Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Transgender sprinters finish 1st, 2nd at Connecticut girls indoor track championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thormas View Post
    Human life is not black and white but actually is complicated and we must tread carefully where human lives are impacted.
    Alright, so what is your defense for negatively impacting the life of a man who calls himself a woman by saying that he should be denied the right to compete against women? You have appealed to "fairness" without ever explaining how this is fair to the one being unfairly discriminated against. Or perhaps you are implicitly conceding the point that men can't be women.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

So you believe that it is okay for a woman to be forced into a situation where she will always come in second place to a man. Got it.

Maybe I should let you and thormas duke this one out.
      A clumsy attempt to dodge the issue but then again it is complicated.

You argue out of both sides of your mouth and I noticed you didn't deny your own acceptance of transgendered woman in competition with women.

Comment

A clumsy attempt to dodge the issue but then again it is complicated.

You argue out of both sides of your mouth and I noticed you didn't deny your own acceptance of transgendered woman in competition with women.
        Try reading the whole thread if you want to know what I believe, but here it is in simple terms: Men can not be women and should not be allowed to compete against women.

You're the one arguing that men can be women, but they should not be allowed to compete against women. This is a contradictory position, a "dilemma", as you put it, but you have so far not even come close to resolving it.

Comment

Alright, so what is your defense for negatively impacting the life of a man who calls himself a woman by saying that he should be denied the right to compete against women? You have appealed to "fairness" without ever explaining how this is fair to the one being unfairly discriminated against. Or perhaps you are implicitly conceding the point that men can't be women.
          My point is not to offer a defense but to hold two ideas at the same time (try it): the acceptance of transgender people and the recognition that both sides have good arguments in a very complicated arenas of sports.

Answer my question though.

Comment

My point is not to offer a defense but to hold two ideas at the same time...
            In this case, you are holding two contradictory ideas at the same time, better known as cognitive dissonance. I have noticed that this doesn't seem to bother liberals in the slightest.

In this case, you are saying that a man can be a for real women if he says so and should be regarded as equal to women in all areas except competitive sports. But why should competitive sports be the exception?

Comment

Yet it is complicated as all but the simpleminded would recognize :+}

Human life is not black and white but actually is complicated and we must tread carefully where human lives are impacted.
              Sorry, this isn't all that complicated.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Actually some of us are wise enough to realize that human life is complicated and more nuance that others can ever allow.

Or, in simpler terms, it is not always black and white.
                That is just silly. It is clear - a biological man can not become a woman, and no one is rationally compelled to accept such claims.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

That is just silly. It is clear - a biological man can not become a woman, and no one is rationally compelled to accept such claims.
                  thormas accepts that a man can be a for real woman in all areas except sports where the man who calls himself a woman has an unfair advantage because he's really a man. thormas calls this a complex and nuanced position. I call it utter nonsense.

Comment

So you believe that it is okay for a woman to be forced into a situation where she will always come in second place to a man. Got it.
                    Here's a clue - when you try to tell someone what they believe, you are invariably wrong.

As you are this time, since nothing I said states, implies or suggests what you claim.

In fact, I have stated the direct opposite - but it's much easier to make up something insulting about us atheists than to actually address the positions we actually hold, isn't it?

America - too good to let the conservatives drag it back to 1950.

Comment

• Originally posted by Electric Septic View Post
                      As you are this time, since nothing I said states, implies or suggests what you claim.
                      You scoffed at the idea that it is subjugation to allow men to dominate women's sports and force women into a situation where their best will only ever be second best. The implication is that you do not disapprove of men competing against women.

Comment

• Originally posted by Electric Skeptic View Post
                        Here's a clue - when you try to tell someone what they believe, you are invariably wrong.

In fact, I have stated the direct opposite - but it's much easier to make up something insulting about us atheists than to actually address the positions we actually hold, isn't it?
                        So when someone tells me that they're really a dog or a cat then I'm wrong if I disagree. Or if they truly believe that if they jump off a building that they can fly on their own without the assistance of mechanical devices like a jet pack, I'm invariably wrong if I disagree.

Good to know.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You scoffed at the idea that it is subjugation to allow men to dominate women's sports and force women into a situation where their best will only ever be second best. The implication is that you do not disapprove of men competing against women.
                          Back to being a nine year old again? Goodbye.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            So when someone tells me that they're really a dog or a cat then I'm wrong if I disagree. Or if they truly believe that if they jump off a building that they can fly on their own without the assistance of mechanical devices like a jet pack, I'm invariably wrong if I disagree.
                            If you say so. Since I nowhere said anythign that remotely implies or suggests such nonsense, I've no idea why your'e telling me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Electric Septic View Post
                              Back to being a nine year old again? Goodbye.
                              Because running away is easier than trying to defend your self-defeating argument.

Comment

I am not defending anything. I'm simply holding two ideas at the same time: I accept that some individuals believe they are born a woman in a man's body (and vice versa). And I defer to science and medicine both of which are involved in studies for insight into all the issues and questions surrounding this phenomena. I also can see that some trans women have a seeming advantage over other women and I can see how this causes difficulty and conflict in at least the sports arena. I also see how and why the trans woman wants to and believes she has a right to compete.I don't have an answer (don't believe I said I did) but transsexuality is a reality in the lives of many as is its impact on sports. Simple.

That you are incapable of holding more than one thought at a time and have an obvious prejudice (religious?) against transsexuality also seems obvious.
                                Last edited by thormas; 01-24-2021, 09:07 AM.

Comment