Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kids In Cages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    Um, CNN seems to think otherwise? Got something to substantiate this? (Mind, I just wanna know - not making a demand of proof here.)
    CNN were right back then but that was before Denmark had a new government. Plans are skipped. Unfortunately this has not been covered much by international media so you will have to use Google translate or similar services to read Danish articles: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/regionale/...elt-fantastisk

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Asylum remains something a country of good conscience will consider. I am surprised a Christian would make such a sweeping statement. Perhaps the parable of the Good Samaritan should be reviewed?
      See Carpe?! This is why!

Originally posted by Charles View Post
      CNN were right back then but that was before Denmark had a new government. Plans are skipped. Unfortunately this has not been covered much by international media so you will have to use Google translate or similar services to read Danish articles: https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/regionale/...elt-fantastisk
      Er, so what? Sparky was just helping Carpe by showing where it had been tried. Okay, 'help' might be a little strong as it proved MY point, but still...

And thanks for the link!
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

No, we're arguing the original premise, not your personal proposals. You wanted to defend it.
        I have no idea what "original premise" you think I am defending.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
        [start humor]
        Also, I hate you. That stupid multi-quote feature is driving me batty and since I used it replying to you, I'm now irrationally blaming you!
        [/end humor]
        Not a problem. Sparko hates my tendency to reply in sections too - so you're not alone.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

See Carpe?! This is why!
          Yes...I said that. Note it says "will consider." It does not say "will grant for everyone who asks for it." Seer had just made a sweeping statement that these families should simply be sent back - no due process - no hearing - not examination of asylum claims. That is a "we don't do asylum" position, hence my response.

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Er, so what? Sparky was just helping Carpe by showing where it had been tried. Okay, 'help' might be a little strong as it proved MY point, but still...

And thanks for the link!
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

And thanks for the link!
            Open borders have not been tried in Denmark. Any belief to the contrary was in error. (I have later corrected this statement. It was based on a misundstanding of concept. I apologize for the error)

The remote island idea was populism. If anyone took interest in the idea or the plans back then it is fair enough to assume that they will take interest in the fact that it will not happen.
            Last edited by Charles; 08-02-2019, 03:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
              Open borders have not been tried in Denmark. Any belief to the contrary was in error.

The remote island idea was populism. If anyone took interest in the idea or the plans back then it is fair enough to assume that they will take interest in the fact that it will not happen.
              Denmark is part of the EU. The EU effectively is open borders
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                Asylum remains something a country of good conscience will consider. I am surprised a Christian would make such a sweeping statement. Perhaps the parable of the Good Samaritan should be reviewed?
                Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                Yes...I said that. Note it says "will consider." It does not say "will grant for everyone who asks for it." Seer had just made a sweeping statement that these families should simply be sent back - no due process - no hearing - not examination of asylum claims. That is a "we don't do asylum" position, hence my response.
                I mean the stupid multi-quote is STILL on. I'm trying to irrationally blame you, remember?
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Nope. Denmark does not have open borders and there are currently no plans to move unwanted migrants to a remote uninhabited island. It was a populist idea that wiser people in the new government chose not to follow.
                  How do you know? Are you in Denmark?

And while not "open borders" they did pretty much open the floodgates when they let in all those syrian refugees a few years back. And now they are regretting it.

Also, isn't Denmark part of the EU? If so, then yes, they do have open borders.
                  Last edited by Sparko; 08-02-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                    Denmark is part of the EU. The EU effectively is open borders
                    That is correct. But Denmark does have border checks to the extent that sometimes the military has been used to control the border between Denmark and Germany.

I would like, however, to correct myself in my above statement because it was to broad. Denmark has had open borders to some extent. English is certainly not my main language so I were confusing things up a bit. It is not the case that any refugee, migrant or whomever can cross the border and then live in Denmark. They may very well be able to enter the country but could very well be asked to leave. That was my point but I messed up the concepts to some extent and for that I apologize.

Comment

That is correct. But Denmark does have border checks to the extent that sometimes the military has been used to control the border between Denmark and Germany.

I would like, however, to correct myself in my above statement because it was to broad. Denmark has had open borders to some extent. English is certainly not my main language so I were confusing things up a bit. It is not the case that any refugee, migrant or whomever can cross the border and then live in Denmark. They may very well be able to enter the country but could very well be asked to leave. That was my point but I messed up the concepts to some extent and for that I apologize.
                      And if any other EU country lets immigrants in, then they can just cross over into Denmark at any time. The EU is basically at the mercy of the most lenient country in regards to immigrants.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        How do you know?

And while not "open borders" they did pretty much open the floodgates when they let in all those syrian refugees a few years back. And now they are regretting it.

Also, isn't Denmark part of the EU? If so, then yes, they do have open borders.
                        Know what? I have given a source showing that the remote island is not going to happen.

Comment

And if any other EU country lets immigrants in, then they can just cross over into Denmark at any time. The EU is basically at the mercy of the most lenient country in regards to immigrants.
                          That is right to some extent. However Denmark has actually had more controls than other EU countries.

Comment

Know what? I have given a source showing that the remote island is not going to happen.
                            https://www.infomigrants.net/en/post...e-on-migration
                            ----

One: Denmark has refugee camps! And apparently they are not very humane.
                            Two: and Denmark is having problems and they don't even have close to the numbers of immigrants that the US is dealing with at the southern border.

50 a week?

Comment

• So you are from Denmark?

Comment

https://www.infomigrants.net/en/post...e-on-migration
                                ----

One: Denmark has refugee camps! And apparently they are not very humane.
                                Two: and Denmark is having problems and they don't even have close to the numbers of immigrants that the US is dealing with at the southern border.

50 a week?

Comment