Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

There Was Spying On The Trump Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    contextually, you can't split the two phrases - they function together to create a single idea.

Jim
    Simply not true, and I'm surprised you'd propose such a silly notion --- it's quite possible for Donald Trump NOT to be an innocent fellow AND the Democrats to be mean.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Legally, Trump is innocent for the very simple reason that one is innocent unless they are proven guilty, and there is no valid reason to subpoena his tax returns. And, no, "We want to see what he's hiding" is not a good reason. What reason is there to think that Trump is hiding anything, especially when he has complied with the law with his financial disclosure reports?

You conspiracy nuts are acting like there's going to be a line in Trump's tax returns labeled "Bribes received from Vladimir Putin", and then you'll be able to say, "Ah-ha! We finally got him!"

So what? It's still none of our business.
      You are nothing if not predictable. I agree with you that as an isolated element, applied to the average presidential wanna-be or victor, wanting to know if they are hiding something is not a valid reason to subpoena their taxes.

But I disagree with trying to play Donald Trump as fitting that bill.

With Donald Trump there is a whole lot more that going on, a lot that points to there is a problem. It will be up to the powers that be to decide of the 'whole lot more going on' warrants a subpoena, but I tend to think it does.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Simply not true, and I'm surprised you'd propose such a silly notion --- it's quite possible for Donald Trump NOT to be an innocent fellow AND the Democrats to be mean.
        Why yes, that is true. But the meaning of the statement does not allow for them to be commented on as parts, if you do that, the meaning is lost.

IOW, the element of meaning that is sacrificed by separating them is that if Donald trump is innocent then there would be no possible justification for their actions other than meanness. Or conversely, if he is not innocent, they might very well be justified in their actions and those actions do not indicate meanness.

Jim

Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-17-2019, 04:06 PM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

So what? It's still none of our business.

That is YOUR opinion. Nearly all the presidents that have gone before him would disagree with you on that point.

Those presidents gave us their taxes because THEY believed it WAS our business.

This principle motivating these other presidents is sometime called being transparent, sometimes called being above board, and is also sourced in the admonition to avoid even the appearance of evil.

Jim
          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-17-2019, 04:00 PM.

Comment

That is YOUR opinion. Nearly all the presidents that have gone before him would disagree with you on that point.
            They may have provided them because they thought it was politically beneficial for them to do so not because they liked the idea.

And you might want to re-think your "Nearly all the presidents that have gone before him" statement. Do you think you could provide the income tax records for any of them prior to say 1912?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Why yes, that is true. But the meaning of the statement does not allow for them to be commented on as parts, if you do that, the meaning is lost.
              IMOHBA opinion, there was no real meaning to begin with, because it was based on a goofy premise.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                They may have provided them because they thought it was politically beneficial for them to do so not because they liked the idea.

And you might want to re-think your "Nearly all the presidents that have gone before him" statement. Do you think you could provide the income tax records for any of them prior to say 1912?
                You are correct. I lazily did not add 'since 1976', which is the typical statistic that is quoted to show trump out of sync with what is expected by the public of anyone holding the office of Peesident.

I doubt anyone would want to make their tax returns public. It is a sacrifice these other presidents were willing to make as part of their role as a public servant (sort of anyway). Oddly enough, the practice started with Nixon, which does make clear the very limited scope of the act itself. It just means they are willing to be transparent about their finances.

OTOH, NOT being willing to be transparent about ones finances is like a little blinking arrow saying "Look here first for problems".

Jim
                Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-17-2019, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmuddle View Post
                  With Donald Trump there is a whole lot more that going on...
                  Not according to any evidence we have. You keep asking, "What's he trying to hide! " when by all accounts, the answer is, nothing.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

That is YOUR opinion.
                    Yes, informed by the fact that nobody has any legal obligation to see Trump's tax returns.

As for transparency, that's what the legally required financial disclosure reports are for. They're public record, too, so go look them up if you're so hot and bothered about the President's finances.

Comment

Yes, informed by the fact that nobody has any legal obligation to see Trump's tax returns.

As for transparency, that's what the legally required financial disclosure reports are for. They're public record, too, so go look them up if you're so hot and bothered about the President's finances.
                      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Not really. The MSM seems incapable of handling more than one major story at a time.
                        Feel free any time to engage at a level above 4th grade ...

Comment

Not according to any evidence we have. You keep asking, "What's he trying to hide! " when by all accounts, the answer is, nothing.
                          Dismissal appears to be your primary mode. The list of bad deeds he's managed to avoid paying the consequences for is fairly long. Likewise the list of shady deals. Im sure he's emboldened by people such as yourself willing to overlook all that and pretend it is 'nothing', but that doesn't change the fact the man is about as corrupt as they come.

And only a fool would act on the assumption there is nothing in his taxes he needs to hide

Jim

Comment

Feel free any time to engage at a level above 4th grade ...
                            Feel free to continue being a judgmental grumpy old fart.

Comment

Feel free to continue being a judgmental grumpy old fart.
                              As you wish

Comment

Dismissal appears to be your primary mode. The list of bad deeds he's managed to avoid paying the consequences for is fairly long. Likewise the list of shady deals. Im sure he's emboldened by people such as yourself willing to overlook all that and pretend it is 'nothing', but that doesn't change the fact the man is about as corrupt as they come.
                                So no specifics, just the usual
                                "Orange man bad! " mantra.

Comment