Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Question of Respect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    again, you are wrong. The school itself can't officially endorse a specific candidate. The staff and students can support whatever candidate they want.
    It appears that part of the problem is that Taxxman has had irrelevant stuffed "drummed into him" by his "(Anglican) Church School in Sydney". Since Australia does not have an equivalent "First Amendment" right to free speech, they were programming the little control freak with propaganda that does NOT apply to the US.

Do we have the right to freedom of speech in Australia?

Look at Cow Poke. He is definitely speaking his political mind, and he is a preacher. He just can't get up on the pulpit and preach "This church officially supports Trump! You have to vote for Trump! Clinton is Satan's pet!" or any such nonsense in an official capacity. Once he steps down from that pulpit, he can be Mr. Cow Poke and say anything he wants to politically. And members of his church are free to express their opinions too. They can even wear MAGA hats to church if they want. Same with religious schools. The school can't endorse a candidate, but the students can, and the staff can too as long as they are not at work.
    Correct - my concern for the people is their spiritual life, not their political life.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      It appears that part of the problem is that Taxxman has had irrelevant stuffed "drummed into him" by his "(Anglican) Church School in Sydney". Since Australia does not have an equivalent "First Amendment" right to free speech, they were programming the little control freak with propaganda that does NOT apply to the US.

Do we have the right to freedom of speech in Australia?

Correct - my concern for the people is their spiritual life, not their political life.
      I eagerly await Tassy's next repeat of the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I eagerly await Tassy's next repeat of the same thing.
        He kinda reminds me of ... what was his name? LDSTrue? Just keep repeating the same ol' same ol' and hoping somebody will either believe it, or weary of responding?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He kinda reminds me of ... what was his name? LDSTrue? Just keep repeating the same ol' same ol' and hoping somebody will either believe it, or weary of responding?
          Has anyone ever see Tassman say, "Oh I was wrong, thanks for letting me know?"

Comment

Jorge did that. He seemed to ardently believe that his simply making an assertion was all the evidence you needed that something was true but if need be he'd keep repeating it thinking saying it again was equivalent to providing corroborating evidence.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I have a Question for you Cow Poke. I am ignorant of the tax laws for Churches.

I though that a Church was under a different statute then 501c's. Could you correct me on that?
              "Any sufficiently advanced technology, is indistinguishable from Magic!"
              -- Arthur C. Clark

Comment

• Originally posted by The Pendragon View Post
                I have a Question for you Cow Poke. I am ignorant of the tax laws for Churches.

I though that a Church was under a different statute then 501c's. Could you correct me on that?
                Churches are under IRS Code 501(c)3 - a nonprofit organization that has been recognized by the IRS as being tax-exempt by virtue of its charitable programs.

Comment

Churches are under IRS Code 501(c)3 - a nonprofit organization that has been recognized by the IRS as being tax-exempt by virtue of its charitable programs.
                  Thank you for correcting my mis-understanding.
                  -- Arthur C. Clark

Comment

Thank you for correcting my mis-understanding.
                    You bet - unfortunately, the tax exempt status is being so blatantly misused that I wouldn't be surprised if it was ended in the not-so-distant future. It is already under attack.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/chariti...s-and-politics except when they are on an officially sponsored school field trip, where they are in effect acting as representatives of their Church School. That was certainly drummed into me at my (Anglican) Church School in Sydney.
                      Tass,
                      I will ignore what you learned in Sidney, because it is Australian Law and does not apply in the U.S. Tax Code. Others have already explained about individual rights and done away with your exception to free speech, because the students where on a field trip. They represent themselves and not the school.

I would ask you to read all the full posts, so that you don't make your self look bad by repeating arguments that have been disproven. You miss this in my posts and you miss an important definition in the 501c statue posted by Cow Poke -

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Here is the factual information from the IRS. Please note it has no reference whatsoever to kids wearing hats on field trips.
                      To clarify, The IRS published Revenue Ruling 2007-41, which says, in part...

Individual Activity by Organization Leaders

The political campaign intervention prohibition is not intended to restrict free expression on political matters by leaders of organizations speaking for themselves, as individuals. Nor are leaders prohibited from speaking about important issues of public policy. However, for their organizations to remain tax exempt under section 501(c)(3), leaders cannot make partisan comments in official organization publications or at official functions of the organization.
                      I've quoted the relevant part of the statute it identifies the Leaders of the 501c as the one that represent the organizations not the members (or in our case the students). i.e. the students don't represent the 501c only the leaders do.

Tass,
                      do have another thing I'm curious about. This tread is supposed to be about how you feel about the incident surrounding the Covington High School students and their interaction between Native American activist Nathan Phillips and the Black Hebrew Israelites. Now that we know that the Covington Students where the victims of brutal hate speech from the Black Hebrew Israelites and vicious lie from Nathan Phillips.

Why aren't you condemning the two group trying to instigate a fight and instead choosing to cast the victims as the ones in the wrong?
                      Are you trying to say at they where the ones to instigate all the hate aimed at them and they deserved all that hate?
                      Are you one of those people that want to blame victims for the crimes perpetrated on them?

The liberals tend to use silence as complacency. Is you silence in condemning the radical hate groups that attacked the Covington Students and the attack on the students for wearing MEGA Hats your approval of the bullies and abusers and a condemnation of the victims?
                      -- Arthur C. Clark

Comment

• It seems that the left wing may fall foul of the laws they wanted put in place to persecute and control others. Kind of a Game-of-Thrones-esque development, that.
                        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                        Scripture before Tradition:
                        but that won't prevent others from
                        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Tass,
                          I will ignore what you learned in Sidney, because it is Australian Law and does not apply in the U.S. Tax Code. Others have already explained about individual rights and done away with your exception to free speech, because the students where on a field trip. They represent themselves and not the school.

I would ask you to read all the full posts, so that you don't make your self look bad by repeating arguments that have been disproven. You miss this in my posts and you miss an important definition in the 501c statue posted by Cow Poke -

I've quoted the relevant part of the statute it identifies the Leaders of the 501c as the one that represent the organizations not the members (or in our case the students). i.e. the students don't represent the 501c only the leaders do.

Tass,
                          do have another thing I'm curious about. This tread is supposed to be about how you feel about the incident surrounding the Covington High School students and their interaction between Native American activist Nathan Phillips and the Black Hebrew Israelites. Now that we know that the Covington Students where the victims of brutal hate speech from the Black Hebrew Israelites and vicious lie from Nathan Phillips.

Why aren't you condemning the two group trying to instigate a fight and instead choosing to cast the victims as the ones in the wrong?
                          Are you trying to say at they where the ones to instigate all the hate aimed at them and they deserved all that hate?
                          Are you one of those people that want to blame victims for the crimes perpetrated on them?

The liberals tend to use silence as complacency. Is you silence in condemning the radical hate groups that attacked the Covington Students and the attack on the students for wearing MEGA Hats your approval of the bullies and abusers and a condemnation of the victims?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It is not the job of the Church School to trample on the constitutionally guaranteed rights of their students to free speech. In fact, they could be in serious trouble if they did.
                            How did you become such a control freak? Usually, this is a characteristic I find in men who have no legitimate authority in their personal or work lives.

Comment

• Tassman's debate strategy: Troll. Rinse. Repeat.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tass
                                As a consequence of their behaviour, the students brought irrational threats upon themselves
                                So it's ok to blame the victim, then. That will hold true for every wrong done to anyone, then. Including sexual assault victims, then.

Got it.
                                Last edited by mossrose; 02-26-2019, 10:59 AM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment