Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Damien Chazelle omits "dramatization" of placing flag on Moon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    To assert that the Apollo Moon landing was anything other than a distinctly American achievement and a source of pride for our country is a blatant rewriting of history. Armstrong and Alrdin planting the flag and saluting it is one of the most iconic moments in the history of space exploration.
    hey MM, we finally agree on something. It is really, really stupid to try to rewrite the history of the event that way.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      I'm sure it was well-made with good acting. The problem is that they turned Armstrong from an American patriot into a liberal mouth piece.

You should go watch THE RIGHT STUFF instead.
      How does the movie make Armstrong a "liberal mouth piece"? I can't find anything about it, and it would be surprising considering Armstrong's sons approve of the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        How does the movie make Armstrong a "liberal mouth piece"? I can't find anything about it, and it would be surprising considering Armstrong's sons approve of the movie.
        Were they aware that part of the apparent motivation of eliminating the scene was apparently to downplay and devalue their father's strong patriotic beliefs? As Ryan Gosling made clear he doesn't think Armstrong "viewed himself as an American hero" and the movie wants to turn a distinctly American achievement into "a human achievement."

Further, do his sons share their father's strong patriotic beliefs? I mean, one's children don't always follow in their father's footsteps and as any parent can attest they often have children that do things that they don't approve of and oppose. In fact the Bible explicitly tells us that children will rebel against their parents.

The son of Michael Behe, a leading figure in the Intelligent Design movement, has announced that he is an "outspoken atheist" (Leo's own term). The daughter of Matthew J. Slick, the president of Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry (CARM), announced that she is an atheist. The son of Tony Campolo, a leader of the Red-Letter Christian movement, announced that he no longer believes in God.

OTOH, the son of Madalyn Murray O'Hair, probably the most outspoken atheist in the U.S. during the second half of the 20th century, is an evangelistic minister.

History is full of such examples where the children didn't follow in their parent's footsteps. American Revolutionary leader Benjamin Franklin had a son, William, who was a staunch Tory. And then William had a son who rebelled against him and became Benjamin's secretary when he was a diplomat in France.

Joseph Patrick "Joe" Kennedy was pretty conservative but his sons, JFK, RFK, and "Teddy" were decidedly liberal. Conservative author David Horowitz had parents who were dyed-in-the-wool members of the Communist Party.[1] And getting away from politics and religion, Ernest Hemingway and his non-hunting, teetotaler sons

And just because George Herbert Walker and Prescott Bush were very active in the leadership of the eugenics societies doesn't automatically mean that either George Herbert Walker Bush or George Walker Bush (or any other living member of the Bush family) support eugenics.

1. One recent study published in the British Journal of Political Science found that parents with strong political views often have children with very dissimilar views once those children become adults: Why Does the Apple Fall Far from the Tree? How Early Political Socialization Prompts Parent-Child Dissimilarity

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Were they aware that part of the apparent motivation of eliminating the scene was apparently to downplay and devalue their father's strong patriotic beliefs? As Ryan Gosling made clear he doesn't think Armstrong "viewed himself as an American hero" and the movie wants to turn a distinctly American achievement into "a human achievement."

Further, do his sons share their father's strong patriotic beliefs? I mean, one's children don't always follow in their father's footsteps and as any parent can attest they often have children that do things that they don't approve of and oppose. In fact the Bible explicitly tells us that children will rebel against their parents.

The son of Michael Behe, a leading figure in the Intelligent Design movement, has announced that he is an "outspoken atheist" (Leo's own term). The daughter of Matthew J. Slick, the president of Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry (CARM), announced that she is an atheist. The son of Tony Campolo, a leader of the Red-Letter Christian movement, announced that he no longer believes in God.

OTOH, the son of Madalyn Murray O'Hair, probably the most outspoken atheist in the U.S. during the second half of the 20th century, is an evangelistic minister.

History is full of such examples where the children didn't follow in their parent's footsteps. American Revolutionary leader Benjamin Franklin had a son, William, who was a staunch Tory. And then William had a son who rebelled against him and became Benjamin's secretary when he was a diplomat in France.

Joseph Patrick "Joe" Kennedy was pretty conservative but his sons, JFK, RFK, and "Teddy" were decidedly liberal. Conservative author David Horowitz had parents who were dyed-in-the-wool members of the Communist Party.[1] And getting away from politics and religion, Ernest Hemingway and his non-hunting, teetotaler sons

And just because George Herbert Walker and Prescott Bush were very active in the leadership of the eugenics societies doesn't automatically mean that either George Herbert Walker Bush or George Walker Bush (or any other living member of the Bush family) support eugenics.

1. One recent study published in the British Journal of Political Science found that parents with strong political views often have children with very dissimilar views once those children become adults: Why Does the Apple Fall Far from the Tree? How Early Political Socialization Prompts Parent-Child Dissimilarity
          Why do you think the purpose was to downplay and devalue political beliefs? It's true that one's children are not necessarily the best arbiters on one's portrayal, but they're at the top of the list of the best potential advocates for accurate portrayal. Ultimately, their opinion doesn't matter as much as the evidence, which is why I was asking for it.

Comment

And don't forget Ronald Reagan's kids.
            When I Survey....

Comment

00000000000000arb1aab.jpg

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

00000000000000ars1ab.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30836[/ATTACH]
                  Fify
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Fify
                    Why are you treating the "First" as something special? Quit denigrating everyone else, hater.
                    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Why are you treating the "First" as something special? Quit denigrating everyone else, hater.
                      You offended me!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        You offended me!
                        Tissue?
                        00000000000000ars.gif

Comment