Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump bans reporter for 'asking the wrong questions'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump bans reporter for 'asking the wrong questions'

So,

CNN's Kaitlan Collins, asking questions on behalf of reporters from a large number of networks as a pool reporter, ruffled DT's feathers and so she was banned from a Rose Garden event.

Virtually all reporting outlets, including Fox News, stood behind her in solidarity as a stern rebuke to what are nothing less than autocratic, authoritarian tactics to try to subdue the Free Press.

So my question to the Trump supporters:

Did he go too far, or do you support this sort of attack on the Free Press as part of your commitment to 'anything but Hillary'.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

What were the questions? So far, there's insufficient data to make an informed decision...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I am glad to see that so many agree on this.

Comment

how about a link so we can see what happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          how about a link so we can see what happened?
          https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...aitlan-collins

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
            So,

CNN's Kaitlan Collins, asking questions on behalf of reporters from a large number of networks as a pool reporter, ruffled DT's feathers and so she was banned from a Rose Garden event.

Virtually all reporting outlets, including Fox News, stood behind her in solidarity as a stern rebuke to what are nothing less than autocratic, authoritarian tactics to try to subdue the Free Press.

Did he go too far, or do you support this sort of attack on the Free Press as part of your commitment to 'anything but Hillary'.

Jim
            Pretty much the same as what happened back during the Obama Administration when he declared they would treat Fox News "like an opponent," and made good on the threat by forbidding the network (not just a single reporter) from participating in all executive branch news-making events (not just a single event) -- which only failed after other networks admirably refused to participate if Fox News were excluded.

FWIU, Fox returned the favor and protested the attempted exclusion of Collins. Good for them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              What were the questions? So far, there's insufficient data to make an informed decision...
              If she wasn't being disruptive that should not matter. A president should not be trying to ban a reporter (or an entire network) from a news conference (or all events) just because you don't like their questions, coverage or whatever.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                I am glad to see that so many agree on this.
                I need to wait to see what Breitbart tells me to think.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  So,

Jim
                  Not a "Trump supporter" IMO, and I think he went farther than he should've, but I'm not so sure Hillary would've been any better:

Note that Chozick is a fan of Hillary.
                  (warning - veiled profane language in link)

ETA: Also:

link
                  Last edited by One Bad Pig; 07-26-2018, 01:47 PM.
                  Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The provincial government here has done the same thing, several times, banning anyone from the only conservative media in the province from attending news conferences and other things.

It's wrong both ways. The difference is that no other media here came to the support of the banned reporters.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      If she wasn't being disruptive that should not matter. A president should not be trying to ban a reporter (or an entire network) from a news conference (or all events) just because you don't like their questions, coverage or whatever.
                      Well, disruptive would be a little subjective here but from the article listed:

Shouting questions and refusing to leave would certainly fall under unruly at least...

Also in question from the article is, who is responsible for the banning? Was it Trump or Sanders or...?
                      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        The provincial government here has done the same thing, several times, banning anyone from the only conservative media in the province from attending news conferences and other things.

It's wrong both ways. The difference is that no other media here came to the support of the banned reporters.
                        That is sad ...
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          Well, disruptive would be a little subjective here but from the article listed:

Shouting questions and refusing to leave would certainly fall under unruly at least...

Also in question from the article is, who is responsible for the banning? Was it Trump or Sanders or...?
                          I've seen a lot of reporters shout out questions, especially as the person giving the briefing was leaving. I don't think that is being unruly. All indications are (from the comments of other reporters about the event) she did nothing that was considered out of bounds from their perspectives.

Jim

Comment

In other words, she attempted to embarrass the president while he was meeting with a foreign dignitary, and so he bans her from a subsequent press conference.

I don't actually have a problem with this.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              In other words, she attempted to embarrass the president while he was meeting with a foreign dignitary, and so he bans her from a subsequent press conference.

I don't actually have a problem with this.
                              She was a press pool reporter ostensibly asking questions all the networks she represented wanted answers to.

It's the job of the press to push on uncomfortable issues with those in government and in power. If the press stops doing that or is forcably muted, then our Freedoms are in danger. So you should have a problem with it.

Jim
                              Last edited by oxmixmudd; 07-26-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment