Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pro-choice distortion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And that, in NO WAY, has anything to do with abortion.
    Since an abortion is a medical procedure - of course it does. But the right is about autonomy in making medical decisions of all kinds - not "the right to have procedure X"

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    We're not talking about whether she gets a boob job or tummy tuck - there's a second party (and often more) involved who doesn't get to vote.
    Again - you believe there is a second party. They do not. You're not going to agree on that. So do you want to see 50 more years of pounding your head on that wall during which there will be 50+ million more abortions, or perhaps re-assess, reset, and try a different approach?

In marriage - they often say, "do you want to be right -or do you want to be happy."
    In this case, the question would be "do you want to be right, or do you want to reduce the rate of abortions?"
    Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-09-2019, 05:28 PM.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Since an abortion is a medical procedure - of course it does. But the right is about autonomy medical decision making of all kinds - not "the right to have procedure X"
      Most procedures don't have as their primary purpose the death of a human life.

Again - you believe there is a second party. They do not. You're not going to agree on that.
      I don't care if they believe little blue men are coursing through their veins. The science is on the side of there being another human life involved, particularly beyond your goofy "blob of tissue" phase.

So 50 more years of trying to make them agree with you and 50+ million more abortions n the meantime, or perhaps re-assess, reset, and try a different approach?
      A) With apologies to Adlai Stevenson - I am prepared to fight for the truth until Hell freezes over, if that is your decision. I am also prepared to present the evidence in this room.
      2) Come here and let me smack you on your big empty head*! I'm not just "beating my head against the wall", I'm actively involved in the ministry of helping young women decide not to kill their babies.

Meanwhile, every time you post, you kill a dozen children! (see how STUPID that sounds?)

*calm down, folks, CP is playing
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Most procedures don't have as their primary purpose the death of a human life.
        Let me repeat - for those really slow.... a life they don't agree exists... so...50 more years?

I don't care if they believe little blue men are coursing through their veins. The science is on the side of there being another human life involved, particularly beyond your goofy "blob of tissue" phase.
        OK - so 50 more years it is. Congrats

A) With apologies to Adlai Stevenson - I am prepared to fight for the truth until Hell freezes over, if that is your decision. I am also prepared to present the evidence in this room.
        You must have a REALLY happy marriage...

2) Come here and let me smack you on your big empty head*! I'm not just "beating my head against the wall", I'm actively involved in the ministry of helping young women decide not to kill their babies.
        And when you die, you can congratulate yourself on the tens or hundreds you've saved in smug satisfaction. You'll have won the skirmish - and lost the war.

Meanwhile, every time you post, you kill a dozen children! (see how STUPID that sounds?)

*calm down, folks, CP is playing
        Actually, in the time it takes me to write this (about 3 minutes), statistically, there were two more abortions in the U.S. My posting today won't change that. Your posting today won't change that.

- Continuing the war means that in 50 years, in the time it takes to post a 3 minute message, 2 children will probably still die.
        - Ending the war and looking for solutions means 50 years from now, maybe it will be one child each hour, or one each day, or one each week.

See how perfectly rational that sounds?

And you know what is even better? You can do that AND fight the local skirmish!
        And you can even continue to belief it's a life!
        Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-09-2019, 05:45 PM.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Let me repeat - for those really slow.... a life they don't agree exists... so...50 more years?
          Let me ignore the rest of your post really fast. The Truth is worth standing for, Carpe - til I die.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Let me ignore the rest of your post really fast. The Truth is worth standing for, Carpe - til I die.
            Bummer for you. It had some REALLY good lines!

Comment

Bummer for you. It had some REALLY good lines!
              Wife wants me to take her for some Mexican food.... see there? No racism here! Maybe I'll ignore it more carefully when I get back.

Comment

• The more I think about it, the more I think CP's analogy with Israel and Palistine is pretty on the nose. You can't compromise with people trying to kill babies. The only compromise you could make would be to allow them to kill more babies. They already are doing that. How would you compromise with someone who already has what they want and would just gladly accept you allowing them to kill without complaint. What would they give you in return? Nothing.

Comment

Wife wants me to take her for some Mexican food.... see there? No racism here! Maybe I'll ignore it more carefully when I get back.
                  I get to have Mexican AGAIN today for lunch!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    The more I think about it, the more I think CP's analogy with Israel and Palistine is pretty on the nose. You can't compromise with people trying to kill babies. The only compromise you could make would be to allow them to kill more babies. They already are doing that. How would you compromise with someone who already has what they want and would just gladly accept you allowing them to kill without complaint. What would they give you in return? Nothing.
                    And, in light of the holocaust, it's understandable that the Jews can't compromise on threats of being "wiped from the face of the earth". It's not just an empty threat - it's been tried!

The Jews can't compromise on allowing percentages of themselves to be murdered. We can't compromise on dead babies.

The liberals can, in some cases, compromise on when this killing happens.
                    Since Carpe is determined that the early stages of a baby's life are spent as a "blob of tissues", why can't the liberals agree "OK, after it's passed its 'blob of tissues' phase, no abortion"?

But you even have some of the liberals allowing the killing right up to and AFTER birth!

Comment

• Based on recent history, any compromise with progressives is a dumb strategy that only results in losing ever more ground. They refuse to agree to live and let live, or to agree to differ.
                      ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                        Based on recent history, any compromise with progressives is a dumb strategy that only results in losing ever more ground. They refuse to agree to live and let live, or to agree to differ.
                        I think Reagan and O'Neil were the last of the masters of compromise - but like Lindsey Graham says, maybe we need more drinking in the White House!

Comment

• Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
                          Based on recent history, any compromise with progressives is a dumb strategy that only results in losing ever more ground. They refuse to agree to live and let live, or to agree to differ.
                          Yep. Like Gay Marriage. "We only want what you straight people have, a chance to be happy. It doesn't affect you at all" - but then when they get it, they start shoving it in eveyrone's faces, suing Christian cake companies and venues, forcing everyone to accept their lifestyle and support it. And if you disagree with their lifestyle in any way you are a bigot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Yep. Like Gay Marriage. "We only want what you straight people have, a chance to be happy. It doesn't affect you at all" - but then when they get it, they start shoving it in eveyrone's faces, suing Christian cake companies and venues, forcing everyone to accept their lifestyle and support it. And if you disagree with their lifestyle in any way you are a bigot.
                            Or FREE SPEECH!!!

Before: We just want our voices to be heard
                            Now: SHUT UP or you're going to JAIL!

Comment

Reminds me an exchange from the Adams family (some parts trimmed out):

Girl Scout: Is [your lemonade] made from real lemons? I only like all natural foods and beverages. Are you sure they're real lemons?
                              Pugsley Addams: Yes.
                              Girl Scout: Well, I'll tell you what. I'll buy a cup if you buy a box of my delicious girl scout cookies. Do we have a deal?
                              Wednesday Addams: Are they made from real Girl Scouts?

I was going to do that with your post, but "I hope your meal was made with real Mexicans" sounded really bad, especially in this day and age...

Comment

And, in light of the holocaust, it's understandable that the Jews can't compromise on threats of being "wiped from the face of the earth". It's not just an empty threat - it's been tried!

The Jews can't compromise on allowing percentages of themselves to be murdered. We can't compromise on dead babies.

The liberals can, in some cases, compromise on when this killing happens.
                                Since Carpe is determined that the early stages of a baby's life are spent as a "blob of tissues", why can't the liberals agree "OK, after it's passed its 'blob of tissues' phase, no abortion"?

But you even have some of the liberals allowing the killing right up to and AFTER birth!
                                First, I already noted the flaw in your Palestine/Jewish analogy. Second, your last statement is a false right-wing meme/trope that has been circled around now for a while, based on a (willful?) misinterpretation of a comment made about a law that was recently the center of the news cycle.

Comment