Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

MLK: Another Cosby Moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a kid I had a lot of respect for King, as I did for Jack Kennedy (a saint to my parents) - and it was a real kick in the gut when the affairs of both men came to light. I guess I expected more....
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      But after watching the FBI for the last two years trying to railroad Trump, would it be hard to believe that they were trying to frame MLK with false claims?
      Not in the least - particularly considering the track record of the FBI director of the time - it's a double whammy.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        But after watching the FBI for the last two years trying to railroad Trump, would it be hard to believe that they were trying to frame MLK with false claims?
        Well they were actually recording these events.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Well they were actually recording these events.
          And it's possible some of those recordings will actually become public.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Does it matter? People who are so inclined will simply dismiss it all as an elaborate hoax. I think King's legacy will make him virtually untouchable in the minds of many.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

There are allegations. There are claims that hard evidence exists to prove those allegations. No hard evidence has been produced to date.

You've spent the last two or three years with that kind of falderol, no?
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                There are allegations. There are claims that hard evidence exists to prove those allegations. No hard evidence has been produced to date.

You've spent the last two or three years with that kind of falderol, no?
                As far as I know, these allegations were not dreamed up and paid for by an opponent's opposition research and pawned off to the FBI as credible intelligence for the basis of massive investigations.

Time will tell.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This reader (can't link to the article because of lots of profanity) wraps up some thoughts with which I agree...

There is actually a great case to be made here for "the Billy Graham rule", which some of our liberals loudly decry.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    It will be interesting to see if these revelations gain any traction, and what the reaction will be, because there are a LOT of roads and buildings and monuments in America bearing his name. Heck, we even have a national holiday to celebrate the day of his birth!
                    I would be cautious. In his day MLK was hated by many, and there would be those, even in high positions of government, that would have actively pursued discrediting him in any way possible. Popular preachers cheating on their wives or carrying on in 100% opposition to what they teach are a dime a dozen (swaggart, baker etc etc), but I still think in this case given the number of people opposed to him on racial grounds and his impact on racism in he US, even the world, it would be very important to wait for hard, verified proof - not just allegations.

Jim
                    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Only if thoroughly verified. Splicing together pieces of tape to create a conversation that never happened was still possible in Kings day. You'd need originals. In our day the artifacts of such splicing could be removed digitally. Not only that, we are at the point in terms of computer simulation capabilities it would be possible to create authentic sounding 'tapes' out of thin air if one was inclined to do so.

Jim
                      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                        I would be cautious. In his day MLK was hated by many, and there would be those, even in high positions of government, that would have actively pursued discrediting him in any way possible. Popular preachers cheating on their wives or carrying on in 100% opposition to what they teach are a dime a dozen (swaggart, baker etc etc), but I still think in this case given the number of people opposed to him on racial grounds and his impact on racism in he US, even the world, it would be very important to wait for hard, verified proof - not just allegations.

Jim
                        I agree that caution is warranted, but as the opening post mentions, these latest revelations are coming from someone who would not be inclined to publish idle rumors.
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          I agree that caution is warranted, but as the opening post mentions, these latest revelations are coming from someone who would not be inclined to publish idle rumors.
                          Even if that were to be accepted - there remains the possibility of duplicity on the part of the person providing the facts that the "someone" could not detect.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

This reader (can't link to the article because of lots of profanity) wraps up some thoughts with which I agree...

There is actually a great case to be made here for "the Billy Graham rule", which some of our liberals loudly decry.
                            I don't know what the Billy Graham rule is (is it the one where you don't go into a room alone with a person of the opposite sex who isn't your significant other?) At any rate, I agree with the person you quote. It'd be a bit hypocritical to start renaming streets when we have slave owners on our money. Some very good people had some very serious flaws that we shouldn't whitewash, and that should come out into the open, but that shouldn't take away from their impact on society or humanity. Also, I think there's need for concern that in any rush to strike King from the record means that people will want to downplay his message. What alternative is there then? Who fills the gap? Malcolm X? Louis Farrakhan?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                              I don't know what the Billy Graham rule is (is it the one where you don't go into a room alone with a person of the opposite sex who isn't your significant other?)
                              Yes, Pastors and Clergy get in trouble in two specific areas - other people's wives (or not their own) and other people's money.

At any rate, I agree with the person you quote. It'd be a bit hypocritical to start renaming streets when we have slave owners on our money. Some very good people had some very serious flaws that we shouldn't whitewash, and that should come out into the open, but that shouldn't take away from their impact on society or humanity. Also, I think there's need for concern that in any rush to strike King from the record means that people will want to downplay his message. What alternative is there then? Who fills the gap? Malcolm X? Louis Farrakhan?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrift View Post
                                I don't know what the Billy Graham rule is (is it the one where you don't go into a room alone with a person of the opposite sex who isn't your significant other?) At any rate, I agree with the person you quote. It'd be a bit hypocritical to start renaming streets when we have slave owners on our money. Some very good people had some very serious flaws that we shouldn't whitewash, and that should come out into the open, but that shouldn't take away from their impact on society or humanity. Also, I think there's need for concern that in any rush to strike King from the record means that people will want to downplay his message. What alternative is there then? Who fills the gap? Malcolm X? Louis Farrakhan?
                                The flip side of that is - why tear down statues and rename schools because we had some very good people who did wonderful things for our country, but had some very serious flaws and owned slaves.

Comment