Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Jerry Falwell's two kingdoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
    Jerry was not talking about Christian charity from an individual Christian's perspective. Jesus was. You're taking what both of them were saying out of context.
    Do you think Jesus would have advocated for a government that reflected his view on charity, or no?

A government's responsibility is to help where it can. Has nothing to do with selfishness, or me personally for that matter.
    Oh, yes it does have to do with you my friend, it's just not something you care to believe.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Do you think Jesus would have advocated for a government....
      That you even think to ask this sort of question shows your abysmal level of ignorance.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        That you even think to ask this sort of question shows your abysmal level of ignorance.
        Well, instead of just being arrogant, tell me why?

Comment

Jesus calls for personal responsibility, not governmental responsibility. When he spoke of government, he said things like "my kingdom is not of this world" and "render to ceasar the things that are caesar's."

That said, morally perfect candidates are rarer than hens' teeth; in voting, I have to go with the least worst option. This has been the case with every single vote I've cast. Those who advocate for the legal slaughter of the unborn are especially unlikely to get my vote. Far more lives are ruthlessly ended (usually in horrific fasion) by abortion than any other government-sanctioned infidelity to scripture. Trump, as deeply morally flawed as he is, is an angel compared to your average abortion "doctor".
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Jesus calls for personal responsibility, not governmental responsibility. When he spoke of government, he said things like "my kingdom is not of this world" and "render to ceasar the things that are caesar's."
            So what, the one doesn't negate the other, and some would argue that the kind of government that one supports, myself included, is a personal responsibility.
            That said, morally perfect candidates are rarer than hens' teeth;
            Morally perfect anybody's are rarer than hens teeth, but then again I didn't even mention anything about that.

in voting, I have to go with the least worst option.
            Apparently you think your in another thread.

This has been the case with every single vote I've cast. Those who advocate for the legal slaughter of the unborn are especially unlikely to get my vote.
            Oh, I see where you're going now, the old stand by."I don't have to care about those who we all agree are living breathing individuals, because I care about the abortion of what I believe to be individuals." Right?

Far more lives are ruthlessly ended (usually in horrific fasion) by abortion than any other government-sanctioned infidelity to scripture. Trump, as deeply morally flawed as he is, is an angel compared to your average abortion "doctor".
            Actually I was refering to the kind of government we choose to establish and live under, not the particular politicians.
            Last edited by JimL; 01-07-2019, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Do you think Jesus would have advocated for a government that reflected his view on charity, or no?
              0000000000000at.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Actually he called you ignorant not arrogant but you seem to be aware that you are both

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No. Jesus didn't advocate for any form of government except the theocracy after He returns.

Oh, yes it does have to do with you my friend, it's just not something you care to believe.
                  I don't personally dictate to the government what they spend their money on. I can make my voice heard among the sea of voices with a vote and civic action, but no, government spending has nothing to do with my personal spending habits.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

So what, the one doesn't negate the other, and some would argue that the kind of government that one supports, myself included, is a personal responsibility.
                    You to have missed the implication of the two direct quotes I gave.
                    Morally perfect anybody's are rarer than hens teeth, but then again I didn't even mention anything about that.
                    Yes, I assumed incorrectly that you were attempting to make a sensible argument.
                    Apparently you think your in another thread.
                    Nope.
                    Oh, I see where you're going now, the old stand by."I don't have to care about those who we all agree are living breathing individuals, because I care about the abortion of what I believe to be individuals." Right?
                    This is wrong on so many accounts it almost has to be deliberate. Pro tip: If you want to successfully combat someone's position, you need to first be able to represent it accurately.
                    Actually I was refering to the kind of government we choose to establish and live under, not the particular politicians.
                    The only people who have any ability to choose to establish and live under a particular government are successful revolutionaries, Jim. Jesus took a dim view of revolution. Use your noggin for more than a hat rack, eh?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Actually he called you ignorant not arrogant but you seem to be aware that you are both
                      I didn't accuse him of calling me arrogant. Got to deal with that reading comprehension problem there rogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                        No. Jesus didn't advocate for any form of government except the theocracy after He returns.
                        Nice spin. That's not what I asked. Your non answer says it all.

I don't personally dictate to the government what they spend their money on. I can make my voice heard among the sea of voices with a vote and civic action, but no, government spending has nothing to do with my personal spending habits.
                        Yes we do dictate it when we vote for those whose principles we support. You vote for republicans who are anti a government that taxes and spends in order to make life better for all it's citizens in favor of one that says to hell with the losers, let them die and decrease the surplus population.

Comment

You to have missed the implication of the two direct quotes I gave.

Yes, I assumed incorrectly that you were attempting to make a sensible argument.

Nope.

This is wrong on so many accounts it almost has to be deliberate. Pro tip: If you want to successfully combat someone's position, you need to first be able to represent it accurately.

The only people who have any ability to choose to establish and live under a particular government are successful revolutionaries, Jim. Jesus took a dim view of revolution. Use your noggin for more than a hat rack, eh?
                          Wrong. You have the ability by to choose how your governed by voting for it. You chose Trump and the republican party.

Comment

Not only is the sentence structure corrupt, but it pales in comparison to the idiotic birdbrained jackassery that it reveals.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Wrong. You have the ability by to choose how your governed by voting for it. You chose Trump and the republican party.
                              Jim, it would help if you could keep your own argument straight. You JUST TOLD ME that you did NOT have voting for people in mind.
                              sigpic

Comment

Jim, it would help if you could keep your own argument straight. You JUST TOLD ME that you did NOT have voting for people in mind.
                                You definitely have reading comprehension problems there, little piggy.

Comment