Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump the Autocrat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    The part I corrected. Is your attention span that short?
    Then you didn't correct anything. You basically repeated part of what I had already said, and left the rest out.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Um... that might be how things are done in Carpeland on Wacky Wednesday, but in real life that doesn't happen - nothing close to it.

He would be PRESUMED innocent until convicted, but first, there would need to be probable cause to believe an offense has actually been committed

THEN, an investigation is done to gather evidence and testimony.
      THEN, the alleged offense needs to be...

A) chargeable (there needs to be an actual belief that an offense has been committed)
      2) presented to a grand jury, (after somebody - district attorney or other similar authority) has deemed the case has merit)
      C) then prosecuted beyond a reasonable doubt.

Often, because the DA (or similar authority) might not believe it can actually be proven in court, even THOUGH it might pass a grand jury, the case is never prosecuted.

Impeachment adds a whole new layer to that, because the Grand Jury is, in essence, the House, and the Jury is, for all practical purposes, the Senate.

If you can't convince in the Senate, all else is simply political bluster and grandstanding.
      Yeah- and if you go though my list...that's pretty much what I have said in multiple posts:

Suspect (for reasons)
      Investigate
      Indict (if sufficient evidence)
      Try

Somehow, despite a lot of suspicion and a lot of evidence, Trump's base just does not want that investigation. Sorry - but many of the rest of us do.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

yeah tying up congress for 4 years on baseless allegations and investigations?
        Like Congress is producing anything anyway in the current political climate?

And I see the allegations are already "baseless," despite not being investigated. Interesting.

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        You could be right. Better to keep congress busy doing nothing than to have them actually start screwing up the country with idiotic legislation.
        Well - legislation that doesn't have a prayer of passing, anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Yeah- and if you go though my list...that's pretty much what I have said in multiple posts:
          That's way too punishing.

Suspect (for reasons)
          Investigate
          Try
          It doesn't sound as wacky when you put it like that, as when you dumb it down into... um.... nuttery.

Somehow, despite a lot of suspicion and a lot of evidence, Trump's base just does not want that investigation. Sorry - but many of the rest of us do.
          If it weren't so transparent that the Democrats are not as interested in "Russian influence" as they were in "let's get TRUMP", I'd agree.

IF, for example, the Democrats were to say "I think we need to investigate this whole mess, INCLUDING this whole Fusion GPS thing, and the FISA warrant thing, and....."

No, they just want to GET TRUMP.

You, however, probably totally believe they are on a quest for the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, eh?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The problem is that it's not only Trump who's smoked --- can you say Fusion GPS? (To which Mueller replies, "huh?, I don't know what that is".)
            Again - I have no idea what the context of the question was, so I don't know why Mueller spaced it or said "I don't know what that is." Frankly, if I was Mueller, I'd be pretty tired too. He spent almost two years with relentless pounding from the White House, DOJ leadership, and the Trump base as he simply did his job...and managed to keep a pretty tight lid on his operation. His investigation resulted in multiple indictments, trials, and convictions, with many others handed off to state and local jurisdictions. It was an amazing job, but the result is that a man with a sterling reputation has been pilloried for political gain. Frankly, I think Trump's base should be hanging its head in shame - but I suspect they'll largely gloat and celebrate.

Comment

Again - I have no idea what the context of the question was....
              EGGzackly! The fact that he claimed not to know what Fusion GPS was is just downright nutty.

Mueller: "Not Familiar" With Fusion GPS, "Outside My Purview"

Ya know, it's amazing -- if you don't know something that would look bad for Trump, you research it -- if it looks bad for Mueller... "gosh, I really don't know...."

I double dog dare you to watch that video, and explain how that's perfectly fine performance by Mueller.

Now, a few questions. On page 103 of Volume 2 of your report, when discussing the June 2016 Trump Tower meeting, you referenced "the firm in that produced the Steele reporting." The name of that firm was Fusion GPS. Is that correct?

ROBERT MUELLER, FORMER SPECIAL COUNSEL: And you're on page 103?

CHABOT: 103, that's correct, Volume 2. When you talk about the--the firm that produced the Steele reporting, the name of the firm that produced that was Fusion GPS. Is that correct?

MUELLER: I--I'm not familiar with--with that. I--could you--

CHABOT: --Let me just help you--

MUELLER: --Can you--

CHABOT: --It was. It's not--it's not a trick question or anything. It was Fusion GPS.
              Now, Fusion GPS produced the opposition research document widely--widely known as the Steele dossier. And the owner of Fusion GPA was someone named Glenn Simpson. Are you familiar with that name?

MUELLER: This is outside my purview.

CHABOT: Okay. Glenn Simpson was never mentioned in the 448 page Mueller report, was he?

MUELLER: Well, as I--as I say, it's outside my purview and it's being handled in the department by others.

Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-25-2019, 03:16 PM.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That's way too punishing.

It doesn't sound as wacky when you put it like that, as when you dumb it down into... um.... nuttery.

If it weren't so transparent that the Democrats are not as interested in "Russian influence" as they were in "let's get TRUMP", I'd agree.

IF, for example, the Democrats were to say "I think we need to investigate this whole mess, INCLUDING this whole Fusion GPS thing, and the FISA warrant thing, and....."

No, they just want to GET TRUMP.

You, however, probably totally believe they are on a quest for the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, eh?
                Nope. I think they are as interested in political gain as the right is. And it's largely irrelevant. If there is cause to believe there is criminal action, there is cause to investigate and the investigations should happen. I don't give a fig what motivates the left. I only care about whether there is adequate cause for suspecting criminal activity. If there's not, and it's just a "get Trump" game, then they should go down in defeat. If there is, then investigations should happen. From my perspective, there is more than enough cause to warrant investigation.

Comment

Then you didn't correct anything. You basically repeated part of what I had already said, and left the rest out.
                  wow. you really are in denial.

Comment

Nope. I think they are as interested in political gain as the right is. And it's largely irrelevant. If there is cause to believe there is criminal action, there is cause to investigate and the investigations should happen. I don't give a fig what motivates the left. I only care about whether there is adequate cause for suspecting criminal activity. If there's not, and it's just a "get Trump" game, then they should go down in defeat. If there is, then investigations should happen. From my perspective, there is more than enough cause to warrant investigation.
                    So, part of what instigating all of this "GET TRUMP" fever was Hillary and her Fusion GPS involvement --- let's hear you say "yes, THAT needs to be investigated as well".

Comment

No - that's not the translation. The translation is what I actually said.
                      No, I think I was spot-on.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The adage "innocent until proven guilty" is often misused. It is a legal adage. It means the person is innocent under the law, until there is sufficient evidence to convince a jury of their peers beyond a reasonable doubt.
                        It's also good old fashioned common sense.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                        Until Trump is indicted/impeached, he is legally innocent. An investigation (or investigations) is (are) needed to determine if there actually is sufficient evidence to file charges.
                        Like I said, "We know he's guilty! We just need to keep digging until we find the evidence!"

Comment

...multiple documented instances of potential obstruction of justice.
                          What the heck is "potential obstruction"? Either someone is guilty of obstruction, or they're not. There is no such thing as "potential obstruction", and Mueller himself said that "we did not reach a determination as to whether the President committed a crime." In other words, NO obstruction.

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          But if you are right, and Trump actually did nothing wrong, then you should welcome these investigations.
                          Right... and I'm sure you would happily accept a legal rectal exam if you knew you were innocent.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-25-2019, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Suspect (for reasons)
                            Investigate
                            Try

Ginned-up suspicion, yes; evidence, not a lick of it.

Comment

• Think Richard Jewell, and you'll understand why the presumption of innocence is so important.

Comment

The fact that you think Trump is Charismatic and has a lot of compliant followers with the levers of power.

He speaks like a New York street hustler, everyone thinks he is a liar, and nobody with control over the levers of power follows him, they all hate him. He would have to take over both Congress and the Justice branch and eliminate them, in order to become a dictator. He would be dragged out of the white house in cuffs if he tried something like that by the FBI, who also hates him.

The idea that he could become a dictator is laughable.
                                Does it give any of you Trump supporters even a moment's hesitation when Trump says on several occasions that Article 2 gives him the power to do anything he wants? What if Obama or President Hillary Clinton had said that? In all honesty, what would your reactions have been?

Comment