Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump bans reporter for 'asking the wrong questions'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
    Why yes they do. And while Obama had some battles with c the media, this president is waging all out war wit it, adopting tactics used mostly by dictators and autocrat to try to discredit their voice ('Fake News'). I don't excuse Obama, but this president in volume and quantity meets or exceeds any predicts sorry in terms of an all our assault on the media.

Jim
    [1]).

And then there's the whole "Obamessiah" thing.

Like when Newsweek editor Evan Thomas was doing when he declared on MSNBC'sThe American Prospect that,

And of course there's when Mark Morford, columnist and culture critic for the San Francisco Chronicle
    "many spiritually advanced people I know (not coweringly religious, mind you, but deeply spiritual) identify Obama as a Lightworker, that rare kind of attuned being who has the ability to lead us not merely to new foreign policies or health care plans or whatnot, but who can actually help usher in a new way of being on the planet, of relating and connecting and engaging with this bizarre earthly experiment. These kinds of people actually help us evolve. They are philosophers and peacemakers of a very high order, and they speak not just to reason or emotion, but to the soul."

Or Florida A&M professor Barbara A. Thompson, who wrote The Gospel According to Apostle Barack: In Search of a More Perfect Political Union as "Heaven Here on Earth."

And let's not forget Barbara Walters

The fact is, the above exemplified the attitude that a substantial portion of his supporters believed. As Michelle Obama put it, "We have an amazing story to tell. This president has brought us out of the dark and into the light" (Matthew 4:16; cf. Micah 7:8)

1. For one example it was only after the various scandals forced Obama's Green Czar Van Jones to resign that the New York Times finally covered the story and most of it was having to backtrack and inform their readers about what had been going on.
    Last edited by rogue06; 07-27-2018, 02:24 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Why? Until recently I only debated scientific topics in nat sci. And if nat Sci hadn't gotten to the point we only see posts there once a week or so, that is likely where I'd still be.

So what you are saying is that since I've never debated politics before on TWeb I necessarily am disqualified from having any legitimate voice now?

Jim
      I'm saying that you're rather pointedly ignoring Obama's worse precedent in favor of freaking out over Trump. Heck, it would help immensely if you even claimed to dislike Obama's actions back then.

Your evident terminal case of Trump Derangement Syndrome is not helping. At least a veneer of objectivity on your part would help me take your points seriously.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I'm saying that you're rather pointedly ignoring Obama's worse precedent in favor of freaking out over Trump. Heck, it would help immensely if you even claimed to dislike Obama's actions back then.
        I already did that. I am no fan of Obama or Hillary, but in my view Trump is an order of magnitude worse that either of them.

Your evident terminal case of Trump Derangement Syndrome is not helping. At least a veneer of objectivity on your part would help me take your points seriously.
        Sticks and Stones love. Calling names doesn't exactly help your case for objectivity.

I can't make you read my posts without the filter you wear that says anyone against Trump is irrational. You see what you want to see. Trump is a really bad player and his actions warrant grave concern ... at least to those that do not feel he is their only option for 'waging war with the liberals'.

What I see in folks that banter TDS about is an irrational commitment to a man that is only loyal to himself and is willing to throw anyone under the bus if it will make him come out the better. Witness his handling of Cohen, Sessions, anyone that became a liability. That goes for Evangelical Christians or whoever has been foolish enough to hitch themselves to his bandwagon.

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          [1]).

And then there's the whole "Obamessiah" thing.

Like when Newsweek editor Evan Thomas was doing when he declared on MSNBC'sThe American Prospect that,

And of course there's when Mark Morford, columnist and culture critic for the San Francisco Chronicle
          "many spiritually advanced people I know (not coweringly religious, mind you, but deeply spiritual) identify Obama as a Lightworker, that rare kind of attuned being who has the ability to lead us not merely to new foreign policies or health care plans or whatnot, but who can actually help usher in a new way of being on the planet, of relating and connecting and engaging with this bizarre earthly experiment. These kinds of people actually help us evolve. They are philosophers and peacemakers of a very high order, and they speak not just to reason or emotion, but to the soul."

Or Florida A&M professor Barbara A. Thompson, who wrote The Gospel According to Apostle Barack: In Search of a More Perfect Political Union as "Heaven Here on Earth."

And let's not forget Barbara Walters

The fact is, the above exemplified the attitude that a substantial portion of his supporters believed. As Michelle Obama put it, "We have an amazing story to tell. This president has brought us out of the dark and into the light" (Matthew 4:16; cf. Micah 7:8)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29267[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29268[/ATTACH]
          Second Coming

1. For one example it was only after the various scandals forced Obama's Green Czar Van Jones to resign that the New York Times finally covered the story and most of it was having to backtrack and inform their readers about what had been going on.
          Rogue - Obama is no longer president. Obama is not the one cowering before Putin and acting like a man compromised by the Russian government. Trump is. Obama is not the one undermining our relationship with NATO, Trump is. It doesn't matter what Obama WAS - he is history. TRUMP IS our president and the danger HE presents to the republic are the issues of concern to me right now. IF I had been debating politics when Obama was president, we'd probably agree on a lot of things about the issues with him ... but I was not. But I am here discussing the problems with Trump. And it just doesn't matter if Obama did some things that were worse - excepting that we survived them and so you can make the point that if we survived X similar thing under Obama that was worse that x similar thing under Trump, them maybe x isn't something we should care about.

But Obama did not present as a man compromised by the Russians. And Trump does. And Obama did not try to undermine NATO, and Trump appears to be. And while Obama may well have had it in for Fox news, Trump has it in for any and ALL media unfavorable to him. And that is worse in that he actively engages in newspeak. And so those things have my eye right now.

Jim
          My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

See my previous thread on Hurd editorial ...
            I read and much of it dived into conspiracy theory stuff that would be dismissed if it was any other president. Give me stuff that deals with evidence and not conspiracy theories and I might take it more seriously.

Pixie, that is just stupid, and in point of fact establishes my point. This president, most recently has been shown to have lied about several payouts to silence women he's had affairs with. His antics on that front certainly don't meet any definition of moral I've seen recently. So if we are to speak hypocrisy, where are all the Christians that were all over Bill Clinton during the Lewinsky affair? This president can boast about how his celebrity status allows him unfettered access to any and all female body parts, have multiple affairs, even when his wife is pregnant, and yet not raise one 'moral majority' eyebrow. And you have the audicity to pretend I'm talking about the morality of tossing out a reporter when I reference the silence of the 'moral majority'?
            Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 07-28-2018, 12:06 AM.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Rogue - Obama is no longer president. Obama is not the one cowering before Putin and acting like a man compromised by the Russian government. Trump is. Obama is not the one undermining our relationship with NATO, Trump is. It doesn't matter what Obama WAS - he is history. TRUMP IS our president and the danger HE presents to the republic are the issues of concern to me right now. IF I had been debating politics when Obama was president, we'd probably agree on a lot of things about the issues with him ... but I was not. But I am here discussing the problems with Trump. And it just doesn't matter if Obama did some things that were worse - excepting that we survived them and so you can make the point that if we survived X similar thing under Obama that was worse that x similar thing under Trump, them maybe x isn't something we should care about.

But Obama did not present as a man compromised by the Russians. And Trump does. And Obama did not try to undermine NATO, and Trump appears to be. And while Obama may well have had it in for Fox news, Trump has it in for any and ALL media unfavorable to him. And that is worse in that he actively engages in newspeak. And so those things have my eye right now.

Jim
              Lots of opinion, little in actual evidence.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Jim
                So I guess you'll now drop this "Obama had some battles with c the media" nonsense as an excuse?

And as I said once again what was fine and dandy just a couple years ago is cause for panic today. Behavior from a reporter that was considered horrendous during the previous Administration and got the perpetrator branded as a racist by the MSM (because obviously that's the only reason he'd shout out a question) is now heralded as almost heroic by them now. And a reaction from Trump that is tame in comparison to how Obama responded to the very few who didn't worship him as the Second Coming (starting secret criminal investigations and siccing the IRS on them) is the end of the First Amendment and all the proof needed the former is despot.

All because Trump didn't declare WWIII in Helsinki. All because he got caught whispering to the Russians how he'd be more flexible in their dealings after the election, cancelled a deal to help Poland protect themselves from the Russians and gave the Russians control of 20% of our uranium... er, oh wait.
                Last edited by rogue06; 07-28-2018, 12:22 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So I guess you'll now drop this "Obama had some battles with c the media" nonsense as an excuse?

And as I said once again what was fine and dandy just a couple years ago is cause for panic today. Behavior from a reporter that was considered horrendous during the previous Administration and got the perpetrator branded as a racist by the MSM (because obviously that's the only reason he'd shout out a question) is now heralded as almost heroic by them now. And a reaction from Trump that is tame in comparison to how Obama responded to the very few who didn't worship him as the Second Coming (starting secret criminal investigations and siccing the IRS on them) is the end of the First Amendment and all the proof needed the former is despot.

All because Trump didn't declare WWIII in Helsinki
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Kind of like with North Korea. There was actually a poll of the audience of Netflix's "The Break with Michelle Wolf" where they were asked the question "Are You Sort Of Hoping We Don't Get Peace With North Korea So You Wouldn't Have To Give Trump Credit?" and 71% said "yes"
                    Last edited by rogue06; 07-28-2018, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Kind of like with North Korea. There was actually a poll of the audience of Netflix's "The Break with Michelle Wolf" where they were asked the question "Are You Sort Of Hoping We Don't Get Peace With North Korea So You Wouldn't Have To Give Trump Credit?" and 71% said "yes"
                      Which is sad. If the Iran deal would have actually been something that kept Iran from building nukes, I would have been happy with it. One less enemy or even a less dangerous one works for me.
                      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        So you openly admit you are trying to change focus. Let's not discuss Trump's bad case but Obama, liberals or anyone else. Right? It is rather easy to see that you are so eager to try to avoid discussing the essense and you and others in here think you can close discussion that easily. You are not pushing for higher standards but are eager to ignore or turn focus away. There is not much salt of the earth in that but it may work politically.
                        It's just the standard "whataboutism" of the Evangelicals around here Charles. Next thing is that we'll have Rogue posting a zillion paragraphs on how Obama and Clinton were much worse. Oh wait...he did.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          It's just the standard "whataboutism" of the Evangelicals around here Charles. Next thing is that we'll have Rogue posting a zillion paragraphs on how Obama and Clinton were much worse. Oh wait...he did.
                          This would seem to be a fundamental and probably irreconcilable difference in how we perceive reality, and likely makes fruitful discourse impossible.
                          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

It's the standard "our moral standards are so low, that absolutely any bad behavior is allowed so long as creative and imaginative people can make any analogy whatsoever, no matter how tenuous, to anything Obama or Clinton ever did even once."

It's a continuous demonstration of what immoral gutter crawling scumbags the modern US conservatives are.
                            "I hate him passionately", he's "a demonic force" - Tucker Carlson, in private, on Donald Trump
                            "Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic socialism" - George Orwell
                            "[Capitalism] as it exists today is, in my opinion, the real source of evils. I am convinced there is only one way to eliminate these grave evils, namely through the establishment of a socialist economy" - Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                              I expect our resident liberals to trot in here at any moment and accuse us of "whataboutism", but that would falsely imply that what Trump did is anywhere near as troubling as Obama's borderline criminal -- if not actually criminal -- suppression of the free press.
                              Boy did he call it.

Comment

It's called putting it in context. It's noting the polar opposite reactions that the MSM had just a few short years ago when the person they adored as "sort of God" did far worse things.
                                It is only called putting it in context if the "context" is not mainly provided in order to change focus or aim directly at the tu quoque fallacy that I have seen so often in here.

MM himself said it directly: "The point of comparison is to highlight the hypocrisy of liberals who turned a blind eye to Obama who threatened reporters with jail time simply for doing their jobs and yet want to crucify Trump for doing something that's hardly even worth mentioning." What is there to miss? How can you fail to see that this is an attempt to change the focus? He says so himself.

Comment