Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Ed Markey to unveil 'Green New Deal' bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Source: New York Post

https://nypost.com/2019/03/03/ocasio...-in-the-world/

© Copyright Original Source

Obviously that prospect of "a better future" isn't enough to compel her to change her lifestyle now. Makes you wonder how much she really believes what she says.
    Leading by example seems to be an alien concept.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• 00000000000000ab000-01b.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        50% of my children rejected God, but Praise Him, 100% of them are in the fold and serving Him.
        Yeah I think most if no all of my granpa's kids eventually accepted Christ. Some actually because my dad did after his stroke. They figured that if God could reach him, he must be real!

Comment

• The Green Raw Deal was rejected by the Senate, 0-57. The majority of the Democrats voted "present"

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...solution-0-57/
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The Green Raw Deal was rejected by the Senate, 0-57. The majority of the Democrats voted "present"

I hope you don't have any plans after 2028!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The Green Raw Deal was rejected by the Senate, 0-57. The majority of the Democrats voted "present"

So not even any of its numerous co-sponsors would actually vote for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                I saw one guy on TV (I think he might have been some governor) claim that the GND wasn't meant to be a bill, but just an aspirational goal, something to strive for, that is why the democrats didn't vote on it.

They didn't vote for it because it is a nightmare of nonsense that they know could never get off the ground without bankrupting the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Some Democrats are claiming that they voted "present" as a form of protest because McConnell called for a vote without scheduling any hearings, but I'm having trouble understanding the logic behind this.

Comment

Some Democrats are claiming that they voted "present" as a form of protest because McConnell called for a vote without scheduling any hearings, but I'm having trouble understanding the logic behind this.
                    So they don't end up on AOC's "list"
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

• Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      So they don't end up on AOC's "list"
                      If that was the case then why didn't they take this opportunity to put their name on an official record as being in favor of the proposal?

Comment

If that was the case then why didn't they take this opportunity to put their name on an official record as being in favor of the proposal?
                        Because then they would have ticked off their constituents. These are politicians. They won't commit to anything unless they are sure they will come out on top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          I saw one guy on TV (I think he might have been some governor) claim that the GND wasn't meant to be a bill, but just an aspirational goal, something to strive for, that is why the democrats didn't vote on it.

They didn't vote for it because it is a nightmare of nonsense that they know could never get off the ground without bankrupting the country.
                          They knew if they voted for it they would be blasted for that vote when they run for reelection.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Because then they would have ticked off their constituents. These are politicians. They won't commit to anything unless they are sure they will come out on top.
                            I know. My point is that claiming that they voted "present" as a protest doesn't make any sense.
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 03-27-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I know. My point is that claiming that voted "present" as a protest doesn't make any sense.
                              Voting "present" is simply code for "I don't have the guts to vote against this insanity, but I don't want to decrease my vote count on issues". One of the ways politicians are attacked in their local districts is "the guy was only there for 36% of the votes!"

Example - Here Are the House Members Who Have Skipped Votes This Lame-Duck Session

A "not voted" is synonymous with "didn't show up for work".

Comment

I know. My point is that claiming that they voted "present" as a protest doesn't make any sense.
                                That way they can sit on the fence. They are not offending AOC nor their constituents. It is a weasel vote.

Comment