Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Having worked in sales for Orkin Pest Control (and having a 75% successful close rate on leads I may add) several decades ago, I can tell you that closing off access is one of the most important factors in keeping invasive pests from entering.

But Trump has never claimed that putting up a barrier was THE SOLUTION
    As I said, Rogue - closing off access is a tool - but not the only tool. As for the issue of the wall, I think the parties have their panties in a bunch over semantics. "Wall" is being interpreted as Trump's "all-concrete barrier." Trump goes back and forth about what he means, leaving pretty much everyone guessing. I have seen little evidence that the Democratic leaders are against securing the border, including a barrier. What they are against is an open checkbook for sinking massive amounts of money into an unnecessary type of barrier - the "all concrete wall."

As I have said multiple types, Mr. "I can make a deal" can't even clearly and consistently define the specifics of what he is requesting, creating confusion pretty much everywhere.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

That is indeed what your media favorites tell you.
      That is indeed what Trump does. I have followed the relationships between Trump's tweets and stories in Breitbart and Fox (and even Alex Jones) for some time now. I don't need the media to tell me that Trump is strongly influenced by them. And I don't need the media to show me how Trump pivoted from his willingness to move forward with the budget to his current stance as soon as he got trounced online and on air by the likes of Coulter, Ingraham, the Host of Fox and Friends, and Hannity, to name a few.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        As I said, Rogue - closing off access is a tool - but not the only tool.
        Why do you keep repeating something we agree on, in a tone which implies that rogue disagrees with it? Maybe deal with what rogue actually said instead of immolating strawmen next time.
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Why do you keep repeating something we agree on, in a tone which implies that rogue disagrees with it? Maybe deal with what rogue actually said instead of immolating strawmen next time.
          See Post #36

Comment

As I said, Rogue - closing off access is a tool - but not the only tool. As for the issue of the wall, I think the parties have their panties in a bunch over semantics. "Wall" is being interpreted as Trump's "all-concrete barrier." Trump goes back and forth about what he means, leaving pretty much everyone guessing. I have seen little evidence that the Democratic leaders are against securing the border, including a barrier. What they are against is an open checkbook for sinking massive amounts of money into an unnecessary type of barrier - the "all concrete wall."

As I have said multiple types, Mr. "I can make a deal" can't even clearly and consistently define the specifics of what he is requesting, creating confusion pretty much everywhere.
            And just today, Trump said "they don't want concrete, I'll give them steel".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It is common when negotiating to not lay down specifics when the sides are at this point because if the other guy does agree he may offer more than you were actually wanting. Salesmanship 101.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

See Post #36
                Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It is common when negotiating to not lay down specifics when the sides are at this point because if the other guy does agree he may offer more than you were actually wanting. Salesmanship 101.
                  Or accept less than you were willing to concede.

That, and my favorite salesmanship rule -- "when the customer says yes, stop selling!"
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

That, and my favorite salesmanship rule -- "when the customer says yes, stop selling!"
                    Being garrulous by nature that one I had to learn the hard way -- by talking my way right out of a couple sales.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Being gregarious by nature that one I had to learn the hard way -- by talking my way right out of a couple sales.
                      I once found myself selling a 64 Volkswagen to a guy, and after he agreed to the price, and was reaching into his pocket for the cash, I couldn't shut up .... "for some reason, the horn honks when you turn sharp left.... the brakes drag when it's hot out... the spare tire has an unpatchable hole in it...."

SHUT UP already!!!

(I was selling it for the same price I had paid for it 7 years earlier)

Comment

My wife has trouble with that one sometimes. She'll ask me something and have her arguments all ready to go in case I say no, but if I answer yes, she starts presenting her arguments anyway.

"But why are you arguing? I just said yes."
                        "Because these arguments are too good to waste!"
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          My wife has trouble with that one sometimes. She'll ask me something and have her arguments all ready to go in case I say no, but if I answer yes, she starts presenting her arguments anyway.

"But why are you arguing? I just said yes."
                          "Because these arguments are too good to waste!"
                          Or I let my wife make her case, point by point, like she just did for buying a particular new sewing machine, and when she's finally done making her case, "yeah, I ordered it for you yesterday .

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me how so many of those on the left are utterly befuddled and mystified when Trump employs what are essentially basic business practices.

Comment

President Trump will address the nation from the Oval Office at 9pm on Tuesday, January 8. Apparently some networks are debating whether or not to carry the address, which pretty much proves that everything that Trump says about media bias is true.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

It never ceases to amaze me how so many of those on the left are utterly befuddled and mystified when Trump employs what are essentially basic business practices.
                                I'll let those on the left respond.

Comment