Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Election: What Is Your Take...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    So a dead republican pimp won the state election in Nevada. They must really hate the democrats.

Dennis Hof, dead brothel owner from Nevada, just won in a landslide
    https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...share_facebook
    https://www.kxan.com/news/investigat...book_KXAN_News

Comment

• Much as I find ambulance chasing distasteful, I had no idea it was illegal in any state. Or was it the use of a middle-man? Why would that be illegal? Seems odd...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Much as I find ambulance chasing distasteful, I had no idea it was illegal in any state. Or was it the use of a middle-man? Why would that be illegal? Seems odd...
        https://www.kxan.com/news/investigat...ail/1425808909

It also goes on to talk about him not filing proper finance forms for his election and being fined $52K. This guy seems like an all around crook. How the heck did he get reelected? It did say he was unopposed. Heck someone should have ran against him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Actually we won. I live in one of the states where we replaced a democrat Senator with a Republican. And our house reps stayed the same mix of democrat/republican.
          You're talking about your state, probably a rural sparsely populated, rigged, red state. So, no surprise there. Nation wide your party took a drubbing. 35 house seats so far with 10 or so still outstanding, most of which are expected to go democrat as well, the largest drubbing in that respect in 40 years. Some 300+ state legislative seats were flipped, I believe some 7 Governorships flipped, and some 15 million more people voted for democrats than voted for republicans. The only reason republicans win anything at all is because the system itself is rigged in their favor, and Republican state legilators do all in their power to rig the system all the more.

So actually you lost, big time, you're on the losing side, the dumbed down side, and you are going to continue to lose because the majority of the country is not as naive and ignorant as the minority republicans have consistently proven themselves to be.

Comment

You have to love politics. It's the only game I know of where both teams get to win at the same time...
            No, Sparko is only right in his own mind, which, as is the case with those like minded, has nothing to do with reality.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
              You're talking about your state, probably a rural sparsely populated, rigged, red state. So, no surprise there. Nation wide your party took a drubbing. 35 house seats so far with 10 or so still outstanding, most of which are expected to go democrat as well, the largest drubbing in that respect in 40 years.
              Not sure where you're getting your numbers, since you're allergic to providing sources. The latest Yahoo map shows the remaining 10 undecided districts split about 50/50. I'll also note that, while it may be the largest drubbing for Republicans in 40 years, both Obama and Clinton's first-term losses easily beat that.
              Some 300+ state legislative seats were flipped, I believe some 7 Governorships flipped, and some 15 million more people voted for democrats than voted for republicans. The only reason republicans win anything at all is because the system itself is rigged in their favor, and Republican state legilators do all in their power to rig the system all the more.

So actually you lost, big time, you're on the losing side, the dumbed down side, and you are going to continue to lose because the majority of the country is not as naive and ignorant as the minority republicans have consistently proven themselves to be.
              You keep on believing that, Jim.
              Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

No, Sparko is only right in his own mind, which, as is the case with those like minded, has nothing to do with reality.
                Actually - he's right. Dems got the house, which means they can now take real steps to hold Trump accountable, instead of the rubber stamp Nunes and his cronies have been providing for the last two years. Reps retained the Senate, which means they get to continue to swing the entire judiciary further and further to the right. With 122 open seats and more coming, coupled with life terms for judges, the impact will last for decades.
                The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Not sure where you're getting your numbers, since you're allergic to providing sources. The latest Yahoo map shows the remaining 10 undecided districts split about 50/50. I'll also note that, while it may be the largest drubbing for Republicans in 40 years, both Obama and Clinton's first-term losses easily beat that.
                  Well, since we are not discussing the Obama or Clinton election, your point is moot. You got thumped, that's all there is to it, your fellow dumbells are in denial.
                  You keep on believing that, Jim.
                  I don't have to believe it OBP, ya'll make it obvious. Some day you might wake up as well!

Comment

Actually - he's right. Dems got the house, which means they can now take real steps to hold Trump accountable, instead of the rubber stamp Nunes and his cronies have been providing for the last two years. Reps retained the Senate, which means they get to continue to swing the entire judiciary further and further to the right. With 122 open seats and more coming, coupled with life terms for judges, the impact will last for decades.
                    The Senate was never really in play, but it will be in 2020.

Comment

I wouldn't be too quick on that assumption. Note that this article is from a very left-leaning source.

The bottom line is that the Senate likely to be a problem for Democrats indefinitely. The fact is - there are more red states than blue ones. So the Dems cannot hold the Senate without some "red state Dems." The Reps can without ANY "blue state Reps." And in this era of extreme polarization, Democrats will increasingly have a hard time taking seats in red states.

When you add to that the essentially uncritical nature of Trump's base - who is ready to excuse (at worst) or cheer (at best) pretty much anything he does - and I don't hold out a LOT of hope for the 2020 takeover of the Senate. Yes, Reps are defending 25 seats, so the math is reversed from 2018 - but a LOT of them are in red states and are perfectly safe.

The best hope for the Dems is to take the White House - but the 2018 results did not give me enormous cheer that they will displace Trump in 2020.

Looks like I'll likely be putting my house on the market in 2020.

Comment

Won't matter, we will basically have the federal and Supreme courts by then. That is the biggest prize in all this, and those effects will last decades...
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I wouldn't be too quick on that assumption. Note that this article is from a very left-leaning source.

The bottom line is that the Senate likely to be a problem for Democrats indefinitely. The fact is - there are more red states than blue ones. So the Dems cannot hold the Senate without some "red state Dems." The Reps can without ANY "blue state Reps." And in this era of extreme polarization, Democrats will increasingly have a hard time taking seats in red states.

When you add to that the essentially uncritical nature of Trump's base - who is ready to excuse (at worst) or cheer (at best) pretty much anything he does - and I don't hold out a LOT of hope for the 2020 takeover of the Senate. Yes, Reps are defending 25 seats, so the math is reversed from 2018 - but a LOT of them are in red states and are perfectly safe.

The best hope for the Dems is to take the White House - but the 2018 results did not give me enormous cheer that they will displace Trump in 2020.

I dare say that the base for both sides is largely uncritical. So many people vote for someone for the wrong reasons that I can only hope that the stupidity is more or less evenly balanced between sides.
                          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Not all of so called red states are still all that red. A lot of people are catching on to the republican scam. The Florida Senate race is heading for a recount, in Arizona's Senate race Sinema is now winning over republican Mcsally, Tester won in Montana, Beto Orourke nearly flipped Texas, in Maine the republican nutcase Lapage's seat was won by a democrat. There are 10's of millions more democrats in the country than there are knuckledraggers and many republicans seem to be wising up, so I wouldn't put the house on the market just yet, I think the republican jig is up.

Comment

Why is the Senate likely to be a problem "indefinitely"? They Democrats had Senate control just a few years ago, as part of an 8-year control of the Senate from 2007 until 2015, including having a whopping 58 senator majority at one point--60 if you count Bernie Sanders and Joe Lieberman.

It's true they might be in a bind regarding the Senate right now, but I don't see it as systematically favoring Republicans.

Comment

You're talking about your state, probably a rural sparsely populated, rigged, red state. So, no surprise there. Nation wide your party took a drubbing. 35 house seats so far with 10 or so still outstanding, most of which are expected to go democrat as well, the largest drubbing in that respect in 40 years. Some 300+ state legislative seats were flipped, I believe some 7 Governorships flipped, and some 15 million more people voted for democrats than voted for republicans. The only reason republicans win anything at all is because the system itself is rigged in their favor, and Republican state legilators do all in their power to rig the system all the more.

dims.gif

You sound angry JimL. If you won so greatly, why are you so upset?

==
                                The only reason republicans win anything at all is because the system itself is rigged in their favor, and Republican state legilators do all in their power to rig the system all the more.
                                Um how is the system rigged in favor of the republicans, JimL?
                                some 15 million more people voted for democrats than voted for republicans.
                                You do realize how state elections work don't you JimL? Votes in one state don't count in another.
                                Last edited by Sparko; 11-09-2018, 07:27 AM.

Comment