Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

�INSULTING TO ISLAM� Thousands of Muslims demand Nike recall �offensive� Air Max trai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
    I have pointed out that different interpretations exist and have existed and that they differ to a large extent...
    That's only a problem if you assume that all interpretations are on equal footing, but since you claim to reject that premise then there's no problem.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      That's only a problem if you assume that all interpretations are on equal footing, but since you claim to reject that premise then there's no problem.
      That is where you make it way too simple. Your response makes it quite obvious that you are still not aware that you yourself are basing your views on interpretations even when you think you are just readings words that have a particular meaning.

Different interpretations exist in all forms and sorts. The fact that so many people reading the Bible intensely understand it in very different ways shows this very clearly. The point is that though some interpretations are very hard to justify quite many other interpretations are though they contradict each other. Jeff Sessions and Sanders tried to make the case that the family separations were justified by the Bible while others have called it clearly unchristian. Some claim you have to believe in a litteral interpretation of Genesis while others claim that is wrong. Quite many different ideas on the relation between the new and the old testament exist. As can be easily seen on tweb - there are quite many things on which Christians disagree. And history proves the point to a much larger extent. To believe one is just reading the clear message is very, very naive. To become aware of the level of interpretation involved is very important.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
        That is where you make it way too simple. Your response makes it quite obvious that you are still not aware that you yourself are basing your views on interpretations even when you think you are just readings words that have a particular meaning.
        In that case, it would be your burden to show that, for example, Luther's interpretation is more correct than the one I hold to.

Hop to it!

Comment

In that case, it would be your burden to show that, for example, Luther's interpretation is more correct than the one I hold to.

Hop to it!
          I never claimed it was. And you conveniently skipped all the stuff that you find in the grey zones:

The point is that though some interpretations are very hard to justify quite many other interpretations are though they contradict each other. Jeff Sessions and Sanders tried to make the case that the family separations were justified by the Bible while others have called it clearly unchristian. Some claim you have to believe in a litteral interpretation of Genesis while others claim that is wrong. Quite many different ideas on the relation between the new and the old testament exist. As can be easily seen on tweb - there are quite many things on which Christians disagree. And history proves the point to a much larger extent. To believe one is just reading the clear message is very, very naive. To become aware of the level of interpretation involved is very important.

Comment

I never claimed [Luther's interpretation was more correct than traditional views].
            Then why did you bring it up?

Comment

...because, in his view, all that matters is that someone, somewhen, found it to be a reasonable interpretation.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

He's a troll who tries to use every thread as a platform to attack Christianity. But I'll bet you already knew that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  ...because, in his view, all that matters is that someone, somewhen, found it to be a reasonable interpretation.
                  Oh, I know, but as I said, that's only a problem if you assume that all interpretations are on equal footing, but since Chuck claims to reject that premise then there's no problem.

Comment

Oh, I know, but as I said, that's only a problem if you assume that all interpretations are on equal footing, but since Chuck claims to reject that premise then there's no problem.
                    I don't see why one needs to make that assumption to make it a problem.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I don't see why one needs to make that assumption to make it a problem.
                      Because it doesn't matter if there are dozens of suggested interpretations if the range for a correct interpretation is narrow.

Comment

That is where you make it way too simple.
                        He's trying to explain it in a way you'll understand.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So you conveniently ignored the fact that those ideas were also present in the nazi era. And those old quotes were from a Christian who has been very important for protestantism and played a huge role in church history. To try to make the case that pointing to that is hateful or trolling is simply lack of understanding of church history.
                          Your complaints about Christianity in a thread about Islam is just whataboutism Chuck. Take your off topic rant somewhere else.

Comment

Because it doesn't matter if there are dozens of suggested interpretations if the range for a correct interpretation is narrow.
                            How does that follow?
                            sigpic

Comment

How does that follow?
                              Once we've narrowed down the range of potentially correct interpretations then we can dismiss all the obviously incorrect interpretations, even if they were to number in the dozens.

Comment

Once we've narrowed down the range of potentially correct interpretations then we can dismiss all the obviously incorrect interpretations, even if they were to number in the dozens.
                                But they're not obviously incorrect to everybody if someone holds them.
                                sigpic

Comment