persecuted on account of one of five protected grounds: race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or particular social group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asylum..._United_States
          Right, so the plan is clearly moronic - since if they are being persecuted in their home country it is not a safe place to be or ask for asylum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zero View Post
            This is incorrect. I'm not bothered correcting it for you. Either way, the plan is still moronic for genuine refugees.
            No, it's not incorrect, and pretending you know better when you obviously don't is a really lame debate tactic.

Every year people come to the United States seeking protection because they have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to:

o Race
            o Religion
            o Nationality
            o Membership in a particular social group
            o Political opinion

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/r...-asylum/asylum

Like I said, asylum is not intended for victims of local crime or an inept government, or who simply want a better life.

As for applying for asylum in their own country, you do know what an embassy is, yes?
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Ooo! Charles!! Look an "ad hominem!!" -- make sure you call him out on it!
              Can anyone point to even one instance were Charles asserted his self-appointed role as Net Nanny and scolded someone that he agrees with for the sort of behavior he insists upsets him oh so much?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                No, it's not incorrect, and pretending you know better when you obviously don't is a really lame debate tactic.

Every year people come to the United States seeking protection because they have suffered persecution or fear that they will suffer persecution due to:

o Race
                o Religion
                o Nationality
                o Political opinion

Like I said, asylum is not intended for victims of local crime or an inept government, or who simply want a better life.

As for applying for asylum in their own country, you do know what an embassy is, yes?
                "Asylum is mostly intended for victims of war." is incorrect - you corrected yourself. High five! You should thank Seer.

The go to the embassy argument is a non-started for people that are being persecuted and need to flee. But a good way to round people up, just stand in front of the embassy with a net.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

o Race
                  o Religion
                  o Nationality
                  o Political opinion

And let's not forget, as has been mentioned previously, how even a reporter for CNN after interviewing folks in one of the caravans admitted that nearly all of them were coming not to escape persecution or because they feared for their lives but because they want more money. He even noted how they've been instructed to lie about that and declare they're seeking asylum.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Right, so the plan is clearly moronic - since if they are being persecuted in their home country it is not a safe place to be or ask for asylum.
                    Thankfully people like you are not in charge.
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      And let's not forget, as has been mentioned previously, how even a reporter for CNN after interviewing folks in one of the caravans admitted that nearly all of them were coming not to escape persecution or because they feared for their lives but because they want more money. He even noted how they've been instructed to lie about that and declare they're seeking asylum.
                      Again, this has to do with genuine refugees, not with economic migrants. Your belief that the world has no refugee is pathetic but kinda required for your world view. Which, is clearly good.

Comment

"Asylum is mostly intended for victims of war." is incorrect - you corrected yourself. High five! You should thank Seer.

The go to the embassy argument is a non-started for people that are being persecuted and need to flee. But a good way to round people up, just stand in front of the embassy with a net.
                        But those people claiming to be fleeing for their lives found safety and sanctuary the moment that they crossed into southern Mexico. But they turned the offer down flat because that wasn't what they really wanted.

So they continued on, often dragging small children with them for thousands of miles through arid mountainous territory and lands controlled by the same sorta folks they declared they're trying to avoid. Then they count on gangs of coyotes (not the Will E. Coyote type) who, according to estimates, sexually assault at least a third of the girls and women entrusted to them.

Comment

Thankfully people like you are not in charge.
                          I see. Still doesn't make the plan any less moronic to people genuinely fleeing government persecution.

Comment

Again, this has to do with genuine refugees, not with economic migrants. Your belief that the world has no refugee is pathetic but kinda required for your world view. Which, is clearly good.
                            Such refugees comprise but a miniscule fraction of the horde trying to invade. And as has been noted...

Comment

But those people claiming to be fleeing for their lives found safety and sanctuary the moment that they crossed into southern Mexico. But they turned the offer down flat because that wasn't what they really wanted.

So they continued on, often dragging small children with them for thousands of miles through arid mountainous territory and lands controlled by the same sorta folks they declared they're trying to avoid. Then they count on gangs of coyotes (not the Will E. Coyote type) who, according to estimates, sexually assault at least a third of the girls and women entrusted to them.
                              Why do you keep raising that issue? This is about whether this plan is moronic. Which it clearly is.

Regarding your comments. Imagine how horrible it must be back home, if you're willing to take those risks. I suspect that orphans living in these countries, things don't end well. But hey, straw-man.

Comment

Such refugees comprise but a miniscule fraction of the horde trying to invade. And as has been noted...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]38680[/ATTACH]
                                Your picture is so dumb. Seriously. I could love my country, but be forced out by people that hate my political beliefs - people that were installed by a US backed coup for instance.

Comment