Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

National Emergency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And you make it seem like it's all on me that I say something about it, when you just can't let it go.

Like here....

So this "I'd prefer to return to the original discussion" is AFTER you keep it going and "carry on" about your intentions.
    Yes - I am guilty of spending too much time trying to explain myself. It's a trap I need to be better about keeping clear of and just let people say what they will. I'll work on it.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      Yes - I am guilty of spending too much time trying to explain myself. It's a trap I need to be better about keeping clear of and just let people say what they will. I'll work on it.
      Work on what?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Work on what?
        Letting people have their opinions about me and leaving them unresponded to.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• CNN's Jim Acosta scores an own-goal with a report near part of our secure border where he says, "Nope, there's no national emergency here."

Yeah, Jim, that's kinda the point.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...e-theres-wall/
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Sarah Sanders: "When I went with President @realDonaldTrump to the border today I never imagined @Acosta would be there doing our job for us and so clearly explaining why WALLS WORK. Thanks Jim!"

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
              Letting people have their opinions about me and leaving them unresponded to.
              I know. Just wanted to respond.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Sarah Sanders: "When I went with President @realDonaldTrump to the border today I never imagined @Acosta would be there doing our job for us and so clearly explaining why WALLS WORK. Thanks Jim!"

And Acosta is going back to his producer asking "what did I say?"

Comment

And Acosta is going back to his producer asking "what did I say?"
                  "Wait, let me go back and do it again! I'll get it right this time!"

Comment

I know. Just wanted to respond.
                    OK....

Comment

• San Diego TV station: CNN declined our 'local view' because of reports on wall effectiveness

Comment

• This does not surprise me: CNN is about as strongly left and Fox is strongly right - so they should be given about as much credence.

For the record - I have never questioned that a barrier is needed - strategically. Barriers DO have an effect. However, I have strongly questioned the list of problems Trump says the barriers will solve - and I have strongly questioned the type of barrier he feels needs to be built - and I have strongly questioned the lack of any specifics about priorities for where and when the various segments need to be built.

It is clear, as more and more wall is built, attempts to penetrate the border will continually shift to locations without a barrier, requiring continual addition to the barrier until, effectively, the entire border will have some form of access control. Unfortunately, because the Rio Grande runs a significant length of the border - it introduces some significant problems. The barrier may not always be a concrete wall (there is little justification for this) or a metal fence. The "barrier" in some areas may well have to be technological in order to be effective.

But even if we do end up with a barrier the entire length of the border - it will not stop illegal immigration to the U.S. The data suggests it will stop about half of it. Other steps need to be taken to deal with the other half - because more than half of the illegal immigrants in our country are here due to overstaying valid visas.

Comment

• I think a wall would be effective in lowering the number of illegal crossings. It won't stop them. I also think the argument that "most illegals come in through visas and overstay" to be a bad argument.
                          Those who do the visas and use planes are most likely from other countries like Europe, not Mexico. The highest number I have seen is 40% so that would mean a border wall would help stop 60% or around half. That is still a good goal. Also, those who get in through visas have to get background checked and such to get a visa and are not very likely to be the criminal type which is what is most important to stop.

Comment

• A competent wall system can't not be effective to some degree. That's just the nature of the structure. Which leads me to believe that the real reason liberals oppose the wall is because they know it will work.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              A competent wall system can't not be effective to some degree. That's just the nature of the structure. Which leads me to believe that the real reason liberals oppose the wall is because they know it will work.
                              Not really. They used to be for a wall. The real reason is that conservatives want it. If Trump promised to "tear down that wall" in California (where liberals already HAVE a wall along the border) they would have screamed that Trump was endangering their children by letting criminals cross the border freely.

Comment

• By the way, this is a great site that lets you see what fences and barriers we already have along the border.

https://www.usatoday.com/border-wall...ve-border-map/

California, the most liberal state, seems to have the most complete pedestrian barrier (the slats) than any other place along the border.

Comment