Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Just When You Thought the Stormy Has Passed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    yeah when I started working at a law firm I had the same qualms. But we don't do criminal law here (much) - mostly civil and contract law and real estate. Which is more he said, she said, so I don't have to worry about helping someone who is "guilty" - that's left up to the court and judge and jury. But it doesn't mean someone who is innocent might have to end up spending his life in prison or vice versa.
    Either way, it can be a pretty heavy burden to bear.

The lawyer and I were kinda laughing about some TV episodes (Matlock, Mason, etc) where the attorney discovered, during the defense of their client, that the client was guilty as sin, and they found... um... 'creative' ways to allow the prosecution to win, and still make it look like they had mounted a vigorous defense.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Exactly what she said - her problem came when her client wouldn't be entirely truthful with her, and during trial prep and discovery, she would begin to doubt the innocence of her own client.
      not_guilty.jpg
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Avenatti sounds like the quintessential sleazy ambulance chaser.
        There is no need to besmirch the reputation of quintessential sleazy ambulance chasers by comparing them to Avenatti.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
          In my draft of my query letter for novel I said, "I am currently a law student at Harvard, and the only vampires I've ever encountered are other law students."

Avenatti should be disbarred at this point, imo, but I'm not in charge of that.

Yet.
          You don't sparkle in sunlight do you?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            There is no need to besmirch the reputation of quintessential sleazy ambulance chasers by comparing them to Avenatti.
            Are you referring to this guy?

https://www.kxan.com/news/investigat...book_KXAN_News

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              "whataboutism" at its finest.
              Well no, they are all related to Trump's insatiable libido. We know that Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal 'liaised' with Trump, because he paid them off before the election to keep their mouths shut.

There is, of course, the little matter that not a single one of the accusers' stories have withstood scrutiny.
              There has not been a court case to properly 'scrutinise' the women's stories...despite the demands of the 22 women. Trump says they're lying, but he himself is a notorious liar. His own sexual history lends credence to their accusations.

Comment

I heard that Avenatti was evicted from his law offices in California after falling nearly a quarter million dollars behind in rent payments as well as lost a multi-million dollar law suit filed by one of his former associates. IIRC a judge told him back when he was a regular on CNN that he needed to decide whether he wanted to be a lawyer or a cable news celebrity. He picked the latter. Looks like it was the wrong choice.
                Last edited by rogue06; 12-03-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment